Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_update 10-31-11...

Re: Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_update Wormtail's Wand

Oh, yeah... Even if I've made a lot of Elder wands, I'm still pretty unsure of the runes... I just work with what I see from various screenshots. I haven't seen a 360-degree view of the whole rune carvings.

Re: Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_update Slughorn's Wand

I have been busy working, I will be sending out e-mails this week a lot of wands are finished, please be patient. I will be selling in the junk yard this week as well.
Here is a Professor Slughorn's Wand, protoype only, it still has a lot of improvements to be made. It is around 14" and made from Mahogany. The shaft has to have another bend in it and the coloring needs work, the shaft has to be a dark brown instead of black as well. (I will not take commissions for this one yet until I am happy with it first.)

6184373944_e43df54805_b.jpg
6184374100_6dd36e3cc1_b.jpg
6183854581_0a163c81f8_z.jpg

god I'm in love with the snape wand. (not as much as with snape himself....lol :p) however, it's a big pro you're using actual wood. I wanted to buy a resin replica but somehow I think that feels off. Wood has a special feel..

god I'm in love with the snape wand. (not as much as with snape himself....lol :p) however, it's a big pro you're using actual wood. I wanted to buy a resin replica but somehow I think that feels off. Wood has a special feel..

I've got 2 of Snape's wands, both in resin. The details are OK (except the handle edges...meh), but it just doesn't "feel" right...not enough weight.

Rob

I can understand. Isn't there a posibillity to make a mould of it, add a metal pin for strength & weight and then cast it? Maybe that's better. However...I'd love to have a wood one though. It's more authentic. I guess I might do some research in making one..

I have thought about doing that before but there is something about the ebony wood, extremely tough and feels warm and silky to the touch not cold and plasticky. I will be posting more this weekend here and in the junkyard.
-Jeff

Heir, you keep mentioning posting in the Junkyard but I have yet to be able to find ONE of your wand postings there. Can you link me?

Hey everybody! It’s been a while since you heard from me, but here are three new wands I’ve been working on:

Moody:
This is my version of Moody’s wand made out of holly and candle-tinted to darken the wood. I really wanted it to have that rough look like it had been through more than a few battles so I carved it completely by hand and I purposely didn’t sand a lot of the knife marks out of it. I think it gave it a cool effect, and even though Moody’s wand is really short compared to the others, it still feels like it would be really powerful when you hold it.

Kingsley Shacklebolt:
I haven’t seen anybody else make a replica of this wand yet. I just carved it a few days ago and I’m really happy with the way it turned out. It’s not completely 100% accurate, but I think this is another case where the wood and the wand were a perfect match. I’ve never seen this official replica in person, so my version of it is just based off of pictures and YouTube videos, but in all the sources I looked at, the wand had a different coloring from all the other wands. Up close, it looks like it’s just kind of a mix of various shades of brown, but in a weird way, when you look at it from a distance, those shades of brown almost seem to have a hint of purple to them as well. The wood I used for this wand is rosewood, and it also has the same purplish hue that the official replica seems to have. When I first took a look at this design, I had no idea what it was supposed to be. Some YouTubers claimed it looked like a heart or something, with veins and arteries winding their way to form a handle. But when I was carving it just this weekend, I looked up some more videos, and I think the general consensus now is that it’s actually an abstract bird. If you look at the handle closely, you can see the bird’s rough body and it’s smooth head bent down, and the two winding pieces that make up the middle of the handle are actually the bird’s legs, with it’s beak being right next to one of them. In addition, you can even see the two feet with three toes each. It’s just such a quirky little motif for a wand, and it fits so well in your hand. I like it a lot!

