Interest DaveP’s Luke RotJ V2 / Obi Wan ANH Motorised Stunt Prop-Replica Run (Sign Up Closed)

Hello there!

As some of you might know, I’ve been working on a V2/Motorised Stunt for quite some time now (since before my last Yuma run in fact), and the time has finally come to post the interest thread! I can’t tell you how excited I am about this one!

View attachment 1485476

View attachment 1485572

The parts are pretty much finished, but could still be subject to minor changes prior to the run going ahead. I won’t go in to too much detail regarding any of my decision making here on this thread, but I highly recommend that you take a look at the Research and Development Thread if you’re interested. In there, I give a detailed explanation of the prop’s history as I understand it, and explain my thoughts with regards to how it might have been constructed. I’ll continue to post any updates or changes there leading up to the run going ahead.

View attachment 1485473

View attachment 1488322View attachment 1488323
View attachment 1488324View attachment 1488325
View attachment 1488360

This is a replica of the original prop and, as such, has not been designed with FX instillation in mind. It is not a “static” prop however. It has been designed to accommodate a motor and spinning blade mechanism, with the internal structure and construction matching the original prop as closely as can be interpreted from the available references and information.

View attachment 1485474

Because there are so many parts to this kit, some of which people may already have, and people’s needs are likely to be very different depending on the configuration they want, I'll be offering a base DIY kit along with a list of additional extras that can be added. This is to simplify things when it comes to ordering and avoid the need to subtract parts that people already have.

The base DIY Kit will include the body section, pommel, emitter/nipple, and the central rod/bearings/fixings:

View attachment 1485496
**This is not the latest design for the internals. A new cutaway to explain the latest design is coming soon!**

An order can then be built up from here based on the additional parts that you need.

All the parts will be available to make either the ANH motorised stunt prop (as used by Sir Alec Guinness), or the “belt Hanger” (as used by Mark Hamill) during the filming of ROTJ. There will be two options for both Pommel and Emitter to allow for the differences between the two.

The standard (as machined) parts can be used for creating the motorised stunt, while the modified Emitter/Pommel can be used to create an accurate ROTJ V2:

View attachment 1485494View attachment 1485495

For those who wish to apply the damage to the pommel themselves, a vinyl stencil/guide will be supplied with the standard pommel.

A full paint stencil kit will also be available for those who wish to accurately paint the RotJ version of the prop. There are other fantastic V2 stencils available that could potentially work with the kit if you prefer. I’ll be revealing my own version (which is in progress) in the coming weeks.

I’ll also be offering a switch/motor/battery kit as well as a blade for those who would like to create the ANH version of the prop. I’ll give more details of this on my R&D thread soon! The parts for this have all been sourced and costed. (y)

slothfurnace has very kindly offered a discount on his “Vintage Finish” boards as part of this run! Thanks, Brad!

I'm VERY happy to say that the clamp will be a Roman Props Satin Clamp. Roman has offered to supply this at a discounted price as part of the run too! Thanks so much Romans Empire! Very much appreciated!

roygilsing at WannaWanga also approached me about using his excellent V2 lever, so that is included in the list of extras along with some other great WannaWanga parts. Thanks, Roy!

I currently have two boots worth of Grade A vintage "mystery chunks" (Royal Hunter Wellington Boot Stud). Once these are gone, Roys replica chunk will be used, which is a PERFECT replica. I am always on the look out for more vintage studs, but it's rare to come across them in this condition:

View attachment 1485528

There is also a replica knurled cone knob from a Reference Hydraulic Transcription Turntable on the list that has been painstakingly recreated from a real vintage thumbscrew. This was done with the help of mgenovese312, who was kind enough to send scaled reference photos. Thanks, Mike!

View attachment 1485549View attachment 1485553View attachment 1485554

The following prices are currently a guide and are based on the current quotes/prices. They may be subject to change prior to the run going ahead. I’ll do everything within my power to keep them as close to this as possible (or lower).

