Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by PHArchivist, Nov 1, 2008.

1. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Makes you wonder how the original didn't end up a molten lump of acrylic!

2. robn1

robn1 Master Member

You can see a fan in the background here, and Muren's hair blowing in the breeze. Must be for cooling.
    [​IMG]

Scratchy likes this.
  3. PHArchivist

I've always loved that shot.

swpropmaker likes this.
  4. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

I never even noticed the fan behind him. Wonder if they had the AC at like 60 degrees as well...
    Wish they had taken more pics back then.

5. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I ran into this guy at Star Wars Celebration

image.jpg

The Terminator and robn1 like this.
  6. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

7. PHArchivist

Bastard!

Didn't realize Muren was so tall... He's got three to four inches on you. Makes him, what - 5'5"...? :D

swgeek likes this.
  8. PHArchivist

There are VERY few pictures of this during production, and even fewer when it was in process (incomplete).

9. PHArchivist

Progress... I'm serious, guys, about pushing strong through the finish...

052515 004.jpg

052515 005.jpg

052515 006.jpg

10. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

This thread has never been anything less than 100% inspiration. I almost wish you wouldn't finish it!

11. joberg

joberg Master Member

Unbelievable patience/skill displayed in this this thread...result: very cool:cool

12. Jedifyfe

At least 5'2". ;)

13. CutThumb

CutThumb Sr Member

There have been some wonderful builds on this site but as a single ,original ,one of a kind all guts n' glory project this one is difficult to beat. Those last three photos are truly brilliant and hugely evocative. I got the same kind of slight chill looking at them as I did when I saw that glimpse of the Death Star at the end of the "Rogue One" trailer. The finished paintwork and lighting looks an almost perfect match. Bravo.

14. PHArchivist

Were you able to have any meaningful conversation with him...?

- - - Updated - - -

Humbling compliments - thanks guys...!

15. MMShaggy

MMShaggy New Member

The detail, motivation required to keep pushing, bravo man. This is beyond incredible!

16. PHArchivist

Would I bi fired if I made the trench lights (hanger bay openings) round instead of rectangular...?

I'm trying, and trying, but can't seem to find an efficient method of creating the more rectangular holes the original model had. If I could remove the paint (ALL the paint) from the back wall of the trench, then I'd create a new strip of plastic and add the holes in first then install this new strip.

I'm surious if the original model builders followed a similar method.

Yeah - they were better at this craft than I. But for the difficulty I've had, it couldn't have been much easer for them. Also, looking at the original today, the trench looks - well - weird. There is strip of bare plastic along the middle third of the trench back wall, and NO evidence of the original bay doors/holes. Combined with the fact that the upper "ceiling" pieces of the trench are now gone, it makes me wonder just what the hell happened, and how it looked originally (how it was originally built).

MD005.jpg

DS036.JPG

DS035.JPG

DS043.JPG

DS042.JPG

DS027.JPG

17. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Have you tried making a thin brass template that fits the trench, then just scratching inside the little window? Just a thought. No idea if it would actually work.

Dave :)

18. PHArchivist

Yup - tried that. Found a little all-metal model of the Empire State Building with perfectly-sized windows. But just too small to really get a tool in there. But maybe I should give it another try.

19. danikin72

danikin72 Active Member

This may sound obvious but have you tried precision flat tip screwdriver, sharpened to a chisel tip.
    Put different thickness spacers for different heights as to scrape away small square sections, if that makes sense.
    I'm not sure how thick the trench is but it would be tedious for sure.
    If you mess up you could square off the ends with some small styrene bits, similar to tile details, I would think the trench would have some height value changes.
    Just my 2 cents.

20. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Could also make your own scrape tool using a straight pin stuck in a wooden dowel for a handle. Might fit the window. I know they have to be small.

21. joberg

joberg Master Member

I know that everybody is talking about scraping the paint, but with the right jig, you might remove the paint with acetone?

22. srspicer

srspicer Active Member

I would not use a solvent, you will not be able to control it.

Do you have reference of the trench opening being rectangular? I doubt that the original had rectangular openings just because of all of the trouble and time that would have taken. There are lots of ways to make a tool for rectangular windows. The easiest would be to grind down and X-acto blade to the dimensions you need and use the empire state building parts again. Then you would have a standard handle to use and it would be more comfortable to use for all of these windows.

23. PHArchivist

Rectangle, or at least oval. There were also lines drawn on the back wall of the trench...

