Disney could sell Lucasfilm ?

Saw this, got a bit of a laugh from it.

IMG_6655.jpeg

The problem with the general zeitgeist is that people "interpret" History with their present sensibilities:rolleyes::mad:
To interpret History properly, you need to put yourself into the mind set that society had at the time which is called Living History!!
To say that all of those stories were (add any woke vocab here) is delusional at best and Utopic at the highest level(n)(n)

This reference to taking things “as they were in their time”, or “relativism” frightens and confuses me.

I can only understand things through my myopic 21st century lens which really is, as one can imagine, quite flawless and perfect. To consider things “as they were” takes too much out of me, mentally, and I find it exhausting. Making immediate assessments based upon my immediate field of vision and experience, without considering any other factors, is far easier and expedient.

Last edited:
I love how these actors have enough "conviction" to call out, in their view, problematic stories, yet they have no qualms whatsoever about making money off the very thing they decry. I guess when your livelihood is to appropriate the persona of a fictional character, it's no wonder that your perception of reality is likely to be just as skewed. Growing up it was Gen X that railed against selling out and yet here we are only a generation removed and that's all these kids want to do. If you look at the polling of young people who are obsessed with being influencers, rich, and famous, it's enough to make you vomit. Success is perfectly fine, but if you need to sell your soul to do it.....

Fairy Tales are a great vehicle for reinterpretation, but if you're going to throw away the critical elements that define it from every other story, you might as well make a new movie entirely and not bother calling it Snow White.
If you are shocked with the rise in influencers, dont look up Dubai porta potty. Not sure if its true but ******** if it it.

To be fair, it is a fact though that top influencers are making insane amounts of money and at an early age which means they can actually enjoy it. Influencers are legit celebrities (since that is what an influencer is supposed to do. Influence), and kids have always wanted to be famous and rich though.

But there is a huge difference between celebrity and hypocrisy which is what the Hollywood elite are engaging in. Being conscious about carbon emissions or caring about equality is fine but dont lecture us common folk while you fly around in your jets and emitting more carbon than a small city.

Same with this. Snow White being antithetical to feminism doesnt make sense to me but if you are so against it, either drop the project and let someone who is equally talented and wants the role do it or do it to the best of your ability but donate your paycheck to a women's shelter (and I mean all of it).

The problem is that Hollywood doesn't think adults have any brains. They think they need to tell everyone what to think. However most adults can watch a show or read a novel, from a specific period and we get that what might have been acceptable when the movie was made/book was written is not now. We get that. It's still a historical piece of art. We don't need censorship or a warning in a new copy, we're adults. I can decided what I want to watch or read.

That is what's being taught in U.S. schools up through college (from experience). Kids are being taught that their parents and grandparents are old and they don't think properly so the kids can change that. That's why you have people like the Snow White chick trying to act like the old Snow White was problematic.

If you are shocked with the rise in influencers, dont look up Dubai porta potty. Not sure if its true but ******** if it it.

To be fair, it is a fact though that top influencers are making insane amounts of money and at an early age which means they can actually enjoy it. Influencers are legit celebrities (since that is what an influencer is supposed to do. Influence), and kids have always wanted to be famous and rich though.

But there is a huge difference between celebrity and hypocrisy which is what the Hollywood elite are engaging in. Being conscious about carbon emissions or caring about equality is fine but dont lecture us common folk while you fly around in your jets and emitting more carbon than a small city.

Same with this. Snow White being antithetical to feminism doesnt make sense to me but if you are so against it, either drop the project and let someone who is equally talented and wants the role do it or do it to the best of your ability but donate your paycheck to a women's shelter (and I mean all of it).

I'm not shocked by the rise of influencers so much as irritated/ perplexed by it. I mean if people can make money that way, good for them, I guess, but I had some interactions with one of these people recently and let's just say it wasn't pretty. I'm not saying they're all like this, obviously, but I'd hazard a guess that a vast majority are. This guy got booted from our group for starting fights with people over not getting what he wanted for free. Entitled doesn't even begin to describe the level of arrogance on display. I don't care how many followers he's got or how handsome he might be. If you're rotten on the inside, it will eventually show through the cracks. This guy proved it with every new interaction and it only got worse as they went until he got kicked out for harassment/ threats.

Kids have always wanted to be rich and famous, but unlike a celebrity endorsement (a pro athlete hocking a sneaker brand for instance) most of these influencers are literally making brands out of themselves. That doesn't require any knowledge, skill, training, or talent. Consider too that their "brand" can change on a dime based on their emotional state. People are not brands. Imagine the type of ego it must take to think, people ought to give me money, for being, ME. It's as if the popular kids from a stereotypical 1980's teen drama found a way to make themselves rich off of being the part of the "in" crowd. If you're so easily duped into buying a product because one of the Kardasian's is promoting it and for no other reason, I hate to break it to you, but you're not too bright. I don't care if that makes me elitist. I just have a very low threshold for stupidity anymore.

