Apex Legends - Wingman (The Death Ray)

diogorsergio

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Apex Legends came out and I was looking for a new gun to make, something more achievable that my Quake3 - Machine Gun project. Looking around I found this skin of the popular Wingman pistol which is quite cool and ray-gun looking. Really like the way it looks.

Still modeling the pistol but its getting there! What a pain it will be to print :D Let's see how it goes!

Y2YRXBL.png

KQVxq9v.png

H0LpEJ8.png

ZPnIGlI.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-14 22.13.52.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-14 22.13.52.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 428
  • Screenshot 2019-02-14 22.14.01.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-14 22.14.01.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 495
  • Screenshot 2019-02-16 21.56.07.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-16 21.56.07.png
    524.5 KB · Views: 488
  • Screenshot 2019-02-16 22.02.52.png
    Screenshot 2019-02-16 22.02.52.png
    727.2 KB · Views: 956
Last edited:
That looks fantastic! Im playing this game too and came in here to see if anyone was making any of the cool looking weapons.
Hope to see the finished pistol.

Thanks!

The Merciless Wing has a bit more textured detail that's why I moved away to the The Death Ray :) Let's see how this one will print and I might spend some time to model the different parts for the Merciless Wing.

That would be amazing if you finished the merciless wing saying it’s the skin I use. Another one you could maybe take a stab at but could be a challenge is the last spartan for the r-301.

The model is finish! But currently not really happy with the handle, so I might redo that. Thoughts?

k4hWg6F.png

YPpJJ4N.png

l8TltWn.png

b0tn2R4.jpg

Last edited:
Printed some parts! Tried printing in ABS.. the orange parts and all went well.. ABS is super nice to sand.. but when I tried to print the main body part.. it kept warping even with a makeshift enclosure! :/ Had to revert back to PLA .. the yellow part. Let's see how it goes.

Putting together an IKEA LACK enclosure for the printer, in the hopes that will improve the ABS capabilities.

5QxvRNv.jpg

vAfljZb.jpg

fzUZZ3L.jpg

Hey a fellow Prusa i3 owner, also loving the progress on the wingman it looks great. There are some great two part epoxies out in the wild that will reduce the difficulty of sanding PLA and paint really well. Made my life about 1000x better when I started using them on the prints I wanted to paint and make look like production parts. Also if you ever consider selling your STLs definitely put me on the list, looks gorgeous.

SantaKlaus can you link to that epoxy you mention? how does that process go?

In the mean time printed some more parts! Its getting there!

pqXRzFA.jpg

wiG2ZBU.jpg

Yeah definitely, the link is below, you can pick it up on amazon for dat free shipping. This being the RPF I'm sure others might recommend a different epoxy but this is just what I use. Its a little more expensive than other two part epoxies but I've had good luck with it. Dry times tend to be longer than advertised though unless you use a hair dryer or heat gun. I used this stuff to finish a open-able 3D printed pokeball, I just printed the shells in their appropriate colors, sanded any crazy rough areas and then layered it on. I didn't end up needed more than 2 thin coats before it was smooth and the print lines pretty much gone (.1mm layer height).

Also new parts look great, what layer height are you using for these?

XTC-3D®, High Performance 3D Print Coating

Hmm, that looks interesting! I might give it ago. Just wondering on how that coat will affect the tolerances I have for the pieces. How thick do you think a coat adds to the part?

I'm currently printing at .2mm layer height. ABS sands super easy, I can get a smooth finish fairly quickly. Sandpaper 320 grit and then 600 to smooth. PLA is a bit more difficult.

Printed everything! :) Now just need to to sand, paint and glue it together :D For the picture I used bluetack to keep pieces in place.

bnfrOed.jpg

4wC3Ti5.jpg

Last edited:
I am not actually positive how much it adds in terms of thickness, you can apply it both as a thinner or in a thicker layer so its kinda up to you. It never seems like that much and any area that i have a little extra I just quickly sand down. . I personally have never really used it on areas that are being joined together like a peg or hole for conjoining pieces cause you don't ever see them. I've only used it on external areas that need to be smooth before they get painted like the grip or barrel of the Wingman in your last pic.

Nice, they really good and almost look like .1mm prints from the pictures. I agree PLA is more of a hassle to post process than ABS, the ABS fumes are just what kills it for me.

Turned out great!

The printer filament colors make it look/feel like a NERF gun.. LOL

* jealous of your Fusion360 skills! (havent been able to grasp it yet outside if boxes with extruded walls!) LOL

Would you let others have a crack at your wingman? Id love to have this version of the weapon! Though I think I personally would print the majority of the parts on my anycubic.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back