Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Looking at JoelSG's closeup of the jaws this jumped out:

Wba9PCJ.png

I don't see this bit in the instructions but I do see it on the 5 footer. Did Bandai miss this part or am I overlooking something?

Ha, sorry for the confusion, it’s some styrene rod that I added. The 5 footer has a similar piece. The bandai version is molded partially into the “saucer”, and partially into the back of the mouth section. So there is a gap/seam in what should be a solid rod/pipe. I chiseled the bandai parts away, and after I had glued the top and bottom halves of the Falcon together, added the Evergreen plastic rod. There’s always room for improvements!

Sweet Jebus! I never looked closely enough at that rod to realize it would look better replaced. And now I'm never NOT going to see that molded detail. So -- argh -- I'm going to have to see if I can replace it. Good catch, JoelSG!

Sweet Jebus! I never looked closely enough at that rod to realize it would look better replaced. And now I'm never NOT going to see that molded detail. So -- argh -- I'm going to have to see if I can replace it. Good catch, JoelSG!

It's hard to see at least...although just behind it is a sort of trident-looking part that's molded in like a solid block... I thought about chiseling it out and replacing it too but I was like "aw, I won't notice it"...but I still do...

IMG_0292a.jpg

There are a bunch of details which, as wonderful as Bandai’s work is, they chose to mould into the saucer surface or whatever. So it doesn’t quite look like the separate pieces used on the original model... I think subtly undercutting some of the joins with a knife is as far as I’ll go on most of these. :)

Last edited:
So I finally joined the ranks and my PG Falcon kit arrived. I also got through all 242 pages but I’m not sure I remember anything I’ve read now...lol. In any case, I’ve got some planning and building to do but from a painting perspective I think I’ll go with black Vallejo primer and Tamiya AS-20 insignia white as my base coat. Anyone use this combo? Thoughts?

So I finally joined the ranks and my PG Falcon kit arrived. I also got through all 242 pages but I’m not sure I remember anything I’ve read now...lol. In any case, I’ve got some planning and building to do but from a painting perspective I think I’ll go with black Vallejo primer and Tamiya AS-20 insignia white as my base coat. Anyone use this combo? Thoughts?
I've heard bad things about Vallejo primer, it doesn't bond well to the plastic and can pull up with masking tape. Mr. Surfacer 1500 or Stynylrez are better choices.

I used Tamiya's gray rattle-can primer and then AS-20 over that. Worked fine, except for the oil wash on something that apparently didn't get enough primer.

SB

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back