Death Star Surface Panel

t2sides

Master Member
Hello All,
Wanted to share a few Death Star Surface projects finally completed. This is the first of 3. I have been way behind catching up and posting these projects, they were a fun collaboration with the super talented Dan (3DImpact). His builds are here:

These tiles represent miniature versions of the actual 2'x2' tiles. These are approximately 3"x3" tiles. After we created our own versions of those two setups, I saw this in the "Light and Magic" retrospective for Star Wars, and it motivated me to cast dozens more tiles and recreate it. (77 tiles for this thing) The original layout was Huge! It was 22' across by 14' high (you can just make out a 'trench' to the right. My build is 32" x 20.5".

Floor1.jpg

So as I started building it, I realized it would be fun to place the tiles used in the 'strafing run' shot with the four round towers. (they reversed the shot on film)

Floor2.jpg

So I created a fun huge hybrid tile setup that incorporates the screen matched "Light and Magic" tiles all around the perimeter, with screen matched tiles with the above scene blowing up the 4 towers. Now this is not meant to be an 'Exact' Replica, rather a fun project to emulate what we saw on screen and what they built. So thing's aren't 'perfect', but they sure were fun to create. I didn't get the lighting in the shots right, but you get the idea I hope.

Laser1a.jpg

Which compared looks like this

Laser2a.jpg

So here's a few more shots of the setup.

Laser3.jpg

Laser4.jpg

Laser5.jpg

Laser6.jpg

Laser8.jpg

And the raw cast tiles mocked up before paint/arranging.

IMG_2866.jpg

Lastly,
Here they are setting up the Pyro explosives, and the similar view from my tiles.
1.jpg

and here's the model
IMG_8372.jpg

What a FUN project this was, and couldn't have don it without Dan's help!!

I'll try to post the other 2 projects, Parking Lot Trench Pyro and Parking Lot Wall tile setup in the next day or two.

-Sean

Love it!!! What a fun project and a beautiful end result. The outdoor direct-sun lighting really highlights the wonderful detail in this and I love the splashes of color like the original that break up the monotone gray and add more variety.

And until you started on this I never had looked closely enough to notice that the onscreen shot was mirrored! Funny after all these years and countless thousands of viewings that I can still see new things in this classic. Love it!

Really nicely done, Sean!

Dan

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back