Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I might have posted this already, but...
People wearing clothes that make no sense for the climate they're in and feeling no effects.
In Swordfish, the hacker from Scandanavia who shows up LA obviouslly in summertime wearing a heavy leather jacket. Seriously, he's not hot in that? Id' burst into flames if I'd done that.
In the King Kong remake, she's walking around Manhattan in the middle of winter wearing a frilly thin dress and she's not the least bit cold?

Here's one... how about perfectly manicured lawns in an post apocalyptic world? What... you're gonna tell me there's a zombie gardener that goes around mowing and weeding everyone's grass instead of eating brains? I don't think so!!

People wearing clothes that make no sense for the climate they're in and feeling no effects.
In Swordfish, the hacker from Scandanavia who shows up LA obviouslly in summertime wearing a heavy leather jacket. Seriously, he's not hot in that? Id' burst into flames if I'd done that.
In the King Kong remake, she's walking around Manhattan in the middle of winter wearing a frilly thin dress and she's not the least bit cold?
You mean like Indiana Jones wearing a leather jacket in the tropical jungles of South America and the desert in north Africa? I'm sure it wasn't long before Harrison Ford had a few choice words for whoever thought that was a good idea. :lol

Don't forget the first AVP where she is in a tank top in the middle of the freakin' arctic! :lol

You mean like Indiana Jones wearing a leather jacket in the tropical jungles of South America and the desert in north Africa?

To be fair, it does get cold at night in North Africa.
Ernie Pyle in "Here Is Your War" said that at night the water in their canteens would freeze solid.
As far as the Amazon... I got nothin'.

Here's one... how about perfectly manicured lawns in an post apocalyptic world? What... you're gonna tell me there's a zombie gardener that goes around mowing and weeding everyone's grass instead of eating brains? I don't think so!!
Zombies+need+some+appreciation+how+come+no+one+appreciate+their_f7c7bf_4539163.jpg

To be fair, it does get cold at night in North Africa.
Ernie Pyle in "Here Is Your War" said that at night the water in their canteens would freeze solid.
Yeah, deserts can get awfully cold at night, I have shiverred in more than a couple myself.
Ironic you'd mention Ernie Pyle, as I'm generally accepted as a WW2 war correspondent historian (I got Billy Tucci to re-write the narrative in his SGT Rock series in 2010 to the eyes of a war correspondent, and he drew me into the book as a correspondent as well) and had totally forgotten that passage...
WarCoCosairBW800x533_zps1ff028f9.jpg

MVPAlee4_zps0014b0ca.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, deserts can get awfully cold at night, I have shiverred in more than a couple myself.

High deserts in particular. When I joined the Corps I went to 29 Palms (better known as The Stumps) during the winter and it got plenty cold, and windy too. Luckily for me my school didn't believe in early morning formations, much less morning PT so I didn't have to freeze my nuts off in the morning, just have a nice breakfast then march to class in formation all warm in my cammies and field jacket;; unlike the poor schmucks in comm school who were treated only a little better than recruits in boot camp and would have to endure many a cold morning wearing nothing more than a t-shirt and PT shorts.

To be fair, it does get cold at night in North Africa...
True, but in Raiders he did most of his "adventuring" during the day--in a leather jacket and a fur felt fedora with no venting. I can't argue the fact that it's an extremely iconic look for Indy, but in the real world it's not the most practical wardrobe for those climates.

As for the Amazon, I remember seeing Harrison Ford on Conan O'Brien's show two or three years ago, and he said something (with regards to Indiana Jones) to the effect of, "What kind of an idiot would run around in a rainforest wearing a heavy leather jacket?" He was trying to be funny, but he made sense.

Maybe Indy was doing his adventuring in North Africa during the winter. I don't know about North Africa but in the Stumps it gets pretty cold in the winter, even during the day and 29 Palms is most definitely in the desert, in fact, it's where the Marine Corps does most of its desert training as well as large scale combined arms exercises, but that has more to do with sheer amount of land available more than that it's a desert.

