Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

052809003.jpg

It looks like an engraved line to me !

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know...

I wonder if maybe they scribed the acrylic as a permanent refernce line for the latitude.

For example, I have one, but my line is drawn by pencil, then I use it as a guide for masking.

Again - not sure how exciting masking is, but here's the latest...

091509005.jpg

This image is out of sequence. I put it in there to see how far away from the dish the first vertical rectangle is. I think its too close. I may have to reduce the width of the rectangle by a couple millimeters.
091209003.jpg

Topost006_1.jpg

091509006.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see a return to this awesome project! :thumbsup :love

Well... Now I have something visual to show!

Good god it got tedius smoothing out the bulge along the lower dome edge that I'd inadvertantly created. ANd ntohing worth to show in pics during that six week process.

But now I'm happy to be moving forward.

I do have one "back-peddle" thing to do which will drive you all nuts; being a perfectionist. That is, the radials off the north pole are too robust. I need to somehow thin them down.

But I'm going to worry about that later!

I do have one "back-peddle" thing to do which will drive you all nuts; being a perfectionist. That is, the radials off the north pole are too robust. I need to somehow thin them down.

Excellent thing to backpeddle on Rob. Maybe mask the radials off to protect the DS surface and use a a palm sander to reduce radial thickness?

-DM

Excellent thing to backpeddle on Rob. Maybe mask the radials off to protect the DS surface and use a a palm sander to reduce radial thickness?

-DM

That's exactly what I was thinking (though will probably hand sand).

Brad had comped a pic I'd taken in bright sunlight up against a star field, and it really showd the strong shadows cast by the radials.

Then later, I saw the original in person for a second time, and confirmed mine are too strong.

Last edited:
Well? I can definitely state that viewing the masking on this beast is KILLER! You are doing amazing work Rob! Top notch my friend. (y)cool:thumbsup

THIS is going to be one heck of a show piece! :love:love:love

If I were you Rob, I'd rig something up where this beast is mounted on it's side. It would make most of the bottom so much easier to work with. Maybe clamp the support pole to the work bench or something. :)

Kurt, thanks - its fun to be back on track, moving forward with the project.

If I were you Rob, I'd rig something up where this beast is mounted on it's side. It would make most of the bottom so much easier to work with. Maybe clamp the support pole to the work bench or something. :)

I'd love to Dave, but trust me (and I'm sure you do1) it is far too unwieldy to do that. Also, the way it is constructed, it is solid and robust when gravity is pulling it down, but on its side, ro upside down, I fear the upper dome may get tweaked. Its not fragile, and its hard to explain. But if you see in it person, you'd see what I mean. Coming to California soon!?

Best option/compromise would be to rig a six foot high table to set it on so I can get myself under it without stooping. But even if I could snap my fingers and have such a table appear, I'd have to winch the darn thing up there! ;)

Last edited:
in the shots above, does it look like a base of solid grey (for the cityscapes themselves, not in between) with an overlay of black and white speckle? Or do you think its all speckling with no true solid base coat?

This shot (which I've posted earlier) is what contributes to my feeling that - at least in some areas - there was a base coat under the speckling (not the main light grey base coat, but a darker base coat for the cityscapes).

Topost005_1.jpg

In my opinion a speckle off here or there, base color this or that
this is a serious undertaking and a beautiful model!!:thumbsup
I don't think you can mess it up in any way it's looking stunning
damn I remember when you were getting past the two domes
look at it now....some thing to be real proud of!

Regards,
Michael

Re: Base Coats (flecked areas) - Some are darker, some have none at all.
And remember, "That's no moon, ...It's a Battle Station!"
Bob, Have F U N !!!

High Jack Alert: Does anyone out there have any pics or drawings of the 'Concept' DS (with Weapon on the Equator / Trench?)

Here's a test using Tamiya white and black, applied with a toothbrush. I did a few passes from varying angles. Ultimately, I think the dots are too big.
But I can control that right? Less paint on the toothbrush. Greater distance away. Etcetera. Tips...?

The left is rattle can misting; the right is the toothbrush test. Neither have any dark grey base coat; just the main, light grey base. Right now, my proposed plan is to go with the rattle can misting, then accentuate with the toothbrush, being lighter-handed with the toothbrush. But I will test a bit more.

These images are about life-size on my 19" monitor.
091609001.JPG

Topost006_1.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back