Disney delay Snow White for another year.

Right. I suppose that could be PR spin on a poorly received picture, or it could be accurate but still a boneheaded move to release the pic. Either's possible.
The thing I'm not sure about is whether these images were intentionally released by Disney or if they were leaked, because I have seen some articles/videos say that they were leaked while others don't say either way.

I had thought the original pics (the seven dirty hippies) were official. Maybe they were spy shots.

Whatever. It doesn't change the substance of my point much. "Magical creatures" is an odd re-name for "dwarves" and they still didn't have any evidence of tracking dots/etc. I think that was the intended final form at the time.
If the actors in those (leaked) shots were intended to be stand ins then they wouldn't be wearing full costumes but green or blue "ninja suits" instead to make them easier to remove in post. Then for mocap, they'd be wearing some sort of mocap suit for the cameras to track their movements. So I agree, these photos are almost certainly showing what Disney had originally intended the dwarves/bandits to be originally.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether these images were intentionally released by Disney or if they were leaked, because I have seen some articles/videos say that they were leaked while others don't say either way.

As far as I can tell the Daily Mail article was first, they even have a video. Definitely a leak. I think it's unlikely to be an intentional PR leak by Disney, since you would think it would appear in a friendly or neutral publication initially.

Disney seems to be in the habit of "leaking" (airquotes) news that they don't want to officially admit, to see what kind of response they will get. I think it's the same thing with the Star Wars reboot "leak" that happened last week.

I heard that there was one director who said he would like to take a stab at it, sort of half heartedly, but then when pressed he said he thought about it and that he would actually give it a shot if given the opportunity. Were there other articles about a reboot actually being considered as a possibility by Disney?

I heard that there was one director who said he would like to take a stab at it, sort of half heartedly, but then when pressed he said he thought about it and that he would actually give it a shot if given the opportunity. Were there other articles about a reboot actually being considered as a possibility by Disney?

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. It got picked up everywhere. Could just be Matthew Vaughn talking off the cuff, but my spider-sense is tingling...

As far as I can tell the Daily Mail article was first, they even have a video. Definitely a leak. I think it's unlikely to be an intentional PR leak by Disney, since you would think it would appear in a friendly or neutral publication initially.
You're probably right. It seems that leaking images to test the waters, so to speak, after principal photography has wrapped is the wrong time to be doing that sort of thing. If they were trying to test the waters the time to leas those images would have been during pre-production or early production before they've shot a single scene with the dwarves/bandits. Now they have to go and spend a lot of time and money to roto out the existing bandits and replace them with the CG dwarves.

I haven't personally seen any word on a Star Wars reboot, but it doesn't really surprise me. Disney has so badly mismanaged the IP that I think a lot of people kind of suspected a hard reboot was in the cards at some point... I just think most of us figured it'd be ten years from now, not as a desperate last grab to recapture the fan base they've alienated.

When your best story is only a handful of years from being fifty years old, and with several of your principal cast members dead and buried, it's only a matter of time until famously money-hungry Disney looks at the toy sales. "Hmm... what trilogy sells the most toys? What do kids want to play with these days? Where can we make the most money?"

I personally believe the Prequels will not enjoy their current popularity for much longer, particularly as the next generation of kids grows up - kids that didn't grow up with the Prequels as their SW. Nostalgia is blinding all the terminally online 25 year olds into believing the PT is the best SW has to offer... and whether they're right or wrong, there's one interesting part of this that I think Disney must have noticed by now. The same thing isn't happening for the Sequels. They have no audience.

So, what Star Wars still makes the most money? Where can Disney expend a minimum of effort to try and recapture some of the fans they drove away? What else makes sense, if not an OT reboot, except this time with all Disney IP?

You can bet they won't be using found lightsaber parts if they can invent a geometry that they then own all the rights to. Good luck with that gigantic unlicensed replica lightsaber industry from which Disney sees not a penny.

When your best story is only a handful of years from being fifty years old, and with several of your principal cast members dead and buried, it's only a matter of time until famously money-hungry Disney looks at the toy sales. "Hmm... what trilogy sells the most toys? What do kids want to play with these days? Where can we make the most money?"
I hate to break it you but all major corporations, including major movie studios, are money hungry, esp. if they're publicly traded. As I've said many times before, they're all in the business of making money, these companies only differ in how they make their money. I can guarantee you that Warners will eventually talk about rebooting Harry Potter just like how they've rebooted their DC movies countless times before. They're all the same and things like artistic integrity or pleasing the fans don't matter to them. What matters is the bottom line because they have investors, board members, and stock holders to please.

Agreed Riceball , so we have to somehow convince them that if they are true to the integrity of their IPs and make use of quality writing, they WILL make more money.

Like they are children, we must reward them for good behavior and punish them for the bad. This is why I refused to go to the theater to see Indy DoD, even though I am a HUGE Indy fan. And this is why I go to movies I love as many times as I can. It's the only power we really have; not opining on the internet.

Somebody above (sorry I don't remember) said that those of us who rail against movies still pay to see them. I'm as guilty as the rest; I paid for all 3 Star Wars ST movies. I regret that.

<SANDMAN REF>If a thousand of us dream it at the same time it will come true.</SANDMAN REF>

:D

What else makes sense, if not an OT reboot, except this time with all Disney IP?

It won't happen any time soon. Definitely not as long as they are making content in the original continuity. And why would you start with episode 4? If they remake they should start with The Phantom Menace, and they won't do that until the generation that grew up with the Prequels (Millennials) ages out of the prime spending demographic.

