Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Also, keep in mind that there are distinct differences in the tonality of different sections of the model (Probably because they did the original in different stages, perhaps?). I think with a practiced technique, the variations will be subtle and controllable though.

For example look at this pic - the second section to the right in the center row is darker (almost blue) that the sections above it and next to it.

DS0165.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thought on the density of the dots, or the overall appearance - correct me if I'm wrong, but re-masking a section to make adjustments should be easier than the initial mask. The placement and dimensions of the masked area are already worked out. So if I need to go in and add a bit, it may not be that huge of a deal.

Touch-ups are as simple to realize as making friscets & stencils.

Yeah... I think the key would be to do it early, if I am in fact going in to revisit these areas.

Like Brad stated, matching the following rows of blocks will be challenging, so best to "set the bar" now.

I think I need a little more black, and a lot more white.

Ok, this brings up a question; how many of the "bigger spatters" are actually drilled holes? Have you even come close to trying to match your photos of the lighted surface of the DS with screen caps showing the windows? Just curious if what I'm seeing as bigger splatters are actually the light holes.

Ok, this brings up a question; how many of the "bigger spatters" are actually drilled holes? Have you even come close to trying to match your photos of the lighted surface of the DS with screen caps showing the windows? Just curious if what I'm seeing as bigger splatters are actually the light holes.

The holes are completely invisible in the cityscapes. You can only make them out in the blank grey areas.

Well...

Perhaps not completely invisible, but they blend with the rest of the pattern such that there is no way to distinguish them.

For example, just about all the black dots in the open grey area here are lights (confirmed against studio pics). Can you see any in the speckled area?

0528090066.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, in the pic above, take a close look at the edge of the dish. Remember all the doo-hickeys I glued around the perimeter of the dish? You can see the "paint shadow" where these were on the original before the dish was lost.

Here - this shows it better. Look under the "tabs" Moe built into his.

05280900666.jpg

091709016.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yes, I see. So it looks like the holes drilled for the lights are about the same size as the speckles. After seeing your photo above you can certainly match some of the hole sizes in the splattered area but they did a great job if matching the splatter size with the window size. Thanks for posting the photo and I look forward to your progress! Looks grand!

First - let me congratulate you on finally hitting the beast with paint! It does look very good.

you asked for critique so... the original looks like it has more "white" flecks then yours, and the speckling is more dense. You almost can't see the base color in the original. It also looks like it might have a tiny bit of silver but that might just be white relfecting back as shiny... perhaps its "gloss" white.

It rocks! and will only get better!

Bravo:cheers

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
First - let me congratulate you on finally hitting the beast with paint! It does look very good.

you asked for critique so... the original looks like it has more "white" flecks then yours, and the speckling is more dense. You almost can't see the base color in the original. It also looks like it might have a tiny bit of silver but that might just be white relfecting back as shiny... perhaps its "gloss" white.

It rocks! and will only get better!

Bravo:cheers

Jedi Dade

Good eye. Yeah, sitting back and looking at my pics, I'm surprised how little white ended up on it.

My only concern with adding more density with the black, is darkening it overall. But that may be mitigated by adding more whit, or even some of the light grey base color speckled in there.

Thanks JD!

I've got to say it, but I think this thing is going to wind up looking better than
the original...way way better!

paging Edlund, Dykstra, McCune, Johnstone, Huston, Tan and that mother Mather! :lol

Here's where I am. Original, after, and before. I'll paint out the offendingly large white dots.

Original
zzz092009005.jpg

After
092009004.jpg

Before
091709018.jpg

Last edited:
the original looks a little heavier on the white, but you're much much closer with this go

maybe it's just me, but it looks like there was no background color in the stenciled areas on the original
just the speckled spray (but just on some of them)

but looking tight PH:thumbsup

Last edited:
the original looks a little heavier on the white, but you're much much closer with this go

maybe it's just me, but it looks like there was no background color in the stenciled areas on the original
just the speckled spray (but just on some of them)

but looking tight PH:thumbsup

Thanks Tony.

Yeah I think mine versus the original there will be unavoidable variances. I hit it with just a tiny bit more white since I snapped the shot, but you can't really tell. I think this is about as close as I'm going to get with out screwing it up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back