Bandai release schedule

The clear parts make it easier to give a light effect for an area with a spotlight on it?

A technique I believe called Raytheon lighting

essentially you put the LED on the inside right against the area, sand a bit of you light blocking away and the LED makes the plastic shine like there is a spotlight on it.

This is not my pic, but it gives the idea

View attachment 1056163

I think that Bandai is utilizing a variation of light piping instead of Raytheon lighting. But I may be wrong. *shrug*

My experience was decidedly different. The Tamiya Fine Surface Primer I used on the first Bandai kit I built, caused the plastic engine rods to crack and break on the Y-Wing, which is when I learned that lacquers and enamels are a risk to use on them.

Since then I have used Stynlrez with excellent results on Bandai kits with no worries or risk to the plastic.

I built one of those mini Bandai SD's years ago and finished it off with a coat of Tamiya primer white. It's been fine.

Build of the mini Super Star Destroyer. showing off the insane level of detail:

bandai_superstardestroyer007.jpg

I built my Bandai SD yesterday--amazing detail. But I do wish they'd have done a larger version. I would gladly have paid $300-$400 for something two or three times larger with this lighting system.

I built my Bandai SD yesterday--amazing detail. But I do wish they'd have done a larger version. I would gladly have paid $300-$400 for something two or three times larger with this lighting system.

I think we all wish that. And who knows? Maybe Bandai WAS thinking of doing something on the same size scale as the PG Falcon for the Star Destroyer originally. There was a promo video a few years back that showcased a Bandai engineer looking over a prototype scale model that looked at least as large as the old Anigrand resin kit that stipulated that it was waiting for some kind of approval from Lucasfilm.

Perhaps it was Zvezda/Revell 1/2700 that killed the original scale being planned? We know that Hasbro managed to get Lucasfilm to prohibit Bandai including standing pilots in their models after the original releases of the Y-wing/X-wing and TIE Fighter because they argued that they were then 'action figures' and they had the exclusive license. Revell has the hobby license in major non-Asian markets for model kits and if memory serves there was an issue a few years ago where they got Lucasfilm to prohibit selling the Bandai kits in the States. Over time Bluefin ended up getting distribution rights for Bandai kits here. Who knows if once Revell bought the Zvezda kit to redistribute as their brand that they once again raised a stink with Lucasfilm to prohibit the Bandai from selling the Star Destroyer and Bandai had to rescale it down to 1/5000? Would be interesting to know if such a thing took place considering the success Bandai had with the PG 1/72 Falcon and a larger Destroyer kit at least as large had run into legal issues from Revell.

I am just glad to get a superior-detailed styrene version of a star destroyer at retail, even if it is at a scale less then underwhelming. As nice as the Zvezda is, it is horribly inaccurate in the details, even though they got the angles and base dimensions correct.

Well, Revell are distributing some Bandai Star Wars products in Europe, so they're clearly not entirely adversarial.

I think the usual arguments - that Bandai's primary market of Asia values smaller models, and that the success of the Zvezda destroyer has seriously eaten any potential market for a larger SD - are quite reasonable here.

I wonder if they have the soldier buried in that SSD somewhere. I personally would rather live without it.

Lol, that’s a good question actually. Should be easy enough to spot if it’s there. I’m still waiting on mine but won’t really mind either way to be honest.

The Super Star Destroyer studio model basically looks completely off white without color variation That's kinda boring. I might have to deviate from that a bit.

Basically it comes down to whether you want to duplicate a filming model in it's raw in person state, or you want to depict what you remember / see on screen.

The screen look is often much different due to dramatic lighting as well as filters and post processing effects etc.. applied to it

If you ask most people, they would probably remember it as being a light grey with a slight bit of a bluish tinge to it

These days, I generally try to aim for what is closer to the "finished" product on screen instead of making a model of a model.

The filming model is a good place to start, but don't be scared to take some creative license from time to time

My lighted ISD arrived also. Not very impressed with that included booklet- more like a couple of small pages with postage stamp photos.
Not sure which direction I am going to take this kit, watching other peoples build ups to look at options. Right no wI am inclined to give the clear pieces a try, but I am going to paint them on the sprues and see how they look before assembling anything so if it looks like crap or detail gets too blurred I have the standard pieces for backup.

They're not warped, they're just happy to see you. :p

On a serious note, I wonder if that is why the started putting some of the First Edition hulls on cardboad? Mine did not have that luxury.
I just looked at mine (finally have it in my home) and it might be quite the opposite - putting hull on cardboard might be the cause of warping, because it's underside it's not even, yet they decided to almost squish it on that cardboard.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back