Accident on the set of Rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Santa Fe Sheriff just held a press conference. They confirmed certain details about the incident and some of the evidence they collected. Both the sheriff and the DA said the investigation is still ongoing and too early to tell if there will be criminal charges pursued.
There will be a lot that depends on the facts with respect to whether a criminal prosecution occurs. The mental states involved will play a role (e.g., degree of intent and/or negligence).

That's all separate from whatever will come from a civil suit, which most assuredly will be filed by Halyna's estate. And if the production side is smart, they'll angle for a settlement.

Yeah I would assume a civil suit is incoming regardless of the criminal investigation. Especially since, if nothing else, everyone can agree this was 100% preventable.

I can't imagine a circumstance where someone is shot and killed and criminal charges would not be pursued outside of a self-defense shooting. Based on the apparent facts of the case I can't see how this is not involuntary manslaughter.

There were no criminal charges in the Brandon Lee shooting.

• Wow
Reactions: JPH
I'm Swedish, and a civilian. Most of what I know, I know through watching American films and tv shows. Basically I can change a mag(or is it called a clip?? I don't know! I do know some people get upset when you get it wrong haha) for a Beretta 92F/M9, remove the safety and fire it.
Meaning I am clueless. :lol: :lol: And I stay away from guns. No offense! (y)
Don’t worry about the people that take offence at the drop of a hat. I had to do 20 push-ups every time I slipped up and called a magazine a clip. But I don’t get paid to correct people so…

BTW It is certain that your knowledge of English is better than mine of Swedish. I keep the subtitles ON for all Ingmar Bergman films.

If more clueless people stayed away from guns we would be arguing about something else right now ;-)

Given so far what is known, I hope there doesn’t end up being a ban on anything. Done right like any workplace requiring safety steps and procedures it’s perfectly safe when those are adhered to. We have too much of a knee jerk reaction sometimes where an incident like this ends up punishing everyone who did nothing wrong.

Henceforth, all movie productions should be scaled down to the use of puppets, in order to avoid any future incidents involving actors, stunts, or props.

43F4D976-2637-4773-A7C3-99F7CFF1FB75.jpeg

Never has there been an incident involving the use of puppets.

B1E54E7B-771E-4D29-A1EF-9CE5B2BF52D7.jpeg

….by the gods, that Lady Elaine is the stuff of nightmares…

11D78AEF-8A7F-4DF8-9711-39086762E9EF.jpeg

….the stuff of nightmares…

F94D2136-45B1-4B22-9F76-29D44C7AF922.jpeg

Nevermind—let’s use human actors.

Forget what I said, earlier.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth:

“Though Baldwin fired the gun resulting in Hutchins' death and Souza's injury, it's unlikely the "30 Rock" alum will face criminal charges, especially if he didn't know the firearm contained live ammunition, says Neama Rahmani, a former federal prosecutor who co-founded the Los Angeles personal injury firm West Coast Trial Lawyers.”

“One circumstance for which Baldwin could be held liable, Rahmani says, is if evidence arises suggesting the actor behaved irresponsibly with the gun despite knowing the risks. That could amount to criminal negligence on the part of Baldwin, though there's no evidence to support that.”

Henceforth, all movie productions should be scaled down to the use of puppets, in order to avoid any future incidents involving actors, stunts, or props.

View attachment 1507118

Never has there been an incident involving the use of puppets.

View attachment 1507123

….by the gods, that Lady Elaine is the stuff of nightmares…

View attachment 1507124

….the stuff of nightmares…

View attachment 1507126

Nevermind—let’s use human actors.

Forget what I said, earlier.

Isn't that rosacea-ist?

Quote from FOX affiliate
"The firearm that Alec Baldwin was holding when an accidental discharge resulted in the death of Halyna Hutchins was an F Lee Pietta long colt 45 revolver."
The Sheriff confirmed that a lead round was recovered from the medical team that treated the Director indicating that a live, real cartridge was in the revolver.

Im quickly trying to get up to speed from tbe past 24 hours via articles and this thread. I've not seen anywhere else but here about the make of the gun. I'm also reading confusing information if the gun was clear or was loaded with live blanks or loaded with prop inert ammunition.

If it was loaded with prop inert ammunition, in this case I'm reading a quote that says a hole was drilled into each on the side, then how did that single live projectile round, bullet, get loaded into that gun.

It's not easy to get an FFL in some states. From what I'm hearing this part could get messy.

I'm going to assume the "f lee pietta long colt 45 revolver" is an 1873 model.

Earlier someone asked if actors are allowed to ask about a weapon inspection upon hand off. Yes they can ask to have the weapon inspected and cleared in front of them by an armorer or if it's a prop gun (not live fire) the prop master. It's not uncommon for an AD to do this with prop weapons that are not live fire meaning no armorer is needed on set. It's not just guns but any prop weapon, a sword, knife, stick, stone, bottle, teacup... All are inspected prior to use. Even break away items have a safety announcement prior to use.

Seeing as how this thread has grown quite fast over the last few days, and I haven't read every single post, so this might have been covered....but....
I keep seeing these articles saying that the gun misfired several times, and how it misfired and killed the director of photography.
So just to be sure, I looked up a gun misfired definition, and it says thats when the gun does NOT shoot like its suppose to, which is what I thought.
So a misfire wouldn't fire the bullet like it did.
So they are really mis-using that word correctly.
From what I am getting at from these writers, is that to them, a misfire means, the gun fired on its own without anyone pulling the trigger.
I wanted to ask anyones thoughts one that.

Im quickly trying to get up to speed from tbe past 24 hours via articles and this thread. I've not seen anywhere else but here about the make of the gun. I'm also reading confusing information if the gun was clear or was loaded with live blanks or loaded with prop inert ammunition.

If it was loaded with prop inert ammunition, in this case I'm reading a quote that says a hole was drilled into each on the side, then how did that single live projectile round, bullet, get loaded into that gun.

It's not easy to get an FFL in some states. From what I'm hearing this part could get messy.
You might want to start with today's press conference with Santa Fe Sheriff's department and DA. That explains all you need to know. Everything else you hear is just rumor.

He says that around 500 rounds were collected which was a mix of blanks, dummy rounds and live rounds. His definition of a live round does not include blanks, in case you were trying to go there. A live round is designed to fire a bullet. He states appropriately that live rounds have no business being on a movie set. He also states that a live round was in the gun in Mr. Baldwin's posession and it should not have been there. He says that the actor then fired the gun killing the cinematographer and wounding the director.

The officer also explains the model of revolver. And he states a lead bullet recovered from the director's shoulder is the projectile that came from the gun that Mr. Baldwin fired. He didn't even suggest that the victims might have been shot with blanks and states they were both hit with a bullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back