1:1 Rosebox Shotgun Scratch Build

Just the other day I got an email from a website selling airsofts that they finally got a couple 1887 in stock... I e-mailed them about it like 8 months ago :p if you want to go the easy route ;) hehe

Just the other day I got an email from a website selling airsofts that they finally got a couple 1887 in stock... I e-mailed them about it like 8 months ago :p if you want to go the easy route ;) hehe
:( Unfortunately the laws in my country prohibits the importing and owning of any kind of guns, which I mentioned when I started this thread:

After years of failed attempts at getting even a plastic toy that looks something like a Winchester 1887 due to my country's insanely restrictive laws on anything gun-like, I've finally come to the conclusion that the only way to have one is to build one from scratch..

The reason why I needed a band-saw was because I wanteded to make 2 cuts(as shown by the red line), so that I can slot the lever I've made into this piece of sheet metal, but without causing the piece of carefully formed sheet metal to twist or get bent out of shape in the process.

A handheld jigsaw or a shear will definitely not work.

WIP 66.jpg

After being stalled for days, I decided to try this using my angle grinder. But the regular cutting disc I was using is too thick, and would make the slit too wide.

So I scout around and found cheapo China made cutting disc that's of an acceptable thickness.

WIP 67.jpg

I would normally NOT use this kind of cutting disc because I fear they'd break and shatter easily due to how thin it is. But it's the only thing I can find that can make those cuts the way I want them.

And success!

WIP 68.jpg

And this is what I wanted to achieve.

WIP 71.jpgWIP 70.jpgWIP 69.jpg

Now to cut the other parts for the lever assembly and then weld everything together.

Still plugging away...decided to go in a slightly different direction since the last update.

Decided the earlier lever pieces aren't rigid enough, so I cut new, improved ones out of 1.5mm mild steel sheet.

I cut 2 layers at once to make sure the shape of both are identical.

Lever Cutting 02.jpg

AMAZING level of detail here and what a great gun to make. By the time this is done, it'll look better than my replica Winchester 'yellowboy' 1866. - As a note to anyone from the UK (Although I believe they do ship) battle orders stocks a great collection of replicas that IMO are pretty good quality, all wood and metal etc. Unfortunately they don't stock the Model 1887 :(

Haha unfortunately I don't think the blueprints for it exist in the public domain, as they're still owned by Winchester and they don't want people copying their guns, (even if they are 130 years old!) Not sure if these might be any help for you?

Haha unfortunately I don't think the blueprints for it exist in the public domain, as they're still owned by Winchester and they don't want people copying their guns, (even if they are 130 years old!) Not sure if these might be any help for you?
I have those. But unfortunately I have no idea how to decipher them to extract the measurements. But thanks anyway.

Also, it's waaaay too late at this stage for me to start over.

Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel of this build, I'm gonna start tackling the rosebox.

Anyone have accurate dimensions for the box?

Found a good, straight-on pic of the 1/6 scale rosebox and shotgun which I'm using to get the dimensions, and scale it to my own shotgun.

Rosebox.jpg

Bottom box will be 4 inch tall while the cover will be 2 inch tall.

Now to hunt for the correct gold-coloured cardboard used to make the box.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back