I’ve tried to keep the prices as low as humanly possible, but the full kit bundles and commissions involve a lot of additional parts (and work). Where third party parts have been listed, the prices are based on the current cost price to me (with no additional profit added). **I can only offer third party additional extras as part of the run and in addition to the base kit**

I'll be offering commissions on these in batches of ten for those who are interested (with a turnaround of roughly four weeks). There is a LOT of work involved in the commissions for these (particularly the ROTJ version) So I wouldn't want to work on any more than this in one go. Whilst I can guarantee that I will do my upmost to maintain the highest possible standards, I can't promise a speedy turnaround. For that reason, I will be limiting the commissions to ten of each per month and taking time off from all other freelance work until they're complete.

I highly recommend both Halliwax and Obiflex (Adam Wells) for painting and weathering on these though. Their V2 work speaks for itself.

Prices:

Base DIY Kit - CNC’d Parts only (as machined) - £180

• Body section
  • Emitter (as machined)
  • Pommel (includes adhesive damage stencil/guide)
  • Nipple
  • Central Rod/bearings/screws/Etc
Extras:
  • Additional Emitter (Straight) - £25
  • Additional Pommel (as machined) - £40
  • Replica Michell Cone Knob - £20
  • Roman's Satin Graflex Clamp - £27
  • WannaWanga V2 Lever - £35
  • Sloth Furnace V2 Clamp Card (Vintage Finish) - £12.30
  • WannaWanga Bubble Strip - £12
  • WannaWanga D Ring - £6.30
  • Vintage “Mystery Chunk” (Royal Hunter Wellington Boot Stud) - £20
  • WannaWanga Replica Boot Stud - £7
  • ROTJ Vinyl Paint Stencil kit (Including Gaffers Tape) - £15
  • ANH Motorised Stunt Blade - £20
  • ANH Motor/Switch/Battery Pack (Non-Vintage) - £25
Commisions:

• Emitter Bending Commission - £10
  • Pommel Damage Commission - £10
  • Full ANH Paint Commission (Limited to X10 places) - £100
  • Full ROTJ Paint/Damage Commission (Limited to X10 places) - £200*
*Includes emitter bending, pommel damage and stencils.

Bundle Examples:

Full ROTJ Kit Bundle with Emitter/Pommel damage (Vintage Stud) - £335.60

• CNC’d Parts
  • Emitter Bending
  • Pommel Damage
  • Replica Michell Cone Knob
  • Roman's Satin Graflex Clamp
  • Wannawanga V2 Lever
  • Sloth Furnace V2 Clamp Card (Vintage)
  • Wannawanga D Ring
  • Vintage “Mystery Chunk” (Royal Hunter Wellington Boot Stud)
  • ROTJ Vinyl Stencil kit
Complete ROTJ V2 (Including Commission) - £500.60
  • CNC’d Parts
  • Emitter Bending
  • Pommel Damage
  • Full paint/weathering commission
  • Replica Michell Cone Knob
  • Wannawanga V2 Lever
  • Sloth Furnace V2 Clamp Card (Vintage)
  • Wannawanga D Ring
  • Vintage “Mystery Chunk” (Royal Hunter Wellington Boot Stud)
Full ANH Motorised Stunt Kit Bundle with Blade/Motor - £305.30
  • CNC’d Parts (as machined)
  • Wannawanga V2 Lever
  • Wannawanga Bubble Strip
  • Wannawanga D Ring
  • ANH Motorised Stunt Blade
  • ANH Motor/Switch/Battery Pack (Non-Vintage)
Complete ANH Motorised Stunt (Including Commission) - £405.30
  • CNC’d Parts (as machined)
  • Full paint/weathering commission
  • Wannawanga V2 Lever
  • Wannawanga Bubble Strip
  • Wannawanga D Ring
  • ANH Motorised Stunt Blade
  • ANH Motor/Switch/Battery Pack (Non-Vintage)
Postage:

Postage will be calculated closer to the time (but before the run goes ahead) and will include any potential fees depending on your location.

