Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

Def not lost for good...

Just need to figure out how to transport the damn thing...
Thats good to at least still have access to it.
Probably find a materiel that is soft that wouldn't wear off any paint and cover it.
Block of styrofoam that you could somehow make a sphere type hole that it could sit in, or sides or top. (I forget how it is held up)
Maybe a wood type box that the styrofoam can hold it in place, with the styrofoam peanuts to help even more.
And a nice road trip.

Were you ever able to transport it? Also it would be awesome if you could share some more photos of it! Try illuminating it with a bright directional light to mimic how it would have been lit up in space and get some cool shots of it to see how closely you can match the original film

Were you ever able to transport it? Also it would be awesome if you could share some more photos of it! Try illuminating it with a bright directional light to mimic how it would have been lit up in space and get some cool shots of it to see how closely you can match the original film
As far as I know, he has never been able to move it, and afraid of damaging it in the process. Hopefully that can happen one of these days.
In the meantime, the closest we get is this picture I made a few years back of Rob's Death Star.
Second closest would be my spinning avatar, which is a LOT smaller than his studio scale version, but its pretty accurate for being smaller and all.

tds.jpg

View attachment 1757643

Even though you haven't been able to finish this from all the crazy life stuff and moving....this is still the reason I found the RPF, 10 years ago now myself. So, very much a celebration. YAY!!!!!!!

Oh
My
!**(&%*$
God!

That long, huh?

All I need to do is sand off the middle third of the paint on the back wall of the trench, create strips with precision cut rectangles (for hanger bays) of plastic or photo etch brass to do the trench lights. And maybe redo the inner most disc of the dish so it is concave!

That's all!

Oh
My
!**(&%*$
God!

That long, huh?

All I need to do is sand off the middle third of the paint on the back wall of the trench, create strips with precision cut rectangles (for hanger bays) of plastic or photo etch brass to do the trench lights. And maybe redo the inner most disc of the dish so it is concave!

That's all!
Lol....I know...right????
Time flies.....

So guess you haven't ever figured out how to make the rectangle hanger bays exactly. I suppose its the same process of scratching the paint off, just in a rectangle area instead of round.
Almost like using a tiny tiny flat head screw driver to scratch the area....but being able to control it moving about...what? A millimeter so less?
Extremely tricky.

I do think the original had strips of plastic or brass with the rectangles precision cut.

Look at images of the model in the Seattle museum, and the back wall of the trench - middle third (vertically) is a solid band of light.

Something was there that is now missing...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back