1:1 Rosebox Shotgun Scratch Build

Buckle cut and ready to be shaped.

Buckle WIP 03.jpgBuckle WIP 04.jpgBuckle WIP 05.jpg

That is definitely coming along nicely! :)
Thanks again :)

Working on this really made me have mad respect for the craftsman who designed and built this gun almost 130 years ago. How were they able to make those precision cuts back then? Did they already have milling machine and such? Or was everything done manually?

Aaaaalmost done with the detailing work.

From this point on I'll be using single compound super fine filling putty to further refine the details.

WIP 47.jpgWIP 48.jpgWIP 49.jpg

The receiver and stock are basically done.

Receiver & Stock 14th Aug.jpg

I will keep on doing minor refining work on them as the build proceeds, including adding the insignia on both sides, but for now it's time to move on to making the lever.

WIP 53.jpg

The vibration from cutting the lever with a handheld jigsaw shook me to the bones, and gave me white knuckles...

Lever Cutting.jpg

...because I was cutting through 2 sheets of metal and two sheets of PVC.

WIP 59.jpg

Trying to get the trigger installed properly is not as easy as I initially envisioned it.

I was going to sandwich the 2 layers of PVC in between the metal ones but they'd melt as soon as the welding starts. And there'll be quite a bit of welding involved.

So I need to think of another way. For now the two metal layers are held between pieces of 5mm plywood to give them the correct space from each other.

WIP 60s.jpg

Test fitting the lever to the receiver & buttstock. Position & level looks good.

WIP 61s.jpg

You could epoxy glue the metal and the PVC together; I'm pretty sure both materials will bond together but if your unsure, just try it on some scrap and see what result you get.

You could epoxy glue the metal and the PVC together; I'm pretty sure both materials will bond together but if your unsure, just try it on some scrap and see what result you get.
Thanks for the input :)

I think I've come up with a better way of leaving a gap between the two metal lever without using PVC. I just need to find a way to do a precision cut before I can proceed(not having a bandsaw, or access to one, sucks big time :( )

Making the plate that covers the bottom of the receiver, which sits at the middle of the lever assembly.

Shaped it over the inner metal frame of the receiver with a sheet of metal.

WIP 62.jpg

Trimmed it to fit exactly inside the receiver, and cut a slot to accommodate the lever.

WIP 63.jpg

Checking the lever's alignment and position against the plate.

WIP 65.jpgWIP 64.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back