Batsuit: Arkham Origins V1

Re: WIP - Batman Arkham Origins

1 piece, what I would call the "base" is 5mm. There is a "detail" piece that
is 2mm. The rest is 3mm. Once all the layers are glued down they get pretty stiff. Plus after sealing them they become even more ridged.
I'm at Walmart looking at the foam they have here but I'm not sure what the thickness is... Im thinking it is rather either 2 or 3 mm. Only lists length and width.

I'm at Walmart looking at the foam they have here but I'm not sure what the thickness is... Im thinking it is rather either 2 or 3 mm. Only lists length and width.
Yeah, I buy my foam at Hobby Lobby. Way more of selection. I would maybe try Michael's also.

Yeah ive been to michaels too they have a decent foam selection there.
I actually purchased the 6mm foam from Michaels but was at Walmart for an unrelated purchase and decided to check out their craft section while I was there. They were $0.30 a sheet so I'll check em out.

So I grinded the stems off the bolts and I guess the heat from the process changed the color of the bolts. Hmm. Maybe I'll opt to get a chrome like spray for them then to mimic the original origins outfit. But kind of liked the color they were. Oh well. I tried to see if maybe just the primer would look good but it looks dull in comparison and doesn't compliment or give accent to the armor like it should. So a trip to lowes or auto zone tomorrow after work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 225

Yeah go with a matte/flat color. They still dont look bad though. Btw the photoshop splice pic with the figure looks great. You really got a great thing going, very inspiring

Yeah go with a matte/flat color. They still dont look bad though. Btw the photoshop splice pic with the figure looks great. You really got a great thing going, very inspiring
I'm not sure if I'll keep the bolts a flat color. I want to try a chrome or nickel finish first to see how the direct source translation looks on a real world build. If it looks too flashy then I'll tone it down. I just want it to accent not overwhelm. But if the chrome looks too meh, Ill hit it with some matte clear coat. That should tone it down and turn it into a metallic silver from what Ive read online.BTW, thanks for the compliment. Can't wait to finish this bad boy. Ill be working on the gauntlets in the next day or so.

Looking good. I'm using that 1/4 scale neca figure as my model( awesome gift from my lovely gf) I went a different route on the armor though mines all covered with gray sports fabric

Looking good. I'm using that 1/4 scale neca figure as my model( awesome gift from my lovely gf) I went a different route on the armor though mines all covered with gray sports fabric
That sounds cool. I'd love to see it. I can see how Doing that would make the costume a bit more durable and increase its lifespan as for most of it you wouldn't have to worry about cracking paint over time. I might have tried that but the original concept art I was using as a guide made it look as though everything was bare metal or some kind of solid armor. But now I see it is covered in some kind of fabric.

That sounds cool. I'd love to see it. I can see how Doing that would make the costume a bit more durable and increase its lifespan as for most of it you wouldn't have to worry about cracking paint over time. I might have tried that but the original concept art I was using as a guide made it look as though everything was bare metal or some kind of solid armor. But now I see it is covered in some kind of fabric.
Here's it before details I'm starting to add rivets and make the gauntlets look better

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 445

WOAW AWESOME !
You already look so badass in it !! Keep going, your efforts pay !

I'm also trying to make a batman suit, could you please say me if your cowl is the rubie's one we can see here ? http://www.halloweencostumes.com/acc-batman-mask-deluxe.html

Thank you, i'm doing a comic style one with a zentai suit, i will show the result when it will be over ! ;)

Yes it is the same one. Thanks for your kind words. I can't wait to see pics of your build.

Okay. Well today I tried chroming out the bolts. Looked like crap in my opinion. I think my armor is too dark to take that color. Looked totally out of place and all the attention was pulled to the bolts. I ended up just spraying them with two coats of flat black. Looks much better. Next I started on the ribbed rubber like material on his ribcage as well as making the belt buckle. I'm about to go to the garage and throw some plastidip on the buckle right now and then primer the sucker. But this is my current progress as of now.image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 251
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Few more pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 223

Few more pics.

If you don't mind me asking, did you dremel those grooves for the rib area into one solid piece of foam or multiple strips and glue them together? I never thought about how to get that right. Thanks. And again, great work. The fit is excellent. Oh, last question this post; out of curiosity, how much plastidip did you use for the chestplate and an section? About half a can, one, two? Cheers.

If you don't mind me asking, did you dremel those grooves for the rib area into one solid piece of foam or multiple strips and glue them together? I never thought about how to get that right. Thanks. And again, great work. The fit is excellent. Oh, last question this post; out of curiosity, how much plastidip did you use for the chestplate and an section? About half a can, one, two? Cheers.

I actually tried the dremel and it wasn't working to get the effect I wanted. So what I did was get a 6mm foam sheet.
Drew the lines in pen then I scored them with a razor blade.
next I hit the foam with s heat gun so that the razor marks open up.
I then scored the same lines but did so at an angle on each side and once again hit them with the heat gun.
It took a little trial and error but I had a couple things I wanted to try and I finally got exactly the effect I wanted.
Tomorrow I'll be doing the rest of the ribs and the back plate. Then I can move onto something else. Like the arms or the neck armor.

About the plastidip I used less than a can of gunmetal grey on it. Threw down about 3-5 good layers. Can't recall.
Same can of dip also colored the abs.

Used the black plastidip for the frame. And now that I'm thinking about it I totally forgot to plastidip the ribbed peices I made. Damn. And I already glued them on. Oh well they are already the color they are supposed to be anyhow. So I guess it won't make much difference since I'm not going to paint them.

Looking great man! The ribs looks great keep the updates coming!
Thanks man. Just finished the rest of the ribs armor. Going to work on the back plate right now I think.
can i ask what kind of color grey you sprayed on this? :D
Gunmetal grey: plastidip

- - - Updated - - -

Just added the rest of the ribcage armor. Threw on a few more bolts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 259
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back