Accident on the set of Rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joberg

Legendary Member
Alec Baldwin has killed a cameraman and wounded the director of his new film ``Rust``.
Accidental discharge of a gun. The investigation is ongoing and Baldwin was not charged by the
Sheriff`s office. Very sad day for everybody involved with the production and the families of the people
impacted by this accident.:(

Horrible news. Those poor people. You'd hope after what happened with The Crow, that this would never ever happen again.
Accidents are bound to happen on set. 100% risk-free does not exist I`m afraid. Whether it`s a stunt, explosions, shooting, fighting, etc...There`s always an inherent risk involved.:(

Horrible news. Those poor people. You'd hope after what happened with The Crow, that this would never ever happen again.
Baldwin probably didn't heed the instructions from the armorer(s) on how to properly and safely handle a firearm. He probably thought that it was perfectly safe to treat it as a toy since it only fired blanks.

Media report sound like the gun had live ammo, but I am assuming that firearms loaded with "blanks" can still have serious issues/accidents?

Baldwin probably didn't heed the instructions from the armorer(s) on how to properly and safely handle a firearm. He probably thought that it was perfectly safe to treat it as a toy since it only fired blanks.
Pretty bold to throw it on an actor to be screwing around with it like it’s a toy.

Was the actor not properly handling the fire arm on the crow?

See if I can remember how that went down, but believe it was just all fluke bad luck.

Last edited:
Media report sound like the gun had live ammo, but I am assuming that firearms loaded with "blanks" can still have serious issues/accidents?

I watched a bit on Brandon Lee’s death like a decade ago (so may get some of it wrong) but that one went down like this….

They loaded the gun with empty bullets (casing and bullet tip/no gun powder) and fired it off at the camera so looking down the barrel of the gun on a close up, you’d see the bullet tips in the cylinder.

Cuz blanks don’t have bullets “tips” just the casing (I’m Canadian… I don’t know guns heh)

So one of those gunpowder empty bullets had some residue, and when fired the pin ignited a “bit” and the bullet tip came out and went into the barrel… no one noticed

Then they loaded the gun with blanks for the wide shot… gun powder shells with no bullet tips…. BUT A BULLET WAS NOW IN THE BARREL.

So on the wide shot, the actor fired the gun at Brandon, and that was it….

It’s been forever since i saw the rundown, but I believe that’s the reason.

Really the amount of guns fired and bullets used in movies, it’s surprising it doesn’t happen more often.

That about sums it up with Brandon Lee. The other issue with that particular production was that given the low budget they didn't have a qualified firearms expert on the set to make sure the guns were handled correctly. I believe it resulted in a lawsuit of the production for negligence.

In both cases it's just such a shame.

Baldwin broke all the rules -
1: ALWAYS treat a firearm as loaded.
2: NEVER point the barrel at anything you don't want to destroy.
3: Keep you finger OFF the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.
4: KNOW what is beyond your target and on each side.
No matter how irresponsible the armorer is, this is on Baldwin.

Having been on sets with firearms involved; I felt unsafe due to the careless handling of the firearms..

...I just don't know how production will ever continue after a devastating accident like this on set. This is not "The Crow" from 30 years ago. Baldwin, even if found to be not at (partial) fault, will undoubtedly suffer with the mental anguish and some form of PTSD for some time. I see serious counseling in his future. Never say never, but I would not be surprised if he hangs up his acting career. The director was injured, the cinematographer was killed.

The stigma alone this movie would have if ever completed and released, in today's social environment, I think would not be worth the expense to the production company and distributor.

My guess is the production company will eventually file their insurance claim and cease production altogether.

Baldwin broke all the rules -
1: ALWAYS treat a firearm as loaded.
2: NEVER point the barrel at anything you don't want to destroy.
3: Keep you finger OFF the trigger until you are on target and ready to fire.
4: KNOW what is beyond your target and on each side.
No matter how irresponsible the armorer is, this is on Baldwin.

Having been on sets with firearms involved; I felt unsafe due to the careless handling of the firearms..
Is this info out? How do you know this happened?

Were you on set?

...I just don't know how production will ever continue after a devastating accident like this on set. This is not "The Crow" from 30 years ago. Baldwin, even if found to be not at (partial) fault, will undoubtedly suffer with the mental anguish and some form of PTSD for some time. I see serious counseling in his future. Never say never, but I would not be surprised if he hangs up his acting career. The director was injured, the cinematographer was killed.

The stigma alone this movie would have if ever completed and released, in today's social environment, I think would not be worth the expense to the production company and distributor.

My guess is the production company will eventually file their insurance claim and cease production altogether.

Michael Massee, the actor that shot Brandon Lee never got over it. He quit acting for a while and still had trauma from the event years after. He rarely spoke about it, but here is the one interview where he does.

Not any knowledge of movie rearms.... but are there "prop" revolvers with functioning/rotating barrels that have "fake" (not blanks) bullets/casings permanently in the chamber for the realistic look when filming up the barrel of the gun, or for closeups? In other words, why do any film/tv productions nowadays need to use real firearms even if they "only" have blanks?

Is this info out? How do you know this happened?

Were you on set?
Basic rules of firearm safty. I don't "need" to be on this set to know. Baldwin broke all the rules.. It's on him. Yes, the armorer is also too blame for handing Baldwin a hot gun but the gun was in Baldwin's control. Have trained in the use of firearms since 1980 and certified by Calaveras Sheriff's in '85, working on set for nearly two decades; there is only one person who the felt lies on. Now, if it is determined that the gun exploded or some other catastrophic failure occurred, that is a different story and I would say Baldwin would not be too blame. However by all accounts he fired a weapon in negligence and one person died and another was injured.

Basic rules of firearm safty. I don't "need" to be on this set to know. Baldwin broke all the rules.. It's on him. Yes, the armorer is also too blame for handing Baldwin a hot gun but the gun was in Baldwin's control. Have trained in the use of firearms since 1980 and certified by Calaveras Sheriff's in '85, working on set for nearly two decades; there is only one person who the felt lies on. Now, if it is determined that the gun exploded or some other catastrophic failure occurred, that is a different story and I would say Baldwin would not be too blame. However by all accounts he fired a weapon in negligence and one person died and another was injured.M

You could have stopped at “I don’t need to be on set” - you weren’t there.

It’s ridiculous to blame anyone at this point.

My gawd

And to follow up on the Brandon Lee death… according to you it was that actors fault as well?

Never mind… don’t need an answer. It wasn’t.

Even blanks have to be treated as a live round. There is a considerable amount of pressure, flame and fragments that come out of a blank. It easily can kill if not treated with respect.

TazMan2000

Yep, that's what killed the guy that was on "Voyagers" tv show in the early 80's. He was having a stressful day and made some joke about shooting himself, aimed the gun at his temple and fired
Blank fragments went into his skull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back