Well, it looks like they made an updated version of Luke's ROTJ saber for TFA...

Brass and copper in the needed amount per saber isn't that more expensive than aluminium.
It's the added work to have separate parts made what's rise the price.

Since I cant swing the $100 I made my own 3D model that I'll print..
so here's my take based on this thread and that 1 picture

View attachment 614724View attachment 614723View attachment 614722

Edit: I should mention this is just the first try, I need to change some things, but I'll upload the stl's for everyone when Im a little happier with them.. unless thats not allowed of course

Did you make your model hollow or is it solid ? -- When I made my models, I did them hollow with a minimum 5mm wall thickness for printing,

Either way, your emitter head turned out great.

Oslm

Well after all of the discussions and debates, my ultimate choice for the final design would be this:

Final Choice.png

The addition of the bevel on the raised ring with a 1.5mm inside edge and a 3mm outer edge really makes the emitter stand out.

Overall, everyone's opinions have been really great and now I think I will look at getting this printed thru Shapeways. I have it
designed so that I can do it in 4 separate parts ( handle, mid section, emitter head and box slide cover) hopefully it wont be too much cost wise.

Later

Oslm

Well after all of the discussions and debates, my ultimate choice for the final design would be this:

View attachment 614939

The addition of the bevel on the raised ring with a 1.5mm inside edge and a 3mm outer edge really makes the emitter stand out.

Overall, everyone's opinions have been really great and now I think I will look at getting this printed thru Shapeways. I have it
designed so that I can do it in 4 separate parts ( handle, mid section, emitter head and box slide cover) hopefully it wont be too much cost wise.

Later

Oslm

I see you have the ring with holes only beveled halfway and then straightening out? Why? I'm pretty sure it's not that way on the prop. I'm pretty sure it's either all beveled or all flat. Either way, there is an ever so slightly raised lip just before the recessed hole. Check it out...

New_Luke_RotJ_Saber-Ring_With_Holes-Raised_Lip.jpg

Last edited:
you know I'm sitting hear reading all these posts and everyone's great input and examinations and I keep saying to myself. man I wish the blurays were clearer!! lol

I thought when the bluray was coming out all of our questions would be answered, the search continues!

I think that's what makes this hobby more fun, the researching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of this tells me we just arent ready to make an accurate version of this yet, One picture simply isnt enough to go on with something that hasnt been built from existing parts we can identify.

Just a friendly reminder... this is not a sales or interest thread, so let's please keep the sales/interest posts out of the thread. Thanks.

Threads outside of the Classifieds Forums are for research and sharing of information only, all interest/sales related information must be posted in the Classifieds Forums.

I see you have the ring with holes only beveled halfway and then straightening out? Why? I'm pretty sure it's not that way on the prop. I'm pretty sure it's either all beveled or all flat. Either way, there is an ever so slightly raised lip just before the recessed hole. Check it out...

View attachment 614953

While I do agree with you that it is either all flat or all beveled, I decided to try a halfway option to see how it would look. Now, while this design doesn't match the reference image in anyway I still think it gives it a very unique look.

The nice part of the model I've done is that I can switch out the emitter head very easily and as of now I'm up to 4 different emitter variations.

I have also checked out Shapeway's printing price for all 4 of my emitter variations and they all come within the $50 range.

Now that I have that info, this isn't going to help make my choice any easier.

Later

Oslm

I'm not seeing that as a raised lip at all.

looks like a reflection to me

I don't think it's a reflection because... what the heck is it a reflection of to look just that way? However it might not be a raised lip but instead may be a sunken lip, possibly on the same level as the main largest ring (though if sunken, it looks to me to be a hair taller than the main ring). *shrugs*

im afraid I'm going to miss the run. i dont have the free time like i use to, and my dang iPhone app doesn't alert me like it should when new threads or subscribed threads are posted. i remember how fast the first V2 run sold out.. it was just pure luck i made the first slot that time... fingers crossed.

as for the brass pieces that are going to be aluminum. anyone think rub & buff brass would suffice?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back