Ordering:

There is no obligation at this stage
. This is purely an interest thread, so please do let me know if this is something that you would be interested in and I'll add you to the list. I’m hoping to have the numbers, and be able to push the button on this around the beginning of October. If you do happen to change your mind, it would be much appreciated if you could let me know. Thank you.

I will be accepting split payments on this run, like on my previous run.

Up-front payment for the CNC’d or third party parts will be needed before the run can go ahead, but payment for commissions and postage can be deferred until your order is ready to send out.

My quotes are based on a 15-20 working day lead time and a quantity of at least 50, so Ideally, I’d like to get as close to that number as possible to guarantee the prices I’ve been quoted.

Thanks so much for looking! I can't wait to get the ball rolling on this one! Be sure to keep an eye on the R&D Thread for updates or any improvements to the models. I'll keep this thread dedicated to keeping track of the interest list and dealing with the actual project run.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to drop me a DM and I'll get back to you ASAP.

MTFBWY-A,

Dave

View attachment 1485564

Interest List:
  • - DannyP91
  • - Loneken
  • - nailuj
  • - Boba Flint
  • - The 48th Ronin
  • - Scruffylooking
  • - livetoberadical
  • - Patlegrand
  • - Foe Hammer
  • - teecrooz
  • - Rachen
  • - CJPx01
  • - Halliwax
  • - NickCline
  • - Srycantthnkof1
  • - PrinceZip
  • - ONE PIECE
  • - JoeG
  • - Brodie53
  • - Mr Mold Maker
  • - juvatwad
  • - LukeV2
  • - mrwax
  • - Eruonen
  • - memphisjedi
  • - cdyoung
  • - Darth Napster
  • - CWOODREPLICAS
  • - NagorbArt
  • - enrico
  • - Morgan (FB)
  • - Hylo133
  • - AnthonyD2199
  • - Marv
  • - rockbottom
  • - Marco (FB)
  • - mburkit
  • - Diego86
  • - RebelSpy007
  • - TheUnchosenOne
  • - JediJohn182
  • - jayzen
  • - darksith
  • - ivuchan
  • - LukeBespin1975
  • - naurthsgem
  • - LewisD
  • - ggriffaw
  • - Mech10
  • - JoeSheep
  • - master jinn
  • - Brett Banner
  • - ggriffaw
  • - mgenovese312
  • - jorged123
  • - Gino (FB)
  • - nemesis1974
  • - Dewy
  • - Filandrius
  • - Martin Sabers
  • - Triin
  • - Skoota73
  • - Sithslayer
  • - dse2187
  • - Obiflex
  • - cphaeng
  • - Kraig Kenobi
  • - Noble Rich (FB)
  • - Natesamlord
  • - Lord Slevin
  • - Duncan Schaefer (FB)
  • - Kumar (FB)
  • - Execute66
  • - Masefield
  • - propfactory
  • - Mark Conway (FB)
  • - maxspr1
  • - darthwhitey
  • - JetSetWilly
  • - zachman8910
  • - James Kemp (FB)
  • - BeggarsCanyon
  • - APOLLO IND
  • - djedi
  • - acyang
  • - el toro
  • - Skywalker94
  • - Jallott
  • - Goodie2325
  • - CrankyScorpion
  • - jonis
  • - starbuc
  • - v3122
  • - CrueGuyRob
  • - Darth Elevator
  • - BritWalker
  • - kyrack
  • - Skyalker49
interested

interested
Hi,
Please put me down for the following:
Base DIY kit
1- Replica Michell Cone Knob
And
  • Sloth Furnace V2 Clamp Card (Vintage Finish) - £12.30
That's great. Thank you! I've updated the list and my notes. All the best! (y)

Update is imminent! (Finally).....

