A New Hope Chewbacca Bowcaster

Ryan Clinton

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a blaster factory anh chewbacca bowcaster kit I was commissioned to re-paint. The owner wasn't happy with the original paint job he had someone else do and after receiving it I could see why. It was assembled and painted all one color. Literally, no primer no clear coat. Only a few scuffs added by using sand paper. None of the parts were painted individually. I first completely took this thing apart then stripped all the paint. I wanted to get rid of all the machining marks and clean up any uneven machine cuts. I noticed two right away, the back of the single point scope was cut at a slight angle and the back of the butt stock was cut uneven. I reshaped the butt stock and squared up the back of the single point as well as getting rid of the machine marks throughout the stock. After smoothing everything out I primed each individual piece. I painted the single point first because I know a real one is textured. I painted the Nikko Sterling scopes next. I also cut new side plates out of aluminum. I thought it was strange that the kit comes with plastic ones. The bow I painted a very matte black to match the original. I really wanted to do bluing on this thing but it can't be done with aluminum so I added a blue/purple coat over the black on the scopes and scope rings. There were also 2 notches on the trigger guard that I filled in and painted. I didn't see them on an original Horton crossbow. I cut and bent the rear sling mount. I got the fabric for the front sling mount off of my tool pouch. It was the correct width and was broken in. Ive been trying to match all the scuffs and paint chipping I can see in the refrence images. The screen used barrel looks pretty wasted and the owner of the bowcaster doesn't want it as wasted as the original so I'll be doing a more subtle version of weathering. After mounting the knobs on the side plates I did some dusting at the base and top of each knob. I also did some aluminum black on the trigger. This is what I've done so far.
20231012_041114.jpg
20231012_041004.jpg
20231012_041135.jpg
20231012_041209.jpg
20231012_041301.jpg
20231012_041336.jpg
20231012_041418.jpg
20231012_171534.jpg
20231012_044315.jpg
20231012_171522.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed the scopes wouldn't lock in place and could easily be moved slightly to the left or right. I cut two spacers 1.5mm long and attached them to both sides of the post on the scope mount base. This kept it locked in. Really solid.
20231130_222534.jpg
20231130_222538.jpg

Nice work Ryan. I don’t have a real Horton but I like the paint work you did on the frame. The sheen looks pretty spot on. Love the single point paint work as well.

On the side plates and painting, I’m always conflicted. Production probably just mounted the greeblies on the plate first and then painted since this is the quick and easy way. I am thinking I might go your route but haven’t decided.

Anyway, I’m sure the owner will be very happy!

I its easier to weather each individual piece if you paint them individually. It takes a little more time but the finished results are better. Especially if you're trying to match screen accurate marks, chips, damage etc. Or at least pretty close to screen accurate. I didn't want these knobs to shift at all because I tried to match the marks on each knob to the refrence photos. I glued them in place as well as screwing them down in place. You can also see the angle of the screws in the refrence images so I matched that as best I could as well. The position of the scopes was interesting. Wasn't really sure until I found the two side and front images. You can actually see the scope on the right side upside-down in one of the images of Chewbacca holding it.

Thank you! I'll post up the paint I used when I get home. I used a Tamiya primer, then a textured stone rustoleum paint, then Tamiya black, then Tamiya flat clear. I masked off the reticle end so it wasn't textured. I used Tamiya clear which is almost a gloss on that section. I still need to weather the single point.

Thank you! I'll post up the paint I used when I get home. I used a Tamiya primer, then a textured stone rustoleum paint, then Tamiya black, then Tamiya flat clear. I masked off the reticle end so it wasn't textured. I used Tamiya clear which is almost a gloss on that section. I still need to weather the single point.
Awesome!! And thank you for sharing the process too!

Usually I would airbrush but since its a pretty textured scope I was fine with using a rattle can. So for the blaster factory single point scope I used steel wool first. After smoothing out the machine marks and squaring off the back of the scope which was cut at a slight angle I used a krylon colormax black primer 5581. After it dried I taped off the back of the scope about 2mm on the reticle end so it won't have any texture on it also the front where the clear cap goes. I then did a few passes with krylon stone fine texture (charcoal) 3704. Do it in light coats until you meet desired effect. You can over do it with this stuff. When it dried I removed the tape on the back and front of the scope. When that was dry I used Tamiya black TS-14. Then Tamiya flat clear TS-80. Then I covered everything except the 2mm reticle end and used Tamiya clear TS-13 on that. The tapered step reticle insert piece I painted Tamiya black TS-14 and used Tamiya flat clear TS-80 to seal it. When everything was dry I assembled it and that was all I did.
20231218_144855.jpg
20231218_144830.jpg
20231218_144911.jpg

For the blaster factory Horton crossbow stock I used krylon black primer 5581 then DupliColor DE 1654 flat black. The DupliColor was provided to me by the owner. He didn't want to waste the can he had so I used it. OdiWan72 confirmed the finish on a real Horton so I used Tamiya clear
TS-13 to seal it. To make certain spots matte for weathering I use very fine steel wool. It comes out more smooth and natural looking.
20231218_151318.jpg
20231218_151334.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back