Compac Super 4x31 scope - how many variations???

Vanitas

Sr Member
Hi everyone,

Out of simple curiosity, I've found myself going into a bit of a deep dive surrounding the Compac Super scope variations. Most people know the 2 & 1/2 variation as being used on Han's Greedo Killer blaster. It is also known for being as rare as hen's teeth, so many people seem to settle instead for tracking down a Compac 4 x 31 scope (still quite hard to come by) and simply lathe down the front bell into a smaller ring to have it be more visually correct.

Scottjua was the first individual I've seen to have ever done this before, and in his deep dive video discussing the Greedo Killer he shows several variations of the Compac 4 x 31 scope, with particular variances in the windage knob base.

(To borrow a few images from his video, which I have linked above:)

Screenshot (1581).png

Screenshot (1583).png

In his video Scott discusses how the windage knob base seems to have changed based on the scope's serial numbers, which in turn reflect when they were made. So my main question/point of intrigue is how many other variations of this scope/the correct 2 & 1/2, if any others, have been documented?

I only bring this point up because I myself have been fortunate enough to come by a few 4 x 31 scopes myself throughout the years, with my current scope being a somewhat different variation to either of the examples Scott has shown in his video:

20231004_084020.jpg

My own scope has what seems to be a longer windage knob base then either of the variations showcased above, although it is more in the style of the "correct" base. The serial number of my scope is 12122, which I would assume makes it a much older scope then any of the ones that Scott excellently documented.

Additionally, the knurled section at the intersection of the scope body and rear bell is a separate piece on my scope, wheras on the "correct" 4 x 31 and the screen-accurate 2 & 1/2 is is all one piece with the rear bell (I have actually flipped it to be slightly more accurate, as it was originally reversed when I received it).

20231004_084037.jpg

Once again this is likely a moot question considering the 4 x 31 scope is not even the screen-used variant, but out of a combination of both curiosity and an interest in documenting all these little aspects and facets of a sought after object tangentially related to a Star Wars blaster I thought it was a question worth asking.

Thanks for reading!

Man there's have been at least 4-5 variants I've seen. Like you said there are focal length variants, and windage knob setups. Like you I have seen those with the rear focus ring being two pieces. More commonly the one piece, but it seems to definitely have some variation.

Also, on the windage knob base that is the correct SHAPE like the prop, there are at least two variations with the center screw placements. So two variations on that as well.

So one thing that I've come by is a possible alternative for the Compac Super scope that I've never seen anyone bring up before. I "think" that it might be evidence that the same scopes were outsourced/manufactured by a third party before being individually engraved for certain companies, as the scope is almost entirely outwardly 1:1 to the Compac Super 4 x 31.

I'll take some pictures soon.

I have a Swift model that's exactly like one of the incorrect versions.

I've also seen about 4-5 different variations of the scope, in all.

I've personally had 3 "correct" 4x31's and one 4x31 that had the correct body shape but a different saddle. I've seen 4 different saddle variations, not including the screw placement variation that Scott mentioned.

I'll have to see if I can dig out the Swift that I've got. The problem with it is it's just like the version pictured above, and the ocular lens assembly is undersized.

Here’s the different saddle variation that I had. It started as a 4x31, and I chopped it down.
0722202003.jpeg
0722202003a.jpeg
0722202004.jpeg
0722202003b.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a Swift model that's exactly like one of the incorrect versions.

I've also seen about 4-5 different variations of the scope, in all.

I've personally had 3 "correct" 4x31's and one 4x31 that had the correct body shape but a different saddle. I've seen 4 different saddle variations, not including the screw placement variation that Scott mentioned.

I'll have to see if I can dig out the Swift that I've got. The problem with it is it's just like the version pictured above, and the ocular lens assembly is undersized.

Here’s the different saddle variation that I had. It started as a 4x31, and I chopped it down.
View attachment 1770767View attachment 1770768View attachment 1770770View attachment 1770769

Good guess; I also came by a Swift 4 x 31 myself, but with a matching scope knob base to the Compac 4 x 31 that I have. I'll take a picture in a bit.

Good guess; I also came by a Swift 4 x 31 myself, but with a matching scope knob base to the Compac 4 x 31 that I have. I'll take a picture in a bit.
Yeah, that's what I meant, the Swift I've got looks just like this Compac. I've had it for about 5 or 6 years. I'm guessing we've both got the same one.

20231004_084020.jpg

Yep, that's the one.

Like I said, the ocular lens housing is undersized compared to the correct Compac.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back