It won't happen any time soon. Definitely not as long as they are making content in the original continuity. And why would you start with episode 4? If they remake they should start with The Phantom Menace, and they won't do that until the generation that grew up with the Prequels (Millennials) ages out of the prime spending demographic.
Because of all of the... people... that think that Luke Skywalker=Star Wars. Gotta get them back on board before they die out, for whatever reason.

I personally believe the Prequels will not enjoy their current popularity for much longer, particularly as the next generation of kids grows up - kids that didn't grow up with the Prequels as their SW. Nostalgia is blinding all the terminally online 25 year olds into believing the PT is the best SW has to offer... and whether they're right or wrong, there's one interesting part of this that I think Disney must have noticed by now. The same thing isn't happening for the Sequels. They have no audience.
What's your source for the younger generation not embracing the Sequels and viewing them as "Their" Star Wars?

Because, I'm still a slightly active 501st/Rebel Legion member, managing to get out an do on average an event every other month or so, so, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the general public and general fan perspective on Star Wars, and I can tell you with certainty that for as much doom and gloom and anger and bile espoused on forums like this and on Social Media platforms, the Sequel Trilogy and it's Characters are very much loved and very much cemented as not just Star Wars, but the Future of Star Wars. I have done multiple events that have Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Leia and other popular OT characters, but if there is a Kylo or a Rey there the kids will run right past these giants of the OT to get their pictures with those two and hug them.

What's your source for the younger generation not embracing the Sequels and viewing them as "Their" Star Wars?

Because, I'm still a slightly active 501st/Rebel Legion member, managing to get out an do on average an event every other month or so, so, I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on the general public and general fan perspective on Star Wars, and I can tell you with certainty that for as much doom and gloom and anger and bile espoused on forums like this and on Social Media platforms, the Sequel Trilogy and it's Characters are very much loved and very much cemented as not just Star Wars, but the Future of Star Wars. I have done multiple events that have Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Leia and other popular OT characters, but if there is a Kylo or a Rey there the kids will run right past these giants of the OT to get their pictures with those two and hug them.
I agree. Just like the PT was Star Wars for a previous generation, the ST is Star Wars for the current generation. And that's likely why Disney has embraced the ST so wholeheartedly with things like Galaxy's Edge and the Starcruiser. They know that these kids are the future of the franchise, they're going to be the ones that will buy up all of the figures, model kits, misc. collectibles, etc. They did the same with the PT, there was a heavy merchandising push and focus on it when they came out. Most of the merchandise coming out was themed with the PT despite all of the grumblings of us old timers here on the RPF. And eventually, Disney, or whoever winds up owning the IP down the line, will create another ST or a complete reboot and that will become Star Wars to another generation of kids and the PT and ST fans of today will become the grumpy old OT fans of tomorrow.

It's anecdotal, I suppose, but I'm not as in touch with the franchise as I used to be. Certainly not as much as a 501st member.

I guess I'm basing this on the Sequel toys not selling in stores, more than anything else.

Disney seems to be in the habit of "leaking" (airquotes) news that they don't want to officially admit, to see what kind of response they will get. I think it's the same thing with the Star Wars reboot "leak" that happened last week.

All studios have been caught doing that both to test things out and then to bait fans. The whole "fan-baiting" thing was used, for example, with She-Hulk. They released images and then when fans thought it was stupid, they used that reaction to get media to attack the fans as -ists and -phobes to try to kill the legit bad press they were getting.

I agree. Just like the PT was Star Wars for a previous generation, the ST is Star Wars for the current generation. And that's likely why Disney has embraced the ST so wholeheartedly with things like Galaxy's Edge and the Starcruiser. They know that these kids are the future of the franchise, they're going to be the ones that will buy up all of the figures, model kits, misc. collectibles, etc. They did the same with the PT, there was a heavy merchandising push and focus on it when they came out. Most of the merchandise coming out was themed with the PT despite all of the grumblings of us old timers here on the RPF. And eventually, Disney, or whoever winds up owning the IP down the line, will create another ST or a complete reboot and that will become Star Wars to another generation of kids and the PT and ST fans of today will become the grumpy old OT fans of tomorrow.
Whatever the flaws of the various ST films, Star Wars as a setting remains undeniably popular and a great arena in which to play and tell stories. The ST environment is no exception. And one thing that everyone -- even here -- agreed with was that the cast of the ST was terrific, and the characters were generally enjoyable, even if the writing surrounding them was not universally loved. Nobody's slagged off any of the performances, and as a result, I can see how kids would absolutely resonate with the newer characters.

Look, the bottom line is...time marches on. This year, on an impromptu basis, I threw on my old Indy outfit to stand around and hand out candy. Now, admittedly, I've got a beard these days, so it kinda throws the look, but only a handful of folks recognized me. One kid said "Your movie is coming out!" (to which I responded, "It already did!" and left it at that). Other folks kinda recognized it, but hardly any remarked on it. Why? Simple:

The stuff we loved as kids, and that we think is universally appreciated...is not. It's stuff that is "of its time," that being our time, and that time is...giving way to what younger folks are into. This is at least partially why, I suspect, Dial of Destiny didn't do $1B in box office worldwide. A lot of the moviegoing public doesn't have a strong connection to Indiana Jones.

In that sense, from a purely business perspective, I think the ST was a smart move and basically presented a "Star Wars" for a younger audience that could be "theirs" the same way the PT was for the younger Millennials.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back