Toys Of Our Youth

I must've had two or three sets of those lawn darts. Never really thought of them as deadly, though. However, I was raised in a time where kids had sense enough to get out of the way of them and knew not to throw them at each other. Just seemed like common sense to us.

I must've had two or three sets of those lawn darts. Never really thought of them as deadly, though. However, I was raised in a time where kids had sense enough to get out of the way of them and knew not to throw them at each other. Just seemed like common sense to us.

Hahaha, you must not have grown up with an older sister!

My sister almost got stitches from a dirt clod lol I had friends who had BB gun fights with metal BBs and I thought they were freaking morons!

I'll never forget this one. Big Jim gorilla with moving arms and rock launcher. This toy was actual nail in the coffin for me in believing in Santa Claus. Before Christmas I found this hidden in my parents' closet. That's when I finally realized the fat jolly guy wasn't real. I actually opened it and played with it. Then put it back in the box, taped it back up, and put it back in it's hiding spot. Then had to act surprised on Christmas morning. Great toy, but it killed my childhood!!
-3924935802645711043.jpg

I'll never forget this one. Big Jim gorilla with moving arms and rock launcher. This toy was actual nail in the coffin for me in believing in Santa Claus. Before Christmas I found this hidden in my parents' closet. That's when I finally realized the fat jolly guy wasn't real. I actually opened it and played with it. Then put it back in the box, taped it back up, and put it back in it's hiding spot. Then had to act surprised on Christmas morning. Great toy, but it killed my childhood!!View attachment 998757

Same thing happened to me when I found this hidden in my parents wardrobe. I really wanted a Steve Austin action doll but instead I got this tracksuit on Christmas morning!! (stock photo) It was still a cool item at the time because I loved to dress up, but that was the end of Santa for me too! :(
That's what you get for snooping kids!!

Attachments

• SMDM.PNG
    SMDM.PNG
    723.6 KB · Views: 255
5c092881c747ed2c1600d22e9fde92ac.jpg

I think the best Christmas ever was when I got this one. This was all kinds of bad ass!!
gijoe-training-center.jpg

I think the next Christmas was this one. That tower was taller than me! So friggin' awesome! I kept the pieces to that tower all the way up to about 2002. Always figured they would be good for building something. Never could figure out what, though. I remember after we got this, my Dad actually set up a zip line from our treehouse down to Mom's clothes line pole. I bet I slid down that thing 10,000 times.

I think the next Christmas was this one. That tower was taller than me! So friggin' awesome! I kept the pieces to that tower all the way up to about 2002. Always figured they would be good for building something. Never could figure out what, though. I remember after we got this, my Dad actually set up a zip line from our treehouse down to Mom's clothes line pole. I bet I slid down that thing 10,000 times.

Never want to use thread for a zip line. Slices Joe fingers right off.

I'll never forget this one. Big Jim gorilla with moving arms and rock launcher. This toy was actual nail in the coffin for me in believing in Santa Claus. Before Christmas I found this hidden in my parents' closet. That's when I finally realized the fat jolly guy wasn't real. I actually opened it and played with it. Then put it back in the box, taped it back up, and put it back in it's hiding spot. Then had to act surprised on Christmas morning. Great toy, but it killed my childhood!!

After reading this thread, I immediately went to eBay and bought this :

HDPE bigjim.jpg

As a child I always wanted this figure, but my mom wouldn't let me have it . The argument was that if I wanted to have all the Star Wars line, we couldn't afford to buy toys from other lines.

I pretty much completely forgot about it, until recently when I started collecting figures again (I have been focusing on props and costumes since the last 15 years).

Need to find me another mannequin and the shirt is missing as well.

Thanks for bringing back memories.:)

I had this Snoopy and The Red Baron game as a kid. Seemed a lot cooler back then. You slid marbles down the chute and the other player would raise the hinged roof on the doghouse to try to catch them. Those little holes at the base were how you kept score. If the marble was caught, Snoopy got a point, if not, then the Red Baron got a point.

Remember these?

View attachment 719198

Never could afford the trailer though....

OH MY GOD!! I miss mine! I was lucky to have the whole setup. I pretty much destroyed mine. I was raised on Maui as a kid and always played with mine on the beach, the sand and salt water were'nt kind to mine. I remeber it took forever to program a simple path/course. and BOY, the joy of accomplishment! for two simple feet. AHHH the good old days. thanks for the memory.

So many memories looking through this thread, especially the Micronauts stuff like the Hornet Copter!

There is one thing I have been searching for but can never seem to find. Back in the 70's and 80's there was an Ice Cream Cone package where the foam insert looked like it could be a starship.

I remember making several starships and coloring the packing

It had a perfect place for a cockpit with two big engines on either side where the cones would be packed. For the life of me I search, but never find pics of one. IIRC at one point, the company realized the similarity and actually started including sticker or something so you could play with the package after eating the cones

This is a rough sketch of what I remember the foam tray insert looking like

20190906_121747.jpg

As to some of my favorites from the late 70's early 80's that I didn;t see mentioned...

The Star Wars Van Set (basically Start Wars take on the rev up Evil Kenevel toy)

The sparks were always the best part

Slide3.jpg

And Crossbows and Catapults

sears1983candc.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back