1:1 Rosebox Shotgun Scratch Build

SaberFreak

Sr Member
After years of failed attempts at getting even a plastic toy that looks something like a Winchester 1887 due to my country's insanely restrictive laws on anything gun-like, I've finally come to the conclusion that the only way to have one is to build one from scratch.

First, I need to know the dimensions of the shotgun. I know the Sideshow plaque is 31" x 11.5", so I scaled the gun using that measurement. And the length of the gun came to a hair short of 28".

If anyone can provide a more accurate measurement, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Then I started tracing the outline of the receiver and some of the other parts I will be fabricating out of PVC, MDF and wood.

Any suggestions and /or additional detail on any of the parts would be greatly appreciated before I go any further.

After years of failed attempts at getting even a plastic toy that looks something like a Winchester 1887 due to my country's insanely restrictive laws on anything gun-like, I've finally come to the conclusion that the only way to have one is to build one from scratch.

That sucks. Well I have one which you can check out here:
TERMINATOR 2 Uncle Bob costume build

I can get you any necessary measurements in both inches and millimeters :) if you want a photo or two or a crap load from any particular angle I can get you that too, high-res as in 6000x4000 ;) I'll get some done right away :D

That sucks. Well I have one which you can check out here:
TERMINATOR 2 Uncle Bob costume build

I can get you any necessary measurements in both inches and millimeters :) if you want a photo or two or a crap load from any particular angle I can get you that too, high-res as in 6000x4000 ;) I'll get some done right away :D
Thanks so much for the offer to help. Now I know I have a fighting chance to get this thing done right.

Would be great if you could help me on the following areas:

1) The exact length of the gun so I can adjust the size before I cut anything.

2) A top down shot of the gun from the front of the receiver to the end of the buttstock so that I can put together a diagram to ask for specific measurements.

3) The exact length and diameter of both barrels.

4) The exact length of the wood on the sides of the barrels.

Thanks in advance!

Here are some for now and I will load up the camera and do a lot more ;)

size1.jpg
Note that the lines aren't all completely straight because of lens distortion.

Looking forward to watching your build.

Spent the better part of the winter digging through the internets and back figuring off of images of real 1887/1901 guns to build one for my son that would cycle. Seeing the measurements on those images makes me happy that I was pretty dang close :)

Currently stuck on the lifters.

1887.jpg

meh, that's nothing :p

Here's some more ;)
Thanks! :thumbsup

It'll take a while to apply all the measurements to my drawings.

Will come back to you if I need any additional measurement(s).

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to watching your build.

Spent the better part of the winter digging through the internets and back figuring off of images of real 1887/1901 guns to build one for my son that would cycle. Seeing the measurements on those images makes me happy that I was pretty dang close :)
Can't wait to get started!

BTW would you be willing to share your AutoCAD file? Would sure help me cut down on time needed to draw some of the parts...

The wood was balsa, the barrel was EMT, the main housing was urethane foam, coated in fibreglass resin, then filled, sanded and shaped with fairing compound. Then everything was painted with tamiya paints.

the loop was made from 3 yellow plastic trowels found in the paint section of most home depots. I took a scroll saw to the handle loops, then stacked and glued them, then sanded with a belt sander.

i made many mistakes, but it was a good learning experience

The wood was balsa, the barrel was EMT, the main housing was urethane foam, coated in fibreglass resin, then filled, sanded and shaped with fairing compound. Then everything was painted with tamiya paints.

the loop was made from 3 yellow plastic trowels found in the paint section of most home depots. I took a scroll saw to the handle loops, then stacked and glued them, then sanded with a belt sander.

i made many mistakes, but it was a good learning experience
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of cutting the loop out of aluminum because I'm making one that can 'cycle' without actually ejecting anything, and I want it to be able to stand up to the force being exerted. But I'm also weary of the areas I need to cut away to allow those areas to clear the trigger as it goes up and down(see attached image).

I know the feeling. I had to settle for this toy gun. Made a few changes to make it look a bit like a Winchester 1887, made the display glass box and the "rose box"(the gun is not at all accurate but for the moment it'll do)
No way I would be able to build one from scratch. Good luck on your project!

gun1.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back