I spent yesterday evening in a car park waiting for a locksmith, after loosing my car key (inside my car!). Which was fun. So sorry for the delay, yet again! I'll be posting it in the next hour though! Definitely! :D

That's great. Thank you! I've updated the list and my notes. All the best! (y)

Update is imminent! (Finally).....

I spent yesterday evening in a car park waiting for a locksmith, after loosing my car key (inside my car!). Which was fun. So sorry for the delay, yet again! I'll be posting it in the next hour though! Definitely! :D
It must be the Emperor playing tricks!

Probably giggling behind the scenes after the Force pushed the keys under the rugs

**Update**

Hi everyone. I'm so sorry for the delay in posting this! I was so excited to share this final post, and get moving with the run, that I didn’t quite appreciate just how much there was still left to do before putting a time on it. Thanks for your patience everyone! what follows will be the final (almost*) update for the run before taking payments and ordering parts! o_O

The response to this run has been phenomenal! A huge THANK YOU to everyone who has expressed an interest and to all those who have contributed to the development process!

There have been quite a few developments this week, which I’ll discuss here as they’re related specifically to the run. As usual, any design changes or discoveries will be discussed in a a separate post on the Research and Development Thread (coming soon!).

*This was supposed to be the final update, but I’ve been waiting on a couple of things such as the jig for the emitter damage, so I’m not able to present a full example of the ROTJ commission just yet unfortunately. The jig has arrived!!, so I’ll be able to show an example of a finished ROTJ paint/weathering commission VERY soon, and certainly prior to taking any payments.

Models:

The models are finished! There have been a few very minor alterations which I won’t go in to too much here. Things specific to the design and development of the models will be discussed in more detail on the Research and Development Thread.

Briefly, I've done a full round of accuracy checks, focussing on getting the pommel cubes cross referenced between these two images:

POMMEL VIEW 1.png
POMMEL VIEW 2.png

The pommel, although it may not look it, is very irregular, and each cube is unique.

This time around, I’ve remodelled all my meshes using NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines), which are more geared towards manufacturing than polygonal modelling (used more in games development). This is something I’ve been meaning to get to grips with for some time now and should also help to speed up the manufacturing process. It’s been a bit of a learning curve (mind the pun).

CAD.jpg

Motor Kit:

I have tested the motor kit this week in my (very nearly finished) Starkiller hilt and it works great! It needed to be shimmed (I wrapped with insulation tape until it was a snug fit) but other than that it worked exactly as I expect it to on mine. There was a lot of vibration, but this was related to the blade, which I’ll discuss shortly, and is nothing to worry about (as you'll see).

The actual motor kit WILL now include Anderson Powerpole Connectors as well as spade connectors for those who would like to use them for connecting the wires to the switch and motor without the need for soldering. I recommend soldering as well as crimping.

I was hoping to have a new image ready to post, but I’m still waiting on the Anderson connectors, so here’s a mock-up of what to expect:

***Motor Kit Mock-Up***

Blade:

As part of my test for the motor, I also made a mock up of blade this week, and it worked great (ish). Again, I’d like to go into more detail regarding the size and shape of the blade on the research and development thread, as I did some research in to the length and taper.

The biggest news with regards to the blade is that I have managed to find a VERY talented wood turner who will now be making these. I was fairly happy with my effort, but I don’t have the equipment to get them as accurate as I’d like. Having a professional turn these on a lathe will ensure that the hole is dead-centre (to avoid the annoying wobble that can be seen in the above video). Importantly, It will also free me up to work on getting everything else prepared to hit the ground running once the parts arrive! The vast majority of wood turners I approached flat out refused, or were very reluctant to work on something so slender. The one who has agreed to do them appears to enjoy a challenge though, and has worked on some mind bogglingly delicate work in the past. He really is a very talented craftsman, so I couldn’t be happier that he’s agreed to do it!

Here’s the mock up that I made of the blade showing the reflective material in action.

