2011 RPF Secret Santa Gift Exchange (sign up has closed)

As odd as it sounds, it is better to give than to receive. (I got a very nice gift) However, I spent a lot of time and effort researching GB props to do something outside my comfort zone for my SS.
My SS recipient hasn't been online for a month and this thread has pretty much run it's course.

I did a custom GB trap that hides a retro Bluetooth phone.

oh man, that's an awesome gift!

I think what we may have to do next year is have it set up where you have to have a minimum post count to participate. I know it may sound harsh but it would be a little more security on the event.

I think what we may have to do next year is have it set up where you have to have a minimum post count to participate. I know it may sound harsh but it would be a little more security on the event.

Actually my fiance was saying that you should have to show proof of transactions as well. Some form of paypal receipts or etsy or ebay feedback or just references from forums such as the RPF or others to vouch for that person as a seller or buyer. Along with the minimum post count.

I know many will be against something like that saying it's to complicated or unfair or this is supposed to be "fun" or many other things but the fact of the matter is is that people invested time and money into doing this and have now been basically taken advantage of. Obviously it's of your own choice to do something like this and accept the risks that come with it but if stuff like this happens (and lets be honest it's only going to get worse not better as more people get involved if this becomes a regular thing) then maybe the rule should be do not make anything and do not go above the $30 "value" of the item.

It's just my opinion and I know that it's a very nice thing for OB to run and for the RPF to put together but sometimes stuff like this just might not be worth it if it allows people like that guy to step in and do this. I mean, there really is nothing stopping anyone from taking advantage of this situation. And when they do they may not actually get banned, just reported to the mods and flagged and maybe banned from participating in things like this.

I have a tracking number for my SS who is on the not updated they received list. Shows delivered. But I know they posted recently they were selling items and lost their job so not sure if they are really interested in posting or keeping the items. So if selling it helps them I hope they do :)

I remember for last year's I suggested a 100 post minimum but got lambasted for it. Fact of the matter is you can rack up a post count really quick and have it not mean anything at all ("great build!", "love it!", etc).

Obviously it's of your own choice to do something like this and accept the risks that come with it but if stuff like this happens (and lets be honest it's only going to get worse not better as more people get involved if this becomes a regular thing) then maybe the rule should be do not make anything and do not go above the $30 "value" of the item.

Sadly that would be absolutely the death of the spirit of the Secret Santa.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that there are 80 participants and only 5 transactions are currently suspect (that may grow but I have a feeling not by much). Not too shabby and although I'm not a mod I can assure you that they don't look on ripping people off in the Secret Santa lightly.

I do plan on doing this yearly, I love it and the effort I put into it is totally worth the great feelings I get seeing everyone putting so much thought into their gifts. Are there a few bad apples? Yes, always will be. They don't spoil the whole bunch though and those left out will be looked after as proved by all the members that jumped in to offer to help.

Second PMs are going out to the "not sent yet" folks tonight, then a little time and off to the mods to deal with.

Again though, so far we're operating on the assumption that 75 of these 80 transactions are fine. A little late perhaps as there were a bunch of late shippers, but fine.

Buck up. :)

I remember for last year's I suggested a 100 post minimum but got lambasted for it. Fact of the matter is you can rack up a post count really quick and have it not mean anything at all ("great build!", "love it!", etc).

100? Oof. I'm only at 57 and been year for a year and a half. But most (if not all) are good quality posts and not just "awesome."

Also, still no "r" from my recipient. If they don't post something soon, I'll see if I can hunt down a tracking number just to confirm that it was delivered - it was sent out through the shipping department at my work, so I didn't handle it directly.

Well guys, looks like while my SS did not stiff me, I think I may have been stiffed. DC shows the package delivered but my searching high and low has uncovered zip :cry

I am not sure what occurred but I guess that is what I get for being out of town. :behave

I am sorry SS.

However it is just as awesome to give as it is to receive and I am happy my gifts made it to their destination. Always scary shipping prints, especially good ones. Glad they didn't fall into the Pacific ! :thumbsup

Aloha Buddy !

