Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by PHArchivist, Nov 1, 2008.

1. crowe t

crowe t Active Member

2. samster27

samster27 Well-Known Member

This is a real labour of love...approaching 8 years in the making, just a bit more than the anticipated 6 to 12 months. But then Real Life has a way of disrupting our hobbies. Awesome work..looking forward to those last few holes being drilled and photos taken. Hang in there. Its been an interesting ride.

Good Luck finishing her

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  3. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Just a puzzle/toy...

4. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is just insane! I saw a pic of you and him standing enxt to each other and I couldn't believe that he was the same hyper kid that was coming into the garage every 5 minutes. LOL. He's a good looking kid, who's his father? ;)

I remember the first day coming to your house and us spending about 4 hours figuring out how to even paint the * thing. Hahahaha.

Harrison is 6 1/2 and Bella just turned 8. Time flies brother. Harrison hadn't even been born yet when you started this and Bella was only like 6 months old.

5. joberg

joberg Master Member

Labor of Love, Blood, Sweat and Tears...:cool

6. PHArchivist

Remember that VERY well...!

And need a repeat - I've made a significant decision about the equator lights, and would actually love to have your help.

I've decided I'm going to sand away the paint off the back wall of the equator trench (at least the center 30%-40%), and then create the lights by adding a strip (or strips) of pre-punched styrene onto the existing back wall

This will allow me far greater precision in maintaining size, shape (rectangle) and position of the trench lights, and will allow me to match the original better.

It took a lot of work (and paint) to make the trench light-proof, but the biggest challenge was the seams where the back wall meets the edges of the hemispheres. By removing paint only in the middle 30%-40% of the current back wall, the seams top and bottom should remain painted and light proof. The new strips of styrene will be primered, painted silver, black, or both plus the base color coat, so getting the new back wall light proof shouldn't be too hard...

Looking at the original, makes you wonder if thats the way they did it. We may never know, but there ARE NO trench lights there today, and some physical elements of the trench are gone today.

By the way, some have asked - on that day Brad and derived the best method of painting the city blocks, which was splattering thinned black paint (and some white too) onto the properly masked areas, then painting out the spots that were too big with grey paint (on a brush) and adding more small dots with pen or pencil.

Jedifyfe likes this.
  7. joberg

joberg Master Member

Always a Beaut. to drool over man! As for the trench, I think your idea is logical:)

8. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Rob, let me know if you need some laser cut strips for your new trench lighting.

9. Duncanator

Duncanator Well-Known Member

Amazing! It looks like you built a Saturn V kit into an actual Saturn V !!! Nobody does that!

Oh... and the Death Star looks pretty * good too. :lol

Falk and swgeek like this.
  10. WEBBY1076

WEBBY1076 New Member

Great old Death Star jokes of the 20th Century: Number 387 Death Star - 02.jpg

11. PHArchivist

Still plugging away on this. Nearing completion of lights on the upper left (of the dish) hemisphere.

A little worried about the right half of the upper dome, as my reference pics of this area are scant.

torren_of_amber likes this.
  12. spockboy

spockboy Well-Known Member

Beautiful job.

:)Spockboy

13. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Oh, I missed those updates from like 2 months ago. Its looking good. I think most of the right side didn't have so great pics of, so some of mine I just made stuff up. But I know you really can't do that so much or it gets away from the studio part.

14. PHArchivist

Would you all agree that the bottom image is the DSII...?

The red lines are the same size (though I presume Muren was a bigger man), and the circles are the same. I think the difference in size evident from the overlay of the red circles is substantial enough to override any arguments about depth-of-field, difference in size of the men, etc. Plus there is a picture of the DS1 in the back ground.

DS Comp.jpg

15. robn1

robn1 Master Member

I'd say so. The painted on surface detail has the jagged look of the unfinished DS2 hull. Plus the man's hair style looks more early 80s than mid 70s.

16. PHArchivist

That was my thought too...

17. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Definetly the DSII as it is only half a sphere. You can see the mounting plate on the back where it will be mounted to a flat board.

Ben

18. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agree 100%.

