Your Favorite "YES!!" Moments (TV/Movies)

TheDoctor

Sr Member
It's kind of difficult to explain, but those moments that just get your adrenaline going and make you want to jump out of your seat and scream "YES!!"

Mine:
In the new Doctor Who when Amy brings The Doctor back when she says "Something old, something new, something borrowed.... And something blue!" as things start shaking, wind comes from nowhere and faintly you hear the Tardis engines as it materializes.

Another example:
In Next Generation's "Yesterday's Enterprise" when Picard is addressing the crew over the intercom and says "Let's make sure history never forgets the name... Enterprise."

Wish I was kidding when I say this, but the scene where Rachel gets blown up in Dark Knight. I HATED that character!

A more positive one? The Galactica jumping into New Caprica's atmosphere, deployimg her Vipers, then jumping out. A thing of beauty!

Bond's smile when the tires on his BMW re-inflate after driving over the spikes in 'Tomorrow Never Dies'.

When Darth Vader picks up the emperor and throws him down the shaft in ROTJ.

I just brought this up in the other thread, but true here too. Still remember sitting between my Mom and little brother and feeling the tension in the audience as everyone started thinking, "Is what we feel like is going to happen, actually going to happen?" Still wish I could re-live that moment for the first time.

Also, the first "Hostel". The audience was going insane from the chainsaw incident until the credits. I've never seen a horror movie where the "victim" achieves such a body count making his escape.

Doc poppin' Johnny Ringo!

When the "witch" gets launched in the phone booth in Waking Ned Devine!

The tanker demise in Duel!

The bridge jump in Smokey and the Bandit!

When the kids take the herd back in The Cowboys!

Doug

There was an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine where the Defiant was leading a Federation fleet against a Dominion fleet. The Feds weren't doing so well when all of the sudden, here come the Klingons! I think they might have even been diving out the sun to make it more dramatic.

(edit) Un-spoilered, since three other people mention it below. :lol

In new BSG, when they jump Galactica into New Caprica's atmosphere to lauch the fighters and rescue everyone.

Still has me right on the edge of my seat every time I watch it.

Last edited:
In the new Doctor Who when Amy brings The Doctor back when she says "Something old, something new, something borrowed.... And something blue!" as things start shaking, wind comes from nowhere and faintly you hear the Tardis engines as it materializes.

^^^ This. Though I had to explain it to those who watched it with me. lol

&

Vader's first mechanical breath in ROTS.

There's more, but these two jumped to mind when I read the thread title.

The power loader scene from Aliens, no doubt. Funny thing though, I'm showing this movie to my 19 year old sister and when Ripley comes out in the PL I think to myself "I bet the theater erupted into cheers and high fived each other when they saw this" and as soon as I think this my sister sarcasticly says "wow nice fight scene". Ugh!

Some really great ones listed above, and I feel the same way:) Another good one for me was at the end of Memento when Leonard shoots Teddy. I was so happy that he was no longer gonna be used and abused by that guy.

Oh, and I gotta also throw in the big reveal in the classic 80's "V The Final Battle" when Faye Grant rips the fake human skin off of the Surpreme Commander on live t.v.:)
Watch for the big reveal at 7:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQTGlO0Bsug

The whole film Batman Begins was a Yes!

After suffering horrible raped interpretations of the comic on screen for decades (Other then Mask of the Phantasm of course) and yes Burtons Batman-like film was junk to me, Begins was a near religious experience.
Went in very cautious, walked out stunned, how did this film even get made?

I think the moment I knew for sure they did their homework though was "Your not the devil, your practice!".

Another good one for me was at the end of Memento when Leonard shoots Teddy.

Don't you mean the beginning? ;)

(Love that film too!)

For me it's Kirk double-crossing Khan in WOK (any surprise here? :lol).

Khan starts to panic as his shields go down, Kirk whispers the order to "fire", the Enterprise opens up with her forward phasers, and Kirk gives a second order to fire (now loudy with full authority).

Still gives me goosebumps to this day. :thumbsup

Kevin

It's kind of difficult to explain, but those moments that just get your adrenaline going and make you want to jump out of your seat and scream "YES!!"

What you're talking about is called "good writing." ;)
Cinematic narratives that employ dramatic irony often set you up to have that big payoff "YES" moment. It's like a joke that's too long to be funny, and the "YES" moment is the punchline.

I, too, really loved the Doctor Who moment you mentioned. Another modern favorite of mine is the final resolutions in the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie. From the stabbing of Davy Jones' heart to Will literally giving Elizabeth his heart, in a box, I thought it was just an incredible ending to a three movie arc.

That being said, my biggest "YES" moment is the chase/reuniting scene in Chaplin's "The Kid." Gets me every time, and I've probably seen it a hundred times.

To add to this very nice list, I really did shout "YES!" when Han Solo came to Luke's rescue and knocked Vader out of the Death Star trench. I'm not sure, but I might've jumped out of my seat when the Death Star exploded.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back