Death Eater (skull):
When I first saw the design of this wand, I wasn’t really the biggest fan. In fact, even now that I carved one for myself, it’s still not really one of my favorites. It’s sort of hard for me to explain, but I feel like all of the other wands’ designs are more subtle. I’m specifically talking about wands that are made to look like something else. Like how Kingsley’s is an abstract bird, and Slughorn’s vaguely resembles a slug, and even how Voldemort’s looks like the handle is made out of bone. In my mind, I group all those wands together because they took some type of animal or object, and stylized it, and then incorporated that stylized version into the design of a wand. For this Death Eater wand, it’s just a warped, shaft that’s topped with a plain human skull. To be fair, I carved this wand in one sitting from memory, and oddly enough, I think my skull looks strangely more anatomically correct than the official replica. But even so, I don’t really like this wand very much. Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:

Dcn5002- Love the texture on the Moody wand! Great job on the Shacklebolt wand as well, What kind of wood is that? One thing you might take into consideration is that your wands look to new and shiny. Too smooth and perfect looking, it doesn't look like they have been used enough, but they could look like that I guess right out of the box from Olivander's shop. Would like to see more of your work, keep going.

I am working on Fleur's Wand from Rosewood, and Hermione's Vine Wand made from Lignum Vitae. Keep checking in.(also working on orders!)
Here is Victor Krum's Wand made from Mahogany. Its arround 14" in length.
6215795683_bc92d67262_b.jpg

6215795677_bda6e323e6_z.jpg

Here is a fun project I did. Lucius Malfoy's Broken Wand is around 15" in length made from Ebony not Elm.
I had a spare piece of ebony (a cut off from another wand project), and decided to turn this to see if I could make this into his wand after watching DH part 1 in the beginning when Voldemort breaks it. I even put Dragon Heart Strings coming out of the end of the wand in fine tufts, I tried to mimic the look when Harry breaks the elder wand (in DH pt. 2) and you can see the tufts of Thestral hair coming out. I don't know how accurate it is but it was fun to do.
6215795673_1400d525fd_b.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_small update..

Something else as well..

I was watching DH part 1 frame by frame doing research, I know I'm a geek, at the end with Malfoy Manor, where Harry is wrestling a bunch of wands from Malfoy. At 2:08:44-45 I noticed that one of them was Wormtail's wand and you can see ,at least I think, that there is a hole or loop at the end of the wand handle. Someone else watch this and tell me if you see the same thing. Another clue to the Pettigrew Wand mystery. I am making another prototype of it as well, but I still love my ebony one that I made. I really like the design of this one, one of my favorites.

HeirofOlivander - Trying to make my wands look a little more aged/used is definitely something I'm always trying to improve. And oddly enough, the wands that actually look the best in that category (at least in my opinion) are the ones that I made a really long time ago. So I guess it really is just the normal wear and tear that happens from waving them around, dropping them a few times and letting them get clunked around a little. The very first time I tried Bellatrix's wand, I made it out of cherry, and it was perfectly smooth and polished, just like how I would imagine it looked when she bought it from Ollivander's, without any purposeful distressing or knife marks in it. It was beautiful in its own way, and it almost looked like a flower in a way. But it just didn't work for her character. So with the holly version I previously posted on here a few weeks ago, I really tried to make it look more grungey and rough, and it's interesting how those little details of being a little less careful of making all the wood cuts perfect can take something beautiful and really make it look sinister.

My version of Kingsley Shacklebolt's wand is made out of rosewood. It's funny because I bought the piece of wood, intending to use it to carve Fleur's wand, so it would be faithful to the books. But when I looked at the color of Fleur's wand, to me it just didn't seem like the piece of wood I had would have been a good match for the design, so I'm really anxious to see how yours turns out!

As for Pettigrew's wand, I looked at as many pictures of it as I could find, and i think it definitely does end in a wormy loop. But to me, it doesn't really look like there's a lot of space between the bump at the top of the handle and the actual loop. I actually bought a piece of ebony too to take a crack at a new version of his wand. I'm hoping that Noble releases his wand and some of the others (I'm DYING to see what Aberforth's looks like), bit it wouldn't surprise me if they released some new ones in the next couple months before Christmas. I ordered their Deluminator replica months ago, and they keep pushing back the ship date for it again and again, so I'm wondering if they maybe have some other projects going on there that they're racing to finish...

Last edited:

DCN5002 I've never really been a fan of the skull design on the wand either, it just seems a bit....weak as far as the design aspect goes. Your version of the Skull handled wand on the other hand is amazing, the skull handle looks like it was done very well (tons better than I can manage) and the shaft of the wand is probably the most interesting and amazingly carved. I love the wands that look rustic and natural, but dont look simply like a stick from the yard. The wands i've seen in this particular thread make me want to go home and fire up the lathe! Though i dont really have the eye for detail to make replica wands from wood it is amazing to see what so many people can do.

