Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

OK first - the completed masking of the first row in this quadrant.

091709005.jpg

091709002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And now for the fun stuff - hey its been less than a year!

The speckle pattern is not as dense as the original, and is not adirect duplicate. But with my technique it is the best I could do. It follows the three-foot rule. From three feet away, it looks like the original looks (I hope!).

091709011.jpg

091709012.jpg

091709013.jpg

091709014.jpg

091709015.jpg

091709016.jpg

091709018.jpg

Last edited:
That is SOOO cool Rob!!! It is looking nearly spot on! My only critism would be I think the origial paint had a little more paint dots per sq/inch, if that makes sense. Meaning yours looks a little light handed BUT damn good!

Brad

I like what I'm seeing, but what I really want to know is: Does it look Right - to You?

Scratch that - Bob, I quickly read through your post & missed your comment/evaluation. Right to You - is all that matters at this point.
I plan to be in the LA area in a couple of months (Oct./Nov.) & I would Luv to see this Build, up-close & personal.

That is SOOO cool Rob!!! It is looking nearly spot on! My only critism would be I think the origial paint had a little more paint dots per sq/inch, if that makes sense. Meaning yours looks a little light handed BUT damn good!

Makes perfect sense, and I even noted so (being the self-critic I am!) in my previous post!

So... When you make it down, we will be adding dots with pen and pencil!? :D

The challenge is, the spray creates essentially three sizes of dots:
1. Too small
2. Just right
3. Too big

The "too small" is basically dust, and I learned I can wipe this off, creating a cleaner presentation.

The "just right" is - well - just right. But its hard to get the "just right sized dots without getting too many that are too big. Its a matter of finesse with the rattle can, modulating pressure on the nozzle, duration of the spray, and distance from the model.

Last edited:
So... When you make it down, we will be adding dots with pen and pencil!? :D

Actually, the drilled light holes appear as tiny black dots when the model is in a lit room (as in my pics). So that will add some dots to each section. But there won't really be enough of these to compensate for what you are seeing, Brad.

Actually, the drilled light holes appear as tiny black dots when the model is in a lit room (as in my pics). So that will add some dots to each section. But there won't really be enough of these to compensate for what you are seeing, Brad.

I could see that happening. I think the hardest part will be matching all the other painted areas to match the currently painted areas. I would've thought you would paint them all at the same time. Are we still on for next Saturday the 26th?

Brad

I could see that happening. I think the hardest part will be matching all the other painted areas to match the currently painted areas. I would've thought you would paint them all at the same time. Are we still on for next Saturday the 26th?

Brad

Beleive me that's on my mind. But with such a large masking job (even with help) doing it all at once would make be go brain-dead. Plus with the time I'd end up taking, the low-tack painter tape would begin to lose adhesion. Its just such a large project I need to break it down into components.

Also, keep in mind that there are distinct differences in the tonality of different sections of the model (Probably because they did the original in different stages, perhaps?). I think with a practiced technique, the variations will be subtle and controllable though.

Next Saturday (9/26/09), still on! We'll connect on the phone, but pretty much anytime after 10:30 - 11:00. Ready to squat down and hunch over!? Lower dome, I'm thinking about.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back