Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_update 10-31-11...

Re: Wood Harry Potter Wand Replicas_update Wormtail's Wand

Everyone thanks for looking/posting on my thread.

I have updated my flickr site with alot of new photos, checkem out and leave comments here please. I will be uploading more this weekend including Cedric Diggory's, James Potter, Victor Krum's, and Xenophilius Lovegood's to name a few.

On the workbench right now is Slughorn's Wand, Fluer Delacour, Lockhart's, and because I have had so many requests, I am carving a close as possible replica of Hermiones Vine wand from Lignum Vitae wood. Yes I bought a few noble collection wands to see what the hype was about. I was excited to receive my wands in the mail, and I was impressed by the paint jobs at least the ones I got, Hermiones and the Snatcher wand. Very realistic and they feel solid but still feel like plastic. I have also got to view someone elses large collection of Noble wands, and one thing I learned was that in the beginning I as trying to make them too perfect, sanding them down smooth trying to get rid of imperfections which was a mistake. With each wand I learn something new and want to keep moving forward.

I will be starting a blog soon showcasing my own designs/experiments as well, and I will post up link when its finished. I am also working trying to get everyone's orders done and out the door in a timely manner and replying to e-mails. I am trying to build stock to sell in the Junkyard as well. Please be patient.

Thanks!!
Jeff

Jeff....I'm blown away by your woodworking skills....simply outstanding! :thumbsup

BTW, what's the link to your Flikr page? And please...post a link to your new blog here when you start it, so we can keep up with your awesome work!

Rob

Question. In general how long are the handles and what size stock do you start with when turning?

Man these things are gorgeous! I'm not much of a potter guy myself, but even I can recognize some amazing craftsmanship...well done!

Draphin-

I rip my own pieces usually about 1"x1"x17" or you can buy spindle blanks online or at woodcraft stores that are 1.5"x1.5"x18".
Each wand replica is different a good source for wand info on youtube is a guy name "lucoded", do a earch for him he lists the wand lengths on his vids.
Hope that helps.

Working on Hermiones wand along with a bunch of orders right now. I have to do a Slughorn wand for someone and I have been studying dcn5002s wand, looks alot better than Nobles I think.

Great! Thanks for the info. I am going to go check him out. The Real reason I am asking is because I just got a deal with a guy up in MN. He and I are gonna swap Pen Blanks so we can each try working with some different woods than we are used to. I am in Texas and all I got here is Cedar and Oak. At least for free. The good news is he has never really worked with Cedar. I also have some Apple that I got form my Father when he lived up in South Dakota. Now I have never tried it but he seems Excited about that so I am cutting some up for him. The Point I am at is I don't want to make pens but I think if I could turn some nice unique Wand Handles and plug in some fun wand shafts then I could possible sell them at my monthly Craft Fair here in town. My only hold up right now is the Blanks I am getting are 3/4x3/4x5". I just hope this leaves me room to put some interesting curves into the pieces.

I am just curious... what kind of lathe's do you guys use for this? I would love to do something like this as a hobby but I don't know where to begin.

I am just curious... what kind of lathe's do you guys use for this? I would love to do something like this as a hobby but I don't know where to begin.

As a true "beginner" lathe, I would highly recommend the one I have. It's from Harbor Freight. It can only do up to 12 or 13 inches long, so not very big, but it has the advantage of costing only about $140, much cheaper than pretty much anything out there I've found. Still works great, variable speed. A great deal for the money!

Thanks! I will take a look at that. I have worked on a lathe before, so I am not completely new to it. But the only one I have worked on was a large (and very expensive looking) one at my old high school.

Hi, just FYI, I have a rather large Noble wand collection, if you need any pics I've got a REALLY good 10 megapixel DSLR and can do comparison shots, up close, whatever you need!

I'm also busy carving away! Stand by for more of my wands!

Last edited:

Busy working on orders and almost completed the Slughorn and Hermione wands.

Today I took the day off though, remembering and reflecting. God bless the friends and families of 9/11.
-Jeff

Hi, just FYI, I have a rather large Noble wand collection, if you need any pics I've got a REALLY good 10 megapixel DSLR and can do comparison shots, up close, whatever you need!

Do you have Snape's and Sirius' wands? I would really want to be able to see the details in the carvings of Snape's wand.

Do you have Snape's and Sirius' wands? I would really want to be able to see the details in the carvings of Snape's wand.

Same here, Luke....but throw in a pic or two of the Elder wand, if ya don't mind, especially of the white carvings....:thumbsup

Rob

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back