HeirofOllivander: I love your version of Lucius's wand as well, it's extremely difficult for me to get wood to actually appear to be metal, and you've done an amazing job. The only thing that I noticed was that in the movie Lucius's wand didnt have any exposed core, the snake on the handle was a metal decoration that Voldermort snapped off, the end that was left on the wand simply looked like a lathed peice of metal that was a little rough on the bottom. But i'm constantly blown away looking at what was made on this thread! You and DCN5002 have really got me in the wand-making mood. Hopefully i'll get my lathe tools sharpened so I can have a solid weekend of working time!

Last edited:

SamDWagster - just to clarify, and to ensure that credit goes where it belongs, Lucius's wand is actually the work of HeirofOlivander, not mine.

As for the skull wand, I completely agree with you. As much as I dislike the handle, I have to admit that the shaft has a really interesting shape to it. The wand is actually made from a branch of holly, which I thought would be perfect because the white wood would suit the while skull. The branch had one end that was fairly plain, but then the other had quite a few small twigs branching off of it, meaning that the wood inside likewise had several knots. So in carving this shaft, I purposely didn't try to carve into the knots to hide them. Instead I tried to carve around them and really accentuate them. So in the end, the shaft had all those little bumps and bulges along it. It almost looks like some kind of an insect leg or something, with a lot of little joints. But I'm glad you like it!

If you're a fellow woodcarver, you should absolutely start up your lathe and see what you come up with! Then you can post pictures on here so we can all see your work!

Last edited:

I'll be sure to this weekend! And sorry about the mix up! The computer at work has a bad habit of not pulling up the entire site, it looked like most of the wands were on your post. I really dont have the patience to handcarve wands, and more power to the wandmakers out there that do, but I'm more of an 'instant gratification' type of person. I have recently started playing around with the idea of a wooden shaft with a Polymer Clay handle, the results are nice, though nothing beats the feeling of a solid peice of wood. (no joke or pun intended lol) I'll take some pictures tomorrow after I get off/over the weekend and i'll post them up! Really looking forward to getting feedback from other wandmakers out there.

I suppose I should post my wands now, since I'm on a little break until my next batch.

These are already sold, so I wanted to show them off before I send them across the pond (to the U.K.).

These are solid wood. Various woods (some branches of unknown woods) and various stains and hand-rubbed wax finish.

Tonk's turned out darker than I wanted but I don't want to sand it anymore so it'll stay this way. As you can tell, the tip of the handle broke off, I used super glue which works fine, but the stain reveals the glued area.

I LOVE Fred's and don't want to part with it, I LOVE IT but I always remind myself that I don't NEED another wand, I have my two personal wands and that's all I need.

Lupin's I am very happy with, the only thing I dislike about it is that the shaft is slightly warped/bowed but it's not very noticeable.

As for Snape's I almost didn't post it since it's not wood. I cheat on my Snape wands, I use resin handles and just drill/set a wood shaft then stain/paint. Not really a challenge and true to the craft, but oh well!

In the works I have Moody's (like Noble's original version) and Luna's second wand so when those are done I'll post them.

Last edited:

Nice wands Ben, I would like to try my take on Fred's and Tonk's wands in the future.
I have started to list custom wands as well on my blog (link below).

Here are two more, (still working on Fluer's though):
Cedric Diggory's Wand made from Argentine Osage Orange and is approx. 14.5" in long.
6223959971_78a3c8874d_b.jpg

6223960153_8e2870cf11_z.jpg

Another Neville Longbottom's Wand (I was never really happy with the first ones I did) made from Cherry 13.5" long and with a matte finish. I'm not quite sure I like it, the semi gloss finish that I use pops the wood grain better. Keep checking in...
6223960477_495c4f16f5_b.jpg

6223960325_2830f5d199_z.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_a few more...

HeirofOllivander: I love the matte finish on the handle of Neville's wand, if you want a sublte shine on the wands that brings out the grain there are some ways to make wand polish, if you want to know how I make mine just shoot me a pm.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back