Toys Of Our Youth

Discussion in 'Collectibles' started by KrangPrime, Nov 24, 2016.

1. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

Some things i wonder if they still make that we no longer have....

-a Box with cutouts of shapes all over it. the top was tanish, the sides where greenish, and i think the pieces where blue or red. all 6 sides of the box had cut outs of shapes, and you had to put the correct shape in the correct hole. and the top lid came off to empty it.

- A Frog that opened it's mouth when you squeezed the plunger.

One of my favorite cups that had classic cartoons on it. I specifically remember mighty mouse and heckle and jeckle. it was white/tanish in color.

would love to see some pictures at least cause i can't find any. these toys would be late 70s, or early 80s.

2. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm afraid we might need more information from you on these pieces.

The frog item sounds like Fisher Price, but there were different versions. I recall one that hopped when you pushed the plunger, one that croaked and one that flipped the tongue out. But they all looked similar to this:
    IMG_7749.JPG

The shape toy was a cheap toy that many manufacturers produced. The main companies made the plastic one in the photos, but there were tons of knock off companies that made wood box ones. So without more details yours could have been made by anyone.
    IMG_7750.JPG
    IMG_7751.JPG

And the cup... was one a Mighty Mouse and one a Heckle and Jeckle, or were they both on the same glass?
    Was it glass? Plastic? Color of cup? Any details?

Eyes Only likes this.
  3. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

That frog looks about right :).

for the shape box, the second one looks more right. but the four sides where a darker green and the top was whiteish.

the kind of things that where kept forever in grandma's house thatyou thought would always be there but one day just vanished..

4. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this reminds me of toys you would see at the doctors office

n0regret5, George and Wes R like this.
  5. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

I've actually been trying to find this toy I had in either the late 80s or early 90s. I don't know waht it was from and can only remember the basics of it. It being a vehicle with these orangeish red guys. Maybe I can try and draw it best I can from memory and see if anyone knows what in the world the toy was.

KrangPrime likes this.
  6. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Well....this is kinda the toy....but I think if I really saw a pic, I'd find I'm so wrong in parts. But it was something like this I remember. I hate this.

[​IMG]

KrangPrime and Halliwax like this.
  7. JPH

JPH Sr Member

Remember a green slime toy? Then I think they came out with a purple version? I think it had fake worms in it. It came in a little plastic can with resealable lid

8. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

HA!! That's exactly what I thought when I saw it! Cheap * doctor's or dentist office toys!

Like that thing with the wire tubing where you would slide the beads and balls all around it. Usually covered in kid snot! :lol

9. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

YES!! LOL those things were in every office!! LOL

10. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

Sounds like Kerplunk :)

11. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Lol. They have one of those at the place we get our kid's haircuts. My son loves it. Even with tablets and all the other fancy stuff they have some things are always fun.

12. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Still are today. My kids doctor has that same thing in her waiting room.

Halliwax likes this.
  13. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

No, it wasn't Kerplunk. Kerplunk was an actual game. This doohickey seemed to really have no purpose other than just to slide those beads and crap around. I'm guessing it was supposed to be some kind of hand/eye coordination thing for young children.

Usually some version of this kind of thing. This looks like a newer version of it. The ones we had in the 70s seemed much more dangerous.
    Beaded-wooden-educational-toys-baby-hand-eye-coordination-exercise-1-3-Early-Learning_jpg_350x35.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  14. CT1138

CT1138 Sr Member

Some of my favorites were the good old Kenner Jurassic Park and The Lost World toys. Good times, good times. I still keep a handful of my collection in my closet out of sentimentality.

15. Lear60man

Lear60man Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The middle one was made by Tupperware back in the late 70's.....my mom had Tupperware parties. I got the crappy display toys.

I played 'burn it' with mine. It was a highly strategic game that involved lighter fluid, a match and the garbage can. Kind of a one time only thing game.

Moviefreak likes this.
  16. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

OMG Tupperware toys!!! My Mom sold that crap in the 70s also. I had all kinds of Tupperware toys!! Had totally forgotten about those!!

17. jarroth

jarroth Well-Known Member

made alot of toys myself, funnything is start making them again with my son and still have a blast with them.

one of these:

photo-rubberband-gun-light.png

alot of these:

armymen.jpg

and lots of rubber bands :D

18. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

[​IMG]

Axlotl and Eyes Only like this.
  19. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Does anyone remember Constructs from the 80's. They were like a cross between Lego and Erector sets. I was digging through my old stuff at my parent's yesterday and came across my old sets. Some of them were still assembled. This was my attempt to build the drop ship from Aliens! Lol.

IMG_5187.JPG

20. Eyes Only

Eyes Only Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

21. hutt

hutt New Member

I don't remember that but it reminded me of something similar. Robotix were produced in 1985/86 and sold by Milton Bradley (I just looked it up). They were similar to Lego only more advanced. There were controls and battery packs and you could build a robot dinosaur or a robotic vehicle with a claw to pick things up or any number of things. It was a pretty awesome toy system.

jwhtf7cd6mlv9vdxyle3.jpg

When I was looking this up just now I stumbled across this article from 2015. You can tell by the title that they praise it pretty highly : Bring Back Robotix, The Greatest Scifi Toys Of All Time.

QCWolf likes this.
  22. Scarecrow Joe

Scarecrow Joe Sr Member

Remember these?

[​IMG]

23. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Yeah I had some of those. One of the sets I had was the fourth set down on this page: http://retroramblings.com/construx/ McDonald's even had these as a Happy Meal toy at some point.

24. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I have the Robotix cartoon on dvd and I remember having the comic book at one point. Constructs were the go to christmas gift set even though they only had the 1 spaceship in 2 colors it seemed. How about those 2.00 lego sets where you'd get a simple vehicle and a figure. Mind blowing considering what they expect you to pay for legos now. There was a discount store with tons of toys here back in the mid 80s and they had a robot building set that you put c batteries in to make them move and they could be reconfigured. They were almost like Robotix knockoffs and had little figures and comic books in each either from DC or marvel. This place also had star trek 5 figures cheap and robotech stuff for next to nothing.

25. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Anyone have one of these? I so did. Had these big plastic VHS type box things you played it off. I don't even remember what it showed when looking in it, only just having it. fp460-whiteviewer-LB-B.jpg

26. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

I was looking for old toys I had as I remembered them. I seem to remember more that my brother had.
    This was mine. Its a lawn mower that shoots out bubbles.

fp2006-bcassity.jpg

My brother had this.

fpt14421-mn-3808.JPG

And also this, which took me a while to find since I didn't at all know what it was called.

raw-1257975938-595x417-resize.jpg

I still can't find the one toy I had.

Mike J. likes this.
  27. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

That's awesome. Constructs had motorized stuff as well. I still had some of the parts in my box. I had forgotten all about these things.

28. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Also, my boys recently discovered He-Man on Netflix so I dug out my old toys. They LOVED them. You guys have no idea how happy it makes me that my kids can play with literally the same toys I did when I was their age.

IMG_5145.JPG

29. Sluis Van Shipyards

I gave those away too... :lol The only toys I had left were LEGO and Playmobil. I gave away my OT SW toys, then sold my He Man, GI JOE, Transformers, Starcom, and pretty much anything else I had to feed my video game addiction when I was around 12.

30. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

At least it was to feed an addiction, i tore all my stuff apart to see how it worked including a B-Wing. I thought the space set i had was Playmobil but i couldn't find pics of it, i remember a base, a ufo, and maybe a ground vehicle and the figures were all the same some in red space suits and some in yellow ones.

31. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hah, I had one of those bubble mowers when I was a kid :D

32. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

My Dad said I also had this toy edger and would try and edge the sidewalk like he did and wore down the toy completely. Funny that thats what I do now for work.

Mike J. likes this.
  33. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think I used to follow behind my dad with my toy mower while he was mowing the yard for real. Pretty sure we have pictures of me doing that :)

34. Laspector

Laspector Sr Member

Yeah play-mowing was fun until I got about 9 years old and Dad put me to work with the real one. No where near as much fun!

Solos blaster and Wes R like this.
  35. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

My kids have the bubble mower. They look a little different now but it's still popular.

36. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

Dude you even had the zip cord that came with Orko?!?! How in gods name did you keep the toys in such good condition? This is an awesome post by the way. I love stuff like this.

matty matt likes this.
  37. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Lol. Good eye! Yeah, Orko was zippin' all around. I must have been a weird kid because I made sure not to lose the accessories. Most of the stuff was still there. We put batteries in the Attak Trak and it still worked.

38. Snikt

Snikt Sr Member

Would it be weird if I invited myself over and played with them!? I had so much fun with those toys as a kid, I would probably cry if I saw how good of shape you kept them in. Rock on matty matt!

matty matt likes this.
  39. Sluis Van Shipyards

This one: http://www.moderndesign.org/2010/01/toy-playmospace-playmobil-space.html

I had that, the single pod ship, and the smaller rolling "shuttle" thing.

40. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!Whooo hooo. I have tried just about every keyword you could possible think of. I remembered it had little figured, so I tried, "toys red orange figures" in google and that worked. This has been driving me crazy for months now. I was kinda close in the picture, as far as I could remember.
    I think a friend got this for me for one of my birthdays. I think I ended up selling it at a garage sale.
    Its called, Air Raiders.

ThunderhammerMIB1a.jpg

publiusr likes this.
  41. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Buy it loose but complete for $17 on eBay or $48 mint in the box on eBay. I just saw them listed.

42. Sluis Van Shipyards

I bought the base for those Air Raider toys to use with Star Com figures. I completely forgot what they were called too.

43. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

StarCom! Oh man, I forgot what they were called too. They had the magnets in their feet, right?

44. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

The heads of those figures look right but the ones i had were smaller with only the head able to move and the arms. It might have been a later version of it. I remember a toy 1911a that opened up into a mini base for a figure, they had a grenade too but they didn't last long due to angry parents. One thing i wish i'd gotten more of were the Legend of Zelda trophies they had when the first or second game came out. Each was Link fighting an enemy with a tag on the bottom of the base where you wrote down when you beat it in the game. They were on blowout at one point in the mid to late 80s and now they're 60.00 each.

45. Sluis Van Shipyards

Yeah that was their gimmicky thing. For some reason a lot of stuff that came out around then had a gimmick. Starcom had magnets, Air Raiders used air to shoot things, etc.

46. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

Oddly enough the Starcom cartoon wasn't that bad, i bought the entire series for like 7.00 on amazon. The gimmick isn't any worse than Captain Power, they had to make a deal with the toy company to get that one made. I wish the comic had lasted as long as the show. I know most of the shows were just half hour commercials for toys but they're still better than the trash on cartoon network, disney, and nick these days.

Solos blaster likes this.
  47. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

Well if you wanted your 1980's era toys to sell you had to give the kids something special!

Snikt likes this.
  48. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

i probably had about 80% of the he-man line up and of course we gave it away even the castle. i was glad when motu c started up. i could re collect.

i still have my atari 2600 and it works.

and my fisher price record player

we used to have the show and tell machine too.

if you can find video of one with the bert and ernie record :)

also our sesame street records

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  49. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Kinda wished I had saved my Sears stereo with the big dustcover over the turntable. I used to hide my paraphernalia in the speaker cabinets when I was younger. Lol!

50. Sluis Van Shipyards

Yeah it's always good to have a spot for those extra needles and 45 adapter!