2001 landing bay 1:72 scale WIP

That video is already awesome. I'm too dumb to notice any flaws, so I'm psyched to see future versions.

I keep threatening my teen-aged kids with a 2001 viewing, so this could be my motivation! Thanks, joberg.

Me: It's a reeeeally slow movie. You see an astronaut to do an EVA in real time. Lots of breathing. Not a lot of lasers or explosions.

Kids: ...

Me: And the DVD has an actual intermission!

Kids: What? What is that?

:lol:

That video is already awesome. I'm too dumb to notice any flaws, so I'm psyched to see future versions.

I keep threatening my teen-aged kids with a 2001 viewing, so this could be my motivation! Thanks, joberg.

Me: It's a reeeeally slow movie. You see an astronaut to do an EVA in real time. Lots of breathing. Not a lot of lasers or explosions.

Kids: ...

Me: And the DVD has an actual intermission!

Kids: What? What is that?

:lol:
Thanks Attirex; I know that 2001 is not a Gen Z kind of movie...but it's worth trying ;)(y)(y)

Well, here goes nothing:p Another bunch of shots; better set-up with 4 concave wheels (with ball bearings) on top of 2 tubes.
Less problems but still filming with the IPad. The video should be viewed without sound.:whistle:

Last edited:
Of course; Orion cannot pivot in the landing bay (like the MF in the DS)...so backward you go;)

View attachment 1774436
Now we know what that nose vent is for…that and pumping a plasma sheath for re-entry:

The array of little mirrors used to reflect light in TMP might also work here.

Space is a vacuum of course…but if a humidifier was on and a tiny pinhole light were turned on and off in an instant…that might look like a tiny thruster burn if you wash out that footage a bit on a CRT.

I’d want to film that with Super-8…pass it through a videotape with an actor in a suit waving…, then him walking past the “baycam” and into your control cabin with that being 4k…so it looks like the video acted up a bit.

Having the same figure go from lo-res to hi-res in a matter of moments really sells that you are in space.

No lens flares…but maybe harsh glare as a hot lamp moves behind the scene as the actor hand-holds into the set with an arc-light behind him.

Thanks for the feed back guys(y)(y)
Well done Joberg!

I thought you mentioned the purchase of a new camera was "pre-approved"?;)
Yes, it was...until real life stepped in and it became a 3Bs: "Back Burner Buy":( I would like to add another shot of some sort of a gangway going toward Orion's main door. We'll see.

Incredible work. To make the shot, did you ever consider making a rotating background and light source?

TazMan2000
Yes Taz...but, for the moment, I have no room to pull that practical effect. I'd make drawings/blueprints of the whole set-up:

The double rotating disc with the star punched through and backlit on the second disc (covered in alu foil and with independent lighting) the whole turning together and mounted on horses.
A hollow cylinder, at the center of the discs would be on the horses while a rod, holding the Orion, would slide through it and toward the static landing bay set.
At the edge of those disc, one light would rotate with the discs, mimicking the sun, revolving around the model.
As you can see; not an easy feast to pull with limited space/height:(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back