2001 Space Station WIP

HMMM... a mold would make sense if there was a repeating pattern or the same greeblies / details showed up over and over. Just a thought.

Amazing build! :)

Question for you people of the RPF: lighting that rim (remember: 240 windows) What would be the best system? Light bar? Or LE wire, or LED wire? The whole set-up should be battery powered (no electric plug) and "light weight" if possible. I'm going to try to cram it inside the main module (the one holding the lit rim).
Thanks in advance!

This is just me thinking out loud... I would probably go with 1 or 2 single LEDs for each group of 4 windows and then scatter single LEDs over the rest. But I wouldn't light each and every window. Having you given any thought to adding any interior details? It would be cool to see a teeny tiny Floyd! ;)

For ease, flexibility and simplicity LED strip lights would be my first choice. Flat LEDs on an adhesive backed tape with integral resistors, just solder on the power leads. Usually rated at 12volts I've found them to perform adequately from a 9 volt battery. However, given the size of the model and the numbers, it would be an expensive option.

Otherwise, I'd look at LEDs in parallel mounted on formers or sub frames.

Both model railway and dolls house suppliers have some useful stuff, for example dual rail copper tape which replaces wires, just stick it to a surface and you can add LEDs, lights etc wherever you want along the length of the tape.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes, LED strip lights were an option and I found such a strip (10 feet long) but it's powered with a electrical cord and I wonder if that could be transformed to battery power only

Because of the size of this and the amount of LEDs it would take to properly light it, I would imagine batteries not lasting very long and would require frequent changes. I agree with SofaKing in not lighting every window to indicate some separate rooms without any activity in them.

Looking at the pics from "The Making of Stanley Kubrick's 2001 A Space Odyssey" every window is lit but for 5 exactly.:( So, I have no choice than to light every one of them...
Oh, well, I'll do some test this week-end.

Joberg was complimenting vfx freaks painting skills which gave me an idea to populate jobergs space station. Let us know what you think ? Btw joberg if you want to paint the figures yourself let us know :), i would imagine the hero charachters you would like to do yourself.

Thats not a bad idea , how many do you need painting , we could tackle it as an rpf bulk paint 300 painting one figure and postage for one figure anywhere should cost nothing , multinational cooperation in your space station , im in for one tell me the scale and which type and colour scheme ,

Thanks guys for the offer...but I'll have to declined (too much work and madness has gone into building that model; no need to break the Internet with little people looking at the windows of that station:D)

Well, don't they have photoetched silhouettes for small scale things? Probably not 1/700, but 1/44? Maybe? Check your model shop in the naval and railroad sections, if you wish...

Thanks guys for the offer...but I'll have to declined (too much work and madness has gone into building that model; no need to break the Internet with little people looking at the windows of that station:D)
Still that would be an awesome idea! Looking great so far! Keep up that momentum!
Mark

Thanks Mark! I'm in the middle of house renovation right now, so no update and no work on the model (I'm also waiting for my quarter round for my windows). I'll cut some panels tomorrow (got to cut a lot of them:))

003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG Well, I'm slowly getting back to building the station. This is a dry fit to see if everything is o.k. I still have to finish this piece (bottom and the other side)...another 3 pieces and then it's going to be time to put the lights on!

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 153
Simply owe inspiring. Man that space station really got big! Fantastic job! It looks incredible! All most home, keep up the GREAT work.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back