It isn't always that warm in LA, remember the A team, most of those filmed in LA, and Murdock had a leather jacket over a shirt, over a t shirt,

True, but in Raiders he did most of his "adventuring" during the day--in a leather jacket and a fur felt fedora with no venting. I can't argue the fact that it's an extremely iconic look for Indy, but in the real world it's not the most practical wardrobe for those climates.

Our GIs went to North Africa in full wools and field jackets - uncomfortably hot during the day, but not warm enough at night.
You wear your "kit" wherever you are, whatever you're doing, because you never know what may happen next and where you may find yourself.
"Be Prepared".

- - - Updated - - -

Ironic you'd mention Ernie Pyle, as I'm generally accepted as a WW2 war correspondent historian (I got Billy Tucci to re-write the narrative in his SGT Rock series in 2010 to the eyes of a war correspondent, and he drew me into the book as a correspondent as well) and had totally forgotten that passage...

Cool. I'm a bit of an amateur WWII historian myself.
I was following Billy Tucci on facebook for a while - damn good artist. I really liked what he was doing with Sgt Rock.
It's cool that you were involved. I've always wanted to do something like that myself.

It isn't always that warm in LA, remember the A team, most of those filmed in LA, and Murdock had a leather jacket over a shirt, over a t shirt,

No, not really, it's really only gets really warm during the summer although there can be the odd winter and spring days where it's unseasonably warm but you only get consistent 80+ weather day in, day out during the summer.

One thing I have to add to this particular thread is that there are some people who always dress completely inappropriate for the weather, in some cases it's because they're truly not bothered but in others it's for fashion. Out here in LA I've seen people wear big puffy jackets like you'd see being worn in the snow and/or beanies in the middle of summer. Of course these people are the exception and not the rule and I'm sure that they think they look really good, even if they're boiling. On the other end of the spectrum are people like Peter Jackson and the late Steve Irwin who'd you see always wearing shorts no matter where and what the weather is. I once saw a video of Steve Irwin in New York in the middle of winter, in the snow still wearing his trademark shorts although he did wear a heavy jacket.

Okay, this one is a little gross so BE WARNED..

The way vomit is portrayed in movies. It always either comes out with the force of a fire hose while the person just stands there not convulsing at all, or the person obviously already has a mouthful of fake vomit and he opens his mouth and it just plops out.

As a former heavy drinker I've done a lot of puking in my life and I don't think I've ever seen it done right in a movie. The Exorcist, Stand By Me, Kick-Ass 2--none of that stuff looks like someone really vomiting.....LOL not that I'm really wanting to see vomit...just sayin'......:wacko

Okay, this one is a little gross so BE WARNED..

The way vomit is portrayed in movies. It always either comes out with the force of a fire hose while the person just stands there not convulsing at all, or the person obviously already has a mouthful of fake vomit and he opens his mouth and it just plops out.

As a former heavy drinker I've done a lot of puking in my life and I don't think I've ever seen it done right in a movie. The Exorcist, Stand By Me, Kick-Ass 2--none of that stuff looks like someone really vomiting.....LOL not that I'm really wanting to see vomit...just sayin'......:wacko

Honestly... I really don't care much about that one... They could just squirt milk out their nose for all I care. The thought of actually witnessing on screen someone vomiting in a realistic manner just doesn't interest me whatsoever. I'm perfectly happy with them faking it with pea soup!

Last edited:
Here's a good one... gunfights in the movies. Why is it when you've got a good guy that can shoot the wings off a fly from 100 yards can't shoot the bad guy from 20 feet away and can never shoot anything but walls and windows when he's trapped and being shot at by a band of angry villian cronies?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...how 2014/WarCoCosairBW800x533_zps1ff028f9.jpg
View attachment 455632

Nice Graflex! I actually just gave away an old 4x5 Speed Graphic and a 3.25x4.25 to a photographer friend. I figured after years of collecting dust in my basement, I might as well give 'em to someone who could put them to use.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back