Alright folks, a big THANK YOU to the four who offered (one through PM) to send our NZ friend a gift.

There will probably be a couple more in the coming weeks so I'll keep your names. Finhead was the first to post so I'll send him a PM with the username & address of Lucky's recipient.

For every Mitchell Laine there's 10 saints on this board. You guys rock! :thumbsup

I agree. This thread, these wonderful boardies rock !

100? Oof. I'm only at 57 and been year for a year and a half. But most (if not all) are good quality posts and not just "awesome."

Exactly, post count doesn't mean much in many cases, there are people with thousands of OT posts who have post counts that are very low too. Tonight I'll run my own little experiment and find the average post count of the people I haven't heard from. It'll be higher than you think, at least one person on that list has over 1,000...

An alternative to post count is that santas have a sponsor or witness. I'm not sure what you'd call it.

For example, if someone new signs up then they can say, "I have dealt with So-And-So" and then we (I'll help so Orange_Blend isn't doing everything and I thought of it) contact So-And-So and confirm the santa has dealt with them and delivered.

Obviously not everyone has to be sponsored due to well known dealings and reputations.

Having to show Paypal receipts would count me out, because I rarely buy anything here. And not being able to make stuff would sap the fun from this event.

I would be against a min post count. I think there are people lined up to send a default gifts to those who came up short. Part of the fun is the anticipation.
I was a little bummed that my recipient was a new member since I did not have much history to research. I did love the idea of having to make a gift to a different members standard.

Replace,ent part came today!

a5e4feea.jpg

You can place me on the received list. ;)

what'd ya get? pics please, seeing everyones gifts is half the fun.
That Demolition man badge is SWEET! (I'd turn it into a peephole for the front door)
I too signed up cos I wanted to make someone happy with a cool gift. I researched my recipient and made something I hope they'll like, I can't wait to hear what they think.
I will not be complaining about having to wait as what I made went out late too. I think it's hilarious that I got Mitchell Laine as my SS, what were the odds of that? (I've just finished reading about him and can I say?... I HATE MITCHELL LAINE.) :angry Though I have no doubt that things will work out good for me, that's how karma works, :love
This should continue as is, we just have to be vigilant about guys like him, even if 5 people a year didn't come through (and get banned for it) we can cover extra gifts, I have plenty of stuff that you all would love, and so do others here who run molds etc. weed 'em out, write 'em off and we will build a trustworthy community of Santas. I'd do a Halloween one too cos that's my real xmas. :love

An alternative to post count is that santas have a sponsor or witness. I'm not sure what you'd call it.

For example, if someone new signs up then they can say, "I have dealt with So-And-So" and then we (I'll help so Orange_Blend isn't doing everything and I thought of it) contact So-And-So and confirm the santa has dealt with them and delivered.

Obviously not everyone has to be sponsored due to well known dealings and reputations.

I hate to say but with reputation becoming a great new thing here we could base participation on on your reputation. Just a thought and my 2 cents

I agree with the sentiment of most here. I hate to see the few folks who took advantage of the situation ruin the spirit of this. I am sorry for the hassle Orange Blend has as well. Overall I thimk the SS really represented the best in people in the RPF. It has fostered a sense of community and was very much fun. I am not much of a fabricator but this motivated me to get a project done that I had been thinking about for 3 years. I was very pleased and relieved my SS liked his stuff.

I agree with joeranger and deck star that folks seem willing to help with those not taken care of and, well, to hell with those who willfully didn't take care of their end.

Are all the folks who sent but not received been taken care of?

Doc

PS that badge is awesome, Protokev! Damn that phone is cool joeranger.

Last edited:
Still nothing here, so don't know if it is coming or not at this point.

Didn't get a chance to do anything last night but tonight I'll send PMs to everyone who hasn't received letting them know if their Santa is marked as shipped or not to help eliminate some of the worry.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back