BLADE TEST.jpg

Getting an image (and certainly a video) that does this justice is quite difficult on my phone, as the automatic exposure control compensates for the brightness before you can manage to capture the effect. I recently sold my DSLR because the camera on my phone was so good (or so I thought). I will try to get my hands on one soon and set up a proper demonstration.

Shipping:

Due to the nature of this run, and everyone's orders being ever so slightly different, figuring out postage and transaction fees has been a bit like cracking the enigma codes!

From the beginning of next week and leading up to the end of the month, I'll be contacting people on an individual basis, to confirm their orders and to give a detailed breakdown of their final price and how it will be broken down in to two separate instalments.

First instalment for everyone will be for the cost of the parts only.

The second instalment will be for any remaining Shipping/Fees/Commission, and won't be taken until your order is packaged up and ready to send. (This includes any pommel/emitter damage commission, which is why the ROTJ kit prices may look a little different)

In the meantime, I've put together three separate charts to give people an idea of expected shipping costs based on the example kits and location. If your order differs at all from the example kits/commissions, I’ll work out a tailored payment plan specific to your order.

UK

ORDERINSTALLMENT 1 (PARTS ONLY)INSTALLMENT 2 (SHIPPING/FEES/COMMISSION)
BASE KIT
£180£20.19
ANH KIT£305.30£23.92
ROTJ KIT£315.60£44.83
BOTH KITS£620.90£53.95
ANH COMMISSION£305.30£126.92
ROTJ COMMISSION£300.60£229.76
BOTH COMMISSIONS£605.90£341.87

EU

BASE KIT
£180£25.47
ANH KIT£305.30£29.88
ROTJ KIT£315.60£50.94
BOTH KITS£620.90£61.69
ANH COMMISSION£305.30£133.40
ROTJ COMMISSION£300.60£236.75
BOTH COMMISSIONS£605.90£351.01

INTERNATIONAL

BASE KIT
£180£37.58
ANH KIT£305.30£44.03
ROTJ KIT£315.60£65.59
BOTH KITS£620.90£81.32
ANH COMMISSION£305.30£149.19
ROTJ COMMISSION£300.60£254.10
BOTH COMMISSIONS£605.90£374.98

In keeping with community guidelines, PayPal fees have been included in the price (as part of instalment two). I'll be giving everyone a detailed breakdown of these privately of course.

I've spent a LOT of time looking for the most suitable shipping company this time around and I'm very happy with the service that I've finally chosen. Previously, I've always taken packages to the post office in person, but this is incredibly time consuming on runs like this. It occurred to me on my last run that that time could be used far more productively. Also, the length of the blade for the ANH kit is over the maximum parcel length for Royal Mail.

So, I’ve gone with a service that will collect from my home, freeing me up to work on commissions and allowing me to send more out in one go, rather than being limited by how many I can carry!

UPSs service is perfect for this run for a number of reasons. Both the ROTJ and the longer ANH packages are classed as the same parcel size, and the difference in weight has no effect on the price either (up to 70KG!). Two kits can be sent in the longer ANH box for the same price as one too, which just makes things so much simpler for everyone! The price of shipping is basically the same, regardless of the size of your order, or it’s value.

I also found that the additional insurance for UPS was very competitive (and simple) too and covers orders up to a value of £1000. So all above shipping costs include this. Importantly, UPS appear to cover artwork/collectables, whereas over companies have them listed as exempt from compensation.

Timetable/lead times:

The timetable that I’d previously set out hasn’t really changed. I’m planning on getting all the parts ordered at the beginning of October.

The lead time on the CNC'd parts is 15-20 working days (so four weeks/one month). During that time I’ll be making up boxes for the DIY kits and printing labels. I’ll also spend this time cutting stencils and putting any third party items in to people’s boxes as they arrive. I’ll also be making up the blades and applying the reflective material as soon as I get those in hand.

As soon as the CNC'd parts come in (which should be around the beginning of November), I’ll be sending out any kits with undamaged pommels/emitters. I’ll then spend the first few days of November applying damage to emitters and pommels for all the remaining DIY kits. Once they’re sent, I will be working on commissions in batches of 10XRotJ and 10XANH/month until they’re complete.

