Disney delay Snow White for another year.

joberg

Legendary Member
Well, well, well...If the Mouse Corp had listened to the RPF (we told you so):lol:
Dwarfs are going to be CGI (the little people in Hollywood have to thank Peter Dinklage for that one:rolleyes:)...

New poster:
1698665906053.png

Aside from the horrible decision to only hire one person with dwarfism to play all seven dwarfs through mocap, the look of the characters is terrible. It looks like they took the 3D character models from the original 2001 Shrek movie (and didn't bother to improve them).
1000004502.jpg

Another issue I have with with Disney is that they don't really create anything original anymore. They keep doing these "live-action" versions of their beloved animated features, playing on people's nostalgia to get them interested. And all the properties they bought - Marvel, Lucasfilm - while they're making new stories, they're still relying on nostalgia again, the recognition of the established characters and universes that came with those properties. While I still enjoy some of what they produce from those existing properties, my interest has waned significantly over the years. I guess even nostalgia has its limits.

Well, well, well...If the Mouse Corp had listened to the RPF (we told you so):lol:
Dwarfs are going to be CGI (the little people in Hollywood have to thank Peter Dinklage for that one:rolleyes:)...

New poster:
View attachment 1756779

That looks so cheap (the uncanny valley of Polar Express bad) it can’t possibly be real.

IMG_1721.jpeg
IMG_1722.jpeg

Disney really needs to follow the sage advice of Homer Simpson on this one…

Last edited:
Aside from the horrible decision to only hire one person with dwarfism to play all seven dwarfs through mocap

where did you read that? edit: nevermind, found it

Can we assume they have already filmed the whole movie with the actors from that leaked shot? Is there going to be odd eyelines to deal with? They wouldn't reshoot everything would they?

where did you read that?

Can we assume they have already filmed the whole movie with the actors from that leaked shot? Is there going to be odd eyelines to deal with? They wouldn't reshoot everything would they?

Re-shooting half (or more) of the movie would be normal with Disney lately. Kennedy has been doing it all the time on the Lucasfilm shows.

In all fairness, there is a distinct visual difference between say a Lord of The Rings/fantasy type of "stylized fairy folk" and a stereotype of a person with dwarfism

The animated version leaned towards to former and not the latter

Maybe the decision came down to it simply being cheaper to do CGI than make-up?

where did you read that? edit: nevermind, found it

Yes, the movie has been filmed and was in post-production.

Wait, I thought the dwarves were insensitive? Is it only if you use live ones? We need some clarification.
They'll just use dwarf voice actors because, you know, a regular voice actor just wouldn't sound the same. It's like how you have to be black to voice a black character, Asian to voice an Asian, and so on.

The whole thing seems pretty easily avoidable.

The dwarfs in the original were only superficially comic. They were admirable characters underneath.

Have them be the same dwarfs in the new one, but with some 21st-century understanding about it. Snow White meets them and they briefly explain their backstory to her:

"Well, uhh, the townsfolk your size don't always treat us right. People like us, we have to stick up for each other. And it's easier to share a house and tools made for our size. The seven of us kinda fell in together over the years. We work hard but it's a good life here."

I understand how the idea of "the seven dwarves" looks thorny on paper. But I feel like 90 seconds of humanizing them would have gone a long way towards diffusing it. Modern Disney just isn't capable of handling anything that carefully anymore. Whatever they do is gonna be heavy-handed and clumsy.

In all fairness, there is a distinct visual difference between say a Lord of The Rings/fantasy type of "stylized fairy folk" and a stereotype of a person with dwarfism

The animated version leaned towards to former and not the latter

Maybe the decision came down to it simply being cheaper to do CGI than make-up?
I think make-up/latex would be cheaper and more life-like in the end.;)

I think “Bat-Girling” this movie and locking it away in the fabled Disney Vault would likely be the best solution to this problem…

IMG_1731.jpeg

…allowing the original cartoon to stand as the “definitive” version for Disney would be the smartest move to make.

But, then again, this is Modern Disney we are talking about…

Last edited:
I think make-up/latex would be cheaper and more life-like in the end.;)

Agreed. Not a fan of the CGI as is. At that point might as well just make an animated version

I think they would have done well had they gone for a similar style of Dwarves that are in the Hobbit

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back