Trench 001.jpg

24. srspicer

srspicer Active Member

They are deff. holes drilled close to create an oval. I would start drilling' holes. you can get them oval by working the bit sideways slightly. No suggestion for rectangles as I really can't see how much room you have to work. Is the trench area all acrylic sheet?

25. DARKVIEW

DARKVIEW Sr Member

Wow!!! That's certainly no moon!!! Amazing...

26. DAVIDYR1

DAVIDYR1 Official Licensee RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can see them having used a strip with the holes/ovals and lines drawn on....then glued into the trench, as you already mentioned above. Personal that's how I'd do it.
    Looking great btw..

David

27. PHArchivist

Yeah the back wall is a strip of clear acrylic. With a boat load of paint. The paint on there is probably half-a-mil thick; was hard to get light-proof.

Tried drilling two holes as close as I can, but more often than not, the bit slips into the first one when trying to do the second. Not to mention that it doubles the amount holes, and triples the amount of time due to hogging out the center spine between the two. Also, if the second hole is just and RCH above or below the first, then the resulting oval becomes slanted.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  28. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Is there such thing as a morticing drill bit for plastic ,square holes

Attached Files:

29. PHArchivist

30. thorst

thorst Well-Known Member

Wow. Spectacular.

On which planet will you demonstrate its firepower?

31. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Stunning, it's one of those pieces that everyone thinks they know how much work it takes, but I bet we all underestimate how much by half.....once done it will be a rare beast as well, you can charge admittance to see it ;)

32. PHArchivist

If I were to do it again, that's totally how I'd do it... If there was an easy and effective way to remove the paint without introducing new light leaks, I'd do it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    DAVIDYR1 likes this.
  33. srspicer

srspicer Active Member

It sounds like you have a good thickness of paint built up in the trench. If having to be forced to create rectangular openings in the trench, i.e. being asked by a client to do so, I would try the following ;

Create a sheet metal guide. Very thin brass, .020 or so. Drill and shape about 6 to 10 rectangles, or more, at different levels, i.e decks. The height of the brass guide should be much shorter than the trench is. This will allow you to raise and lower the guide to vary the positions of the hangars. To keep the openings level, use different thicknesses of styrene strips to rest the guide on. Pre-bend the styrene strips to lay flat against the rear trench wall. Make sure you clean up the back side of the plate of any burrs so as not the scratch the primer as you move the plate down to the next position.

Using an old x-acto blade, grind it down to fit into the rectangles in the plate. Scrape away..... Tedious, but easier than drilling, IMHO.

Experiment on a primed pic of acrylic, should work. These scraped openings will not be as bright as the drilled holes, but I cannot think of another way to remove the primer precisely and in an organized pattern.

34. PHArchivist

Been alittle side-tracked lately with some home projects, holiday entertaining, etc. Don't let me wander!

35. joberg

joberg Master Member

Don't wander dude, do not:behave:D

36. PHArchivist

Gonna try to get back to it this weekend. But have to finish a flooring project in my son's room first...

37. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

The dude abides.

38. PHArchivist

Will try to get on it a bit today. have arthroscopic knee surgery tomorrow, so will be on the couch most of next week, but then have another week off after that.

39. joberg

joberg Master Member

Good luck for the knee surgery and quick recovery:)

40. PHArchivist

Thanks bro! Didn't make it to the model today, but hopefully after next week I can.

41. PHArchivist

Got back on this just a little bit yesterday. Just a meager 30 more holes. Nothing worth posting a pic of. But just wanted to share that I'm trying hard not to stagnate!

torren_of_amber likes this.
  42. joberg

joberg Master Member

As long as there's movement, there's progress...right?

43. PHArchivist

Yup! Keep plugging forward!

44. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Finally finished mine, made a little video for it now.......so when will you be done.......maybe after 19 years.....like the empire. hehe

45. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this is an incredible undertaking, and it continues to inspire. Can't wait to see more!

46. PHArchivist

Wow July since I last posted... Where does the time go...

Finally got my studio straightened up a bit and am working on this again. At least until soccer starts again in late February

011316 001.JPG

011316 002.JPG

011316 003.JPG

011316 007.JPG

47. dbuck

dbuck Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And over seven years in the making..... :)

48. Jedifyfe

"F" soccer....

Treadwell and swgeek like this.
  49. PHArchivist

My closest friends are those that are fastest on the keyboard! :D:cool

Hope all is well with both, and until we meet in person a virtual :cheers ( or :cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers) will do...

Is Harrison driving yet...? In all seriousness, mine (who was 8 when this all started) will be licensed next month...!

50. robn1

robn1 Master Member

Nice. What's the little one next to it?