I could have done without the blinking Gorn, but I'm happy to finally put to rest the debate about where the Ion pod is. And the matte painting extentions were very well done.
I was okay with most of the ship shots and the mattes. The only really jarring shots to me were the wobbly as hell shuttlecraft takeoff/landings. They aren’t helicopters. The ONLY one that might work is Decker’s because he’s overriding all safety features.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has copied the (SW) laserdiscs from the early-mid 90s and offered them on bluray.

Or maybe they have and I'm clueless. But that wouldn't be an official release though. :)

I'm kind of surprised nobody has copied the (SW) laserdiscs from the early-mid 90s and offered them on bluray.

George already did it. It was a B-side deal in one of the DVD releases.

Downside: it still had the letterboxed aspect ratio for old TVs, and you cannot get the image to fill the screen on a modern TV/monitor.

Downside: it still had the letterboxed aspect ratio for old TVs, and you cannot get the image to fill the screen on a modern TV/monitor.
Yeah, I was so furious, that I got a refund on the whole set. :confused:

Well there is the zoom feature, I wonder if the newer TVs today do that smoother than what was available back then. May have to pull out my set and check.

If I remember correctly it was a laserdisc port onto dvd, hence the letterboxing.

It was a 4:3, not even anamorphic. The tubed HDTV I had just stretch the image horizontally with the black bars on the top/bottom. Zooming just cropped it, cutting off the sides.

Yes Laserdisc was higher res.

VHS had about 240 Horizontal lines of resolution. Laserdisc was... 425 lines of resolution.

Update: Laserdisc was an analog signal as well, while DVD/Bluray are digital signals. Laserdisc
could only fit about 60 minutes of video per side and had to be flipped mid-movie.

I believe DVD resolution is 480H and bluray is 720H?

Laserdisc storage capacity is about 3.2Gb of data
DVD is 8.5Gb and Bluray is about 50 gb. So larger capacity media combined with digital compression
gives you better quality and longer movies/more content.

Last edited:
I didn't have anything but a 25" CRT back then, so EVERY decent DVD movie was letterbox. :)
Most DVD's had the wide screen image anamorphically squeezed so the image would utilize the full 480 height of the format. The SW set had the image letterboxed on the disc, so the image was about half the height which reduced detail.

I've still got the laserdisc releases and a player.
Nice! Sadly, I sold mine like 20 years ago. Got the Laserdiscs from I think it was the Columbia House Laserdisc club?

Getting (kinda) back on topic, I don't know if Disney will ever re-release the original cut of the films. Just like the Holiday special, and despite "fan" demand, I doubt they'd do it. Maaaaybe offering it on D+ but I don't really see that either. The financial demand just Isn't there.

But I'd buy it on disc if it was offered. I mean, I've only purchased Star Wars (ANH) on different media like 8 times in my life. What's another $25. :D

My perfect version of Star Wars would have Jedi Rocks inserted into the Cantina Sequence, replacing the original band. Everything else should be the version of the film as originally presented in 1977.

The only misstep George executed, with that special edition improvement in ROTJ, was not including Jedi Rocks in all 3 OT films. This staggering omission constantly keeps me up, late at night. Why? Why? Why is there not Jedi Rocks smeared throughout the OT?

Oh, too much joy….

C85CE0C8-CA72-43C9-A2D9-59563AF6E01F.jpeg

…musical genius that is truly peerless.

FC0A4439-7A18-42B9-8C65-37AE5CEA3AD9.jpeg

Wouldn’t it have been cool if Han and Chewie had a radio in the Falcon cockpit, and the radio was always tuned into a station that played nothing but Jedi Rocks? That’s what the dialogue was missing in those cockpit scenes….beautiful music playing in the background to really make you feel that you were watching an exciting space adventure.

“Koo Née Tang!!

Na! Na! Na!

Ah lawa! Koo Née Tang!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey, everybody's got their perfect version of SW.

That's kinda the problem for Disney. The main audience for a de-specialized version (us) is so nitpicky that we'd probably rather download some pirated job anyway.

…musical genius that is truly peerless.

Yep... truly needed more of this... :lol:

jizzsinger.JPG

That's kinda the problem for Disney. The main audience for a de-specialized version (us) is so nitpicky that we'd probably rather download some pirated job anyway.
Plus, the younger generation who've never seen the "old" versions would probably be put off by the "dated" special effects and lack of CG Jabba.
And the fact Han Solo gunned down poor Greedo in cold blood like that. This ain't a Tarantino film! :D

Last edited:
I'm guessing not while George Lucas is still alive, and not any time soon after he isn't.
I have the DVD exclusive that has the original with new releases so I'm good. I have to watch on a small TV though, otherwise it looks grainy

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back