People go into debt getting degrees in order to land a job in their chosen field and spend years learning how to hone their abilities to get to where they are, often taking on low level positions to earn their way to the top or grinding away tirelessly to build a skillset enough to become marketable. In other words you have to earn your position in the workforce/ career of your choosing. Not only does that build character, it's just one of the requirements of life. Are the rest of us just suckers for "working too hard" for what we want? Unless you're born into wealth or you're extremely lucky, chances are you're going to have to work for your place in the world. If you're an influencer, you just have to be popular and more often than not, physically attractive. You're either born with charisma and your looks are a roll of the genetic dice. If you're lucky, you might have both. Though in most cases, nothing else is required.

Say what you will about endorsements, but at least the pro athlete has a marketable talent/ skill in their chosen sport.

That is what's being taught in U.S. schools up through college (from experience). Kids are being taught that their parents and grandparents are old and they don't think properly so the kids can change that.
That's hardly a new thing though. Just look at Elvis, The Beatles, protests about Vietnam etc...
I'm not shocked by the rise of influencers so much as irritated/ perplexed by it. I mean if people can make money that way, good for them, I guess, but I had some interactions with one of these people recently and let's just say it wasn't pretty. I'm not saying they're all like this, obviously, but I'd hazard a guess that a vast majority are. This guy got booted from our group for starting fights with people over not getting what he wanted for free. Entitled doesn't even begin to describe the level of arrogance on display. I don't care how many followers he's got or how handsome he might be. If you're rotten on the inside, it will eventually show through the cracks. This guy proved it with every new interaction and it only got worse as they went until he got kicked out for harassment/ threats.

Kids have always wanted to be rich and famous, but unlike a celebrity endorsement (a pro athlete hocking a sneaker brand for instance) most of these influencers are literally making brands out of themselves. That doesn't require any knowledge, skill, training, or talent. Consider too that their "brand" can change on a dime based on their emotional state. People are not brands. Imagine the type of ego it must take to think, people ought to give me money, for being, ME. It's as if the popular kids from a stereotypical 1980's teen drama found a way to make themselves rich off of being the part of the "in" crowd. If you're so easily duped into buying a product because one of the Kardasian's is promoting it and for no other reason, I hate to break it to you, but you're not too bright. I don't care if that makes me elitist. I just have a very low threshold for stupidity anymore.

People go into debt getting degrees in order to land a job in their chosen field and spend years learning how to hone their abilities to get to where they are, often taking on low level positions to earn their way to the top or grinding away tirelessly to build a skillset enough to become marketable. In other words you have to earn your position in the workforce/ career of your choosing. Not only does that build character, it's just one of the requirements of life. Are the rest of us just suckers for "working too hard" for what we want? Unless you're born into wealth or you're extremely lucky, chances are you're going to have to work for your place in the world. If you're an influencer, you just have to be popular and more often than not, physically attractive. You're either born with charisma and your looks are a roll of the genetic dice. If you're lucky, you might have both. Though in most cases, nothing else is required.

Say what you will about endorsements, but at least the pro athlete has a marketable talent/ skill in their chosen sport.
Again though, this isn't really a new thing. We called them different things and the class of people was different, but for centuries (if not millenia) there have been those who are "famous" by marketing themselves in society.

I admit the difference is the internet yet again. The fact that it makes it possible for more people to do it, makes it a more visible thing these days.

It's a fair point about people buying stuff because someone endorses it, but i'd counter it slightly by pointing out that this entire site is based on people making, selling/sharing things we don't need in the slightest.

For every 'influencer' who manages to get rich for little or no valid reason, there are thousands of other people born into wealth who justify their position even less (and many of them act just as entitled).

Again though, this isn't really a new thing. We called them different things and the class of people was different, but for centuries (if not millenia) there have been those who are "famous" by marketing themselves in society.

I admit the difference is the internet yet again. The fact that it makes it possible for more people to do it, makes it a more visible thing these days.

It's a fair point about people buying stuff because someone endorses it, but i'd counter it slightly by pointing out that this entire site is based on people making, selling/sharing things we don't need in the slightest.

The concept isn't new but it does seem to be more prevalent and more obnoxious in many ways. The internet certainly has lowered the threshold for more people than in decades past, so I agree with you there.

As far as your point about this site, I'm not sure I follow.

