2001 landing bay 1:72 scale WIP

Exactly! And the original poster doesn't help either:oops: Again: Orion is too big to accommodate another space ship in there.

View attachment 1777584
I'm a huge fan of the film, having absorbed many details and minutia surrounding it's filming/effects, and I can't recall ever seeing or hearing anything related to where the Aries docked to pick up Floyd.

You would think that there must have been a discussion about it - between Kubrick/Clarke and/or effects team? Someone?

It's as mysterious as the monolith. :unsure:

I'm a huge fan of the film, having absorbed many details and minutia surrounding it's filming/effects, and I can't recall ever seeing or hearing anything related to where the Aries docked to pick up Floyd.

You would think that there must have been a discussion about it - between Kubrick/Clarke and/or effects team? Someone?

It's as mysterious as the monolith. :unsure:
Yes, I don't know if such discussion arose, but I know that Kubrick cut 17 minutes after the first official showing...I betcha that the Orion going in the landing bay was one of those sequence. It doesn't add to the story and was a special effects shot showing what could be done.
As for the Lunar Shuttle; I think that the corridor between the 2 modules could've been the place to go and get some kind of gangway attaching to the ship. :unsure:

Yes, I don't know if such discussion arose, but I know that Kubrick cut 17 minutes after the first official showing...I betcha that the Orion going in the landing bay was one of those sequence. It doesn't add to the story and was a special effects shot showing what could be done.
As for the Lunar Shuttle; I think that the corridor between the 2 modules could've been the place to go and get some kind of gangway attaching to the ship. :unsure:
I'll go along with that!

Fantastic job on the landing bay and Orion by the way - great work!

Joberg,
Catching up on your project. Fantastic work ……once again.

I know you ‘re reticent about social media but there’s wonderful 2001: A Space Odyssey appreciation/ discussion group on facebook that would love to see this and your other beautiful modelwork.

………you might have a weak moment, cave in and join. You’d be celebrated there!.

Joberg,
Catching up on your project. Fantastic work ……once again.

I know you ‘re reticent about social media but there’s wonderful 2001: A Space Odyssey appreciation/ discussion group on facebook that would love to see this and your other beautiful modelwork.

………you might have a weak moment, cave in and join. You’d be celebrated there!.
I know...very tempting but I loathe Facebook. I guess I'll remain invisible to that group...unless some will take a look on the RPF;)

I read a post on what could have been the same FB page Pyramidrep references and someone on there discovered something hiding in plain sight that I'd never considered before.

2001Bay.jpg

Basically, the 'rooms' seem around the bay walls are re-dressed Discovery sets. The sides are alternate dressings of the centrifuge - you can see the curve of the floor and recognise some elements / furniture. The top/bottom ones are a re-dressed Pod Bay. I've highlighted the hexagonal door and the shape of the consoles.

I don't know whether that might (or even should) influence your work in those areas but I can't wait to see how this develops. :)

I read a post on what could have been the same FB page Pyramidrep references and someone on there discovered something hiding in plain sight that I'd never considered before.

View attachment 1800851

Basically, the 'rooms' seem around the bay walls are re-dressed Discovery sets. The sides are alternate dressings of the centrifuge - you can see the curve of the floor and recognise some elements / furniture. The top/bottom ones are a re-dressed Pod Bay. I've highlighted the hexagonal door and the shape of the consoles.

I don't know whether that might (or even should) influence your work in those areas but I can't wait to see how this develops. :)
Yep, saw those on the FB page. Recycling is the best way and yes, those are parts of the centrifuge set. The mystery in the left pic is that it seems filmed inside the centrifuge, while the other, at the center, seems like a new background wall + centrifuge.
As for my landing bay model, it's going to remain as is:D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back