DialMforMaldo

So this is the beginning of my Crossbones cosplay. For those unfamiliar with the character he is from the Captain America comic series. You saw him out of costume in "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and you will probably see him in costume in "Captain America 3: Civil War".
For my costume I decided to change one aspect of the character. Traditionally Crossbones wears a skin tight mask. I felt that didn't suit the character so for my costume I am changing the mask into a helmet; where the skull face is actually a visor.
So here we go...

To do this I will be using Monster Makers Monster Clay (same as I did with my nightwing mask...which I need to update!) and the Ed Head, also from Monster Makers.

I used a picture of him from the comics, and decided to start on the visor first, since that is really the more difficult part.

So far this is what I have done:
Laid out the base shape of what I am going for and I will take away clay and go from here
Also, began work on the right brow. Want to move on to the left but I'll get to that later!

Hopefully you'll continue to follow this,check out the progress, and when it's all said and done...maybe want one for yourself!

Let me know what you think and please I am open to any advice!
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

IMG_8771.JPG

IMG_8830.JPG

IMG_8831.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
First update!
Couldn't call it a night without finishing more of the brow! Symmetry is a b*&%$ but all in due time! Having taken a picture of it and really getting to look at it, I also notice the exaggerated flaring of the eyes; makes it look more like an alien head or something. So I will be fixing that tomorrow.

I added the mouth just to play around with how I want it to look; nothing permanent.

Easter weekend coming so progress is a must! Stay tuned!

IMG_8832.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!

IMG_8832.JPG

Didn't have much time to work tonight, but I was able to at least fix the flaring issue... more to come after Easter break!
IMG_8840.JPG

IMG_8840.JPG

With the flaring fixed I have now focused on making it look less bulky; it is supposed to be a visor afterall.

I also did more work on the brows and cleaned up the mouth.

I decided that instead of making it a solid skull or sectioning off the visor, I am going to carve Crossbones normal mask pattern into the visor and will paint it as such once it is cast.

After completing this I am noticing that it is off a bit, so I'll fix that tonight.

Thanks for checking in!
IMG_8848.JPGIMG_8850.JPG

IMG_8848.JPG

IMG_8850.JPG

Update!
Well, the visor is pretty much done. I need to tweek the nostrils a bit and smooth it out with a turpenoid wash, but other than that its just about ready for the silicone mold!

IMG_8935.JPG

IMG_8935.JPG

UPDATE!!!
Boy it has been a while!

I laid out the mold wall, poured my mold using Smooth-On silicone rubber mix. I did about 3-4 layers to ensure the thickness was correct, good and sturdy.

Once the mold was done, I broke down the mold wall and used plaster bandages to encase the mold.

IMG_9052.JPGIMG_9057.JPGIMG_9079.JPGIMG_9080.JPGIMG_9105.JPG

IMG_9052.JPG

IMG_9057.JPG

IMG_9079.JPG

IMG_9080.JPG

IMG_9105.JPG

UPDATE! (I need to get better at this haha

I poured my mask using Smooth-on plastic, nothing too crazy, and then cut out the eye holes and border using a dremel and knives (that was trickey). The paint job was just white spray paint, but the eye area is my own variation on the characters design (like the rest of the mask) so there are none like it. I wanted a meaner look while staying true to the character, and I believe it was achieved!

I will have one more update on this coming! Please let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions!

Thanks for following!

)IMG_9136.JPGIMG_9138.JPGIMG_9139.JPGIMG_9151.JPGIMG_9155.JPGIMG_9160.JPGIMG_9162.JPG

IMG_9136.JPG

IMG_9138.JPG

IMG_9139.JPG

IMG_9151.JPG

IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_9160.JPG

IMG_9162.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back