Darth Vader square shroud dedicated stunt saber + Barbican

Awesome progress, eethan!
thank you!
I'm so excited, I love that saber so much!
I hope you guys will like it :)
IMG_20220729_181229.jpg

Hello guys,
it's been a bit of a while! I have been struggling with sourcing the screws and D ring all this time and I just received the last D ring, which is finally correct :)

so, here are the 3 types of D rings I ordered, they were all very close to what I got from my 3D model in the descriptions, but you can see how different they were when I received them. Every time, paying shipping costs + 35 of them, those are small expenses but they add up quickly.
IMG_20220817_132402.jpg

so, I'm finally happy with the last D ring and don't think I'll be able to find better, so this is what I'll be using. here is a small comp with the original, it is only very very slightly wider, but the shape and size is extremely close :) :)
IMG_20220802_1154532.jpg

IMG_20220817_132626.jpg

I am working on other projects that have priority so far, but now that this is unlocked, I'll try to finish the prototypes as soon as possible.
cheers

Hello guys,
it's been a bit of a while! I have been struggling with sourcing the screws and D ring all this time and I just received the last D ring, which is finally correct :)

so, here are the 3 types of D rings I ordered, they were all very close to what I got from my 3D model in the descriptions, but you can see how different they were when I received them. Every time, paying shipping costs + 35 of them, those are small expenses but they add up quickly.
View attachment 1609194

so, I'm finally happy with the last D ring and don't think I'll be able to find better, so this is what I'll be using. here is a small comp with the original, it is only very very slightly wider, but the shape and size is extremely close :) :)
View attachment 1609195
View attachment 1609196

I am working on other projects that have priority so far, but now that this is unlocked, I'll try to finish the prototypes as soon as possible.
cheers
You can’t get anymore accurate than that d-ring, eethan. Well done!

eethan , are you going to do both shroud greeblie options? The one seen on the resin stunt must have been on there at some point and is more likely to be the esb/rotj production version since it still had bubbles and everything.

B1D3BB14-348A-402A-A5D0-1DA573C22FF0.jpeg

eethan , are you going to do both shroud greeblie options? The one seen on the resin stunt must have been on there at some point and is more likely to be the esb/rotj production version since it still had bubbles and everything.

View attachment 1610834
hey,
so far, I'm working on the initial square shroud, and the Barbican as is now, the cast version has been a possibility all along, I just don't know if people are interested in it since this one was a cast and not an aluminium version. this will be decided with the interest thread. If enough people want it, i'll do the 3 versions. (this will be an "idealized" version though since it will be in aluminium and would get a double black/aluminium core, to simulate the paint they did here.)
cheers

Wicked impressive updates, I’ve seen those photos before and never noticed that weird greeblie until teecrooz mentioned it..

hey guys,
just thought while discussing Tom's and RedButton's saber in the other thread that I showed the D ring research but never really showed the D ring holder piece, with an actual rounded out bottom for a perfect fit, just like on the real prop. So surprising that they went the extra mile on this, things are normally not that clean in Star Wars!
IMG_20220731_123905.jpg

IMG_20220731_123843.jpg

I'm also taking advantage of this post to discuss a bit the lack of updates lately. I'm sorry about that, I'm really busy with work on the several runs I'm already working on and realized lately that I was taking too much work at the same time, so, I'm trying real hard to finish the current runs before jumping back more seriously on this.
All in all, I still expect this to be finished prototyped worst case scenario early october, interest thread launched right when it's ready and the run itself to be finished by the end of the year I hope. Just wanted to keep everyone posted and reassure that i'm not giving up on that, just trying to give priority a bit to the current runs as with all the work still to be done on those, there is still time before starting on a new project.

cheers

Looking forward to this since I sold my old one. Are you going to accurately replicate the uneven grips/screws positions or are you going to idealize them?

hey guys,
just thought while discussing Tom's and RedButton's saber in the other thread that I showed the D ring research but never really showed the D ring holder piece, with an actual rounded out bottom for a perfect fit, just like on the real prop. So surprising that they went the extra mile on this, things are normally not that clean in Star Wars!
View attachment 1614174
View attachment 1614173

I'm also taking advantage of this post to discuss a bit the lack of updates lately. I'm sorry about that, I'm really busy with work on the several runs I'm already working on and realized lately that I was taking too much work at the same time, so, I'm trying real hard to finish the current runs before jumping back more seriously on this.
All in all, I still expect this to be finished prototyped worst case scenario early october, interest thread launched right when it's ready and the run itself to be finished by the end of the year I hope. Just wanted to keep everyone posted and reassure that i'm not giving up on that, just trying to give priority a bit to the current runs as with all the work still to be done on those, there is still time before starting on a new project.

cheers
The machine work is breath taking

Looking forward to this since I sold my old one. Are you going to accurately replicate the uneven grips/screws positions or are you going to idealize them?
Thank you for your nice comment Marcus, the kits will be sold without grips because without going into details, i wasn't allowed to re-sell grips in un-finished kits, sorry about that.
The grip placement is extremely wonky on that lightsaber though, i have tried to match their placement exactly in my 3D model and although i'm very confident about 4 grips, the 3 others are basically never visible in the refs available.
Cheers

such smooth work, very very impressive. Hell, I just learned how to control the "feed rate" on a hand drill and drill press... couldn't imagine it on a lathe or mill, well done.

Also, good eye on the curved bottom of the D ring. You're an asset to the community with eyes like that

such smooth work, very very impressive. Hell, I just learned how to control the "feed rate" on a hand drill and drill press... couldn't imagine it on a lathe or mill, well done.

Also, good eye on the curved bottom of the D ring. You're an asset to the community with eyes like that
Thank you so much Tom for your kind words, you can't imagine how much that means to me, really!

Hi eethan ,

I found this thread because I was looking for references of the Obi ANH D rings and then I saw your comparison photo and the one on the original hilt looks very close to this one I found on Etsy. I played quickly with it in the PS a bit and I think it is really close. I am just not sure if it is the right size. Anyway I thought you might be interested! HERE IT IS

Hi eethan ,

I found this thread because I was looking for references of the Obi ANH D rings and then I saw your comparison photo and the one on the original hilt looks very close to this one I found on Etsy. I played quickly with it in the PS a bit and I think it is really close. I am just not sure if it is the right size. Anyway I thought you might be interested! HERE IT IS
hey,
thank you, those look nice indeed but from the dimension listed, they are too big for the Barbican.
I'm pretty happy with the ones I found already and paid quite a bit for the D rings, since I had to order 3 times already, so they will do nicelly I think :)

by the way, since this thread was bumped, sorry for the lack of updates lately!
I am finishing my fifth element ZF-1 kits around the end of the month (February), then will finish the few things I need to finish for the prototypes for this and open the interest thread right after. So, it hasn't been forgotten, no worries!
cheers

Hello there,

alright, so I'm back on this now :) I will be finishing the prototype in the coming days to open the interest thread :)

two of the last parts, which are a bit difficult because of poor references are the two plugs at the back of the tube. here is my 3D model for this, feel free to tell me what you think!
barbican_back_01.jpg

barbican_back_02.jpg

barbican_back_03.jpg

barbican_back_04.jpg

those will be 3 parts as they are not present on all variations of the saber. they will probably assemble with glue if we want to be screen accurate. i'm also keen on feedback for this of course!
barbican_back_05.jpg

cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back