Prop collecting isn't a necessity like food, clothing, or shelter, but no one here (that I'm aware of) collects/ buys anything because a certain member endorses it. Collecting props is based on our emotional attachment to specific stories/ characters, not based at all on the personality of the person who made it. Reputation is important in this community because we need to know who is trustworthy to do business with, but we're also paying for skilled labor, not buying some corporately sponsored item because Adam Savage/ Art Andrews (insert prominent member name here) told us we need to own it and we all clap like good little seals clamoring for more fish.

I think the real tell is that despite this site being sponsored by The Prop Store of London, there are only a select few here who collect screen used props and even if most could afford to buy from there, the vast majority would still make their own items because we love the creative challenge of the build process. It's about testing our abilities. The prominence of industry professionals in our ranks also bucks against the idea that we go after certain props just for the tenuous connection to Hollywood. I don't know anyone who collects for that reason.

The problem is that Hollywood doesn't think adults have any brains. They think they need to tell everyone what to think. However most adults can watch a show or read a novel, from a specific period and we get that what might have been acceptable when the movie was made/book was written is not now. We get that. It's still a historical piece of art. We don't need censorship or a warning in a new copy, we're adults. I can decided what I want to watch or read.
Given the fact that prominent books are being censored or put on do not read lists because of their content, Im not sure if all adults have brains anymore.

From DailyMail:

The son of the original Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs director has blasted Disney's 'pathetic' live-action 'radical' remake of the movie, accusing the company of having no respect for classics.

David Hand, 91, whose father of the same name directed the original 1937 animation, rebuked Walt Disney Studios for pursuing an 'insulting' and 'woke' remake of the movie that sought to 'destroy' its predecessor.

He said the new adaptation would have both his father and Walt Disney himself 'turning in their graves' as he slammed the upcoming movie starring Rachel Zegler as the titular character

The concept isn't new but it does seem to be more prevalent and more obnoxious in many ways. The internet certainly has lowered the threshold for more people than in decades past, so I agree with you there.
I’m not sure it’s more obnoxious as such, more that as we’re more connected to the ways it is shown, it is harder to not see it.
As far as your point about this site, I'm not sure I follow.
I must admit I did not explain it very well.
Prop collecting isn't a necessity like food, clothing, or shelter, but no one here (that I'm aware of) collects/ buys anything because a certain member endorses it. Collecting props is based on our emotional attachment to specific stories/ characters, not based at all on the personality of the person who made it. Reputation is important in this community because we need to know who is trustworthy to do business with, but we're also paying for skilled labor, not buying some corporately sponsored item because Adam Savage/ Art Andrews (insert prominent member name here) told us we need to own it and we all clap like good little seals clamoring for more fish.

I think the real tell is that despite this site being sponsored by The Prop Store of London, there are only a select few here who collect screen used props and even if most could afford to buy from there, the vast majority would still make their own items because we love the creative challenge of the build process. It's about testing our abilities. The prominence of industry professionals in our ranks also bucks against the idea that we go after certain props just for the tenuous connection to Hollywood. I don't know anyone who collects for that reason.
This is sort of the point I was making. I’ll try to explain my point better. I wasn’t specifically criticising the site or anyone one for their collecting etc.

What I mean is this site exists because it offer things we want, desire, feel the need to own (whether we create it personally or buy it from members), but actually we don’t need in the slightest. It may not be in the same extreme as say an “influencer”, but we are all subject to the same psychological aspects that advertising in any respect, be it word of mouth, actively pushing a product etc, that has always had on humans.

This place advertises itself as offering something for people like ourselves.

As I said it isn’t a criticism. The skills, abilities, knowledge and general friendliness of many, many people here is admirable and honestly makes me jealous of how clever and skillful you guys are.

Hope that isn’t too rambling and makes more sense.

That's hardly a new thing though. Just look at Elvis, The Beatles, protests about Vietnam etc...

Yes, always the same old idea of "Need" vs "Want";)
My father said it to me at an early age: "What you need, I'll pay for it"..."What you want, you'll pay for it";)

1692627578718.png

View attachment 1729800

This. Why is it SO DIFFICULT to understand this simple concept? !
Because many people tend to take as a given that if they had been living during a different era, they would still have all the same values and convictions they have today. They think they believe these things as a result of their own inherent goodness and right-thinking, and not because they have absorbed the values of the culture in which they live. I think this is especially true of the young, who reach early adulthood with a high tendency to view themselves as the culmination of human civilization -- the point toward which all the generations that preceded them were building.

There will come a point, for most, where something will transpire that will make them, as with all the previous generations, snap their heads up and say, "Hey, wait — I didn't sign up for this nonsense!" And they, too, will be astonished when they are mostly ignored — if they are fortunate.

SSB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back