I hope to have batches one and two completed and posted before Christmas. I’ll then be starting on batch three in the new year. I’ll be letting people know which batch they can expect to be in when confirming their orders. (y)

I think that’s all for now (relating to the run at least). Please keep an eye out for an update of the Research and Development Thread which should be landing soon. It will go over some final changes to the models as well as some research in to the blades that you might find interesting. :)

Thanks again for your patience everyone! It really is very much appreciated! Looking forward to contacting everyone individually very soon and getting things in motion!

All the very best and MTFBWY-A

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you for these updates!

I've been doing some catch up reading about the stunt blades. They started out using wood but changed to using an antenna.
You say these are coming with a wood blade. Could the wood blade be replace with the antenna if one wanted to?

Let's be honest. We're big kids and we are going to want to wing these thing around and even want to whack something.

Thank you for these updates!

I've been doing some catch up reading about the stunt blades. They started out using wood but changed to using an antenna.
You say these are coming with a wood blade. Could the wood blade be replace with the antenna if one wanted to?

Let's be honest. We're big kids and we are going to want to wing these thing around and even want to whack something.
Hi Flint.

I don't see why not. So long as it can be fixed to the 8mm central rod, you could replace the blade with a suitable marine antenna. It wouldn't have been feasible to offer one with the kit unfortunately as the prices vary quite a lot.

I've seen the occasional second hand one show up at a reasonable price, but not consistently enough to offer here.

I like the idea of using the wooden ones myself, with it being their first attempt. I'll certainly be getting myself an antenna too though to satisfy my curiosity! :)

Hi Flint.

I don't see why not. So long as it can be fixed to the 8mm central rod, you could replace the blade with a suitable marine antenna. It wouldn't have been feasible to offer one with the kit unfortunately as the prices vary quite a lot.

I've seen the occasional second hand one show up at a reasonable price, but not consistently enough to offer here.

I like the idea of using the wooden ones myself, with it being their first attempt. I'll certainly be getting myself an antenna too though to satisfy my curiosity! :)
I absolutely agree about having a wood blade. I didn't mean to suggest you should supply the antenna. That would be up to the individual that wanted one. I just didn't know if using an antenna would require any special adapters or something like that.

I absolutely agree about having a wood blade. I didn't mean to suggest you should supply the antenna. That would be up to the individual that wanted one. I just didn't know if using an antenna would require any special adapters or something like that.
No worries Flint. I didn't think you meant that. :) I'd love it if I could though. Without having access to one, it's hard to say for sure. It had to have been possible to fix one to the tang somehow though. I'm going to get myself one to investigate. My hope is that the bore diameter is close to, or the same as, the internal rod. It would need to fit on to the existing rod in order for the mechanism to work (rather than having its own tang). The one seen in the ESB fencing practice video appears to have the black line, which would suggest that it was used with the mechanism at some point. That's why I assume the existing rod would need to have been used.

That's my thinking on it anyway (y)

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated. I've updated the list and my notes (y)

**Big update coming later today (probably this evening)** :)
Hello there! I'd love to upgrade my "interest" to include the full ANH commissioning if possible. Thanks!

*Update*

Hi Everyone. Just a quick update to say that I have started contacting everyone on the list to confirm orders. Don't worry if you're near the top of the list and haven't been contacted yet. I've grouped orders by type, so I'm not necessarily working through the list in list order.

I'm still in the process of sending out initial messages (to confirm that I have the correct info). As soon as I've done this, I'll start to send out invoices for the initial payments. (y)

It's bed time here in the UK though (for me at least) so I'm going to have to call it a night. :sleep:

So apologies if I don't reply to messages straight away. I'll pick things back up in the morning.

Thanks for your patience whilst I get through this stage of getting the run up and running everyone!

All the best, and MTFBWY!

Dave

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back