19. Jedifyfe

All you need to do is source that random calendar in the background and find out what year it is. Sheesh. Do I have to do everything for you? LOL

20. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree too. I looked at the photo before reading your post and assumed the 3rd photo was the ROTJ DStar

21. joberg

joberg Master Member

You're right: DSII

22. torren_of_amber

torren_of_amber Active Member

Howdy, I was looking at the next auction from Profiles in History and on page 388 of the catalog there is 36 inch lighted Death Star made for ANH and I thought you might like to see it if you haven't yet and see how much better yours looks. LOL.. But it is a studio built from the looks of it. Anyway, I think yours is amazing and I hope you keep sharing your work with us. Thanks
    D

23. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

24. PHArchivist

Thanks - I do have a copy of that still and, interestingly, the original model today appears to still have duct tape residue on the back side!

Treadwell likes this.
  25. PHArchivist

Thanks for sharing...

Generally, I respect Profiles In History and enjoy reading their listings. That one, however, is laughable.

$8,000 - $12,000 for a model built for a proposed documentary on a collector? Granted it was a hugely important find (the original model)... And built "to fne detail" by a former Disney Imagineer? This is it...?

I'm sorry - the tone of this post is certainly not to "dis" on your post at all. Thanks for sharing, and I find it intriguing and amusing. And the tone of this post is not to elevate my work or express any "holier than thou" sentiments.

But to expect multiple thousands of dollars for THAT is simply astonishing. And I think their verbal description is flat out deceptive. 36" in diameter? Can't prove it at this moment but I'd bet real money that is the TWELVE inch diameter off-the-shelf model kit...!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  26. torren_of_amber

torren_of_amber Active Member

I totally agree with you and I didn't see what it actually went for but I was expecting a laughable response since it was looking for such a humorous quote!!!! And now if you decide to ever sell yours you know who to go to to get a really really really good price!!! But I'm' glad to share any info that may pertain to the subject matter you are working on.
    D

27. PHArchivist

Rock on...! :cool

28. Rust and Bolts

Rust and Bolts New Member

Awesome work - any updates?

29. Optimistic Geom

Optimistic Geom Member

This project is mind boggling! Amazing work, that is some impressive dedication, keep it up :)

30. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

No death star love in quite some time.

31. PHArchivist

Wow its been nearly two years... That scares me.

32. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Have you been neglecting poking little holes again....

33. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Oh yeah, on the last page, from 2 years ago, there was a picture where you guys were trying to figure out if it was the Death Star 1 or 2.
    Found this pic today, and defiantly was 2. Has that plastic rim around the edge. I love finding pics I'd never seen before.

DS2.jpg

Jedifyfe likes this.
  34. Jedifyfe

That dish look HUGE!!! Could this have been one that they scrapped? Maybe they started out like this but then went with the etched brass version for Jedi....

35. Jedifyfe

On second thought....the dish looks correct for Jedi.

36. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

It does look big, but hard to tell with only so much done. I'm guessing they painted that much, then cut out the rest and added the etched brass. What a job that must have been.
    Sure turned out really amazing.

37. PHArchivist

Worked on this for the first time in a LONG time...

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

jkno, edge10, tdb68 and 11 others like this.
  38. 3DImpact

3DImpact Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

minifig and Darth Brass like this.
  39. PHArchivist

Some more...

IMG_4637.JPG

IMG_4638.JPG

IMG_4639.JPG

IMG_4640.JPG

jkno, edge10, tdb68 and 7 others like this.
  40. Jedifyfe

My daughter is 10 now....she was 1 when I came over to your house the first time. IMG_5671.jpg IMG_6045.JPG

41. PHArchivist

Just crazy. And my 18-YO soon-to-be high school graduate was eight.

We need to catch up, soon...

Stormy320 and Jedifyfe like this.
  42. Mark2000

Mark2000 New Member

The saddest thing about this project is that it's so old all the early pictures are broken.

43. PHArchivist

Yeah and not realistic to re-post... :(

- - - Updated - - -

But I'll post new pics as i progress.

At a glacial rate.

44. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

It is really a beauty to see this thing. Being the most realistic clone of the real deal. But I know its so tedious to work on something like this. Maybe these are the reasons the original took 19 years to be operational.

45. PHArchivist

Just about done with the upper hemisphere left of the dish...

IMG_4648.JPG

46. joberg

joberg Master Member

ILM is calling!!:cool

47. srspicer

srspicer Active Member

Awesome, keep going....

48. feek61

feek61 Sr Member

I have followed this project from the beginning; I'm glad to see some updates!! It looks fantastic!! When are you going to start doing the windows in the trench?

49. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I love that this is still going - hard to believe that this thread started in 2008!

50. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

So, when are you going to blow it up?

robn1 likes this.