'Timelord Emergency Messaging System' Doctor Who Season 6: 'The Doctor's Wife'

My 2.5" light cube arrived today but the cubico is still in transit (has been in transit on the same coast as me for 5 days now).
Looking at the 2.5" cube... it's very small. Smaller than the one in the toy and just small in general. But I think the 2.75" cube would be too big to have those cones inside (I don't think .125" tall cones with a base as wide as the pictures would still have that shape or definition - they'd be much more squat, you think?)
I've seen a number of 3.25" light cubes and .75" clear rubber feet and I personally feel this may be more accurate. Is there a chance we have the wrong cube and should be looking for a 4" photo frame?

Hmm, with a 3.25" light cube and 0.75" feet, the cube would be for 4.75" photos, with an exterior side length of approx. 4.75" + 2 * 3/8" = 5.5". That seem large, no?

The white cube in the toy is probably larger than 2.5" because its clear cube has such thin walls. I expect a 2.5" cube in that really would have looked even more wrong.

Here's a 2.5" light cube set on one of the faces of the photo cube. Looks just right to me:

And here is the 2.5" in the photo cube, though sitting directly on the lower inner face:

I agree with you that 2.75" is too big to use in the photo cube. It might work in a pinch, but to my eye 2.5" is better. Unfortunately the plastic and electronics in the 2.5" are of lower quality than the 2.75". What is your 2.5" like? Power switch (like mine) or button?

Last edited:
My cube has a power switch and a single color changing led. It looks very easy to replace. I'm going to try that tonight.

I guess I was a little confused about the math and dimensions on the cube. I thought an advertised 4" cube would actually be 4.5" x 4.5" or so, which would be a little big but not unreasonable. If it's 5.5" then yeah, that seems entirely too large.

I'm still waiting on my cube to arrive. I ordered it about 10 days ago from Amazon. A little annoyed at the expensive shipping now.

Got my cube in today. Didn't realize that it was held together by the magnets. Will have to figure out what type of glue to use to put it together. Without the inner cube, it won't hold together. But the inner cube must go to make the replica.

Last edited:
Liquid acrylic cement or UV cure adhesive would both work really well. UV cure is what I used to actually attach the head of my wand company sonic to the clear tube.

It basically looks the same, the UV cure is designed for gluing lenses, it's completely clear. The only difference now is that there isn't a 1 mm gap between the "ball joint" piece and the clear tube, and as a result the head doesn't wobble around like it used to.

Correct. The photo cube's inner cube is made from 1/8" thick white acrylic squares, and is glued together. It has embedded magnets that attract those in the clear faces of the photo cube. You could probably crack it apart at the seams if you wanted to. But the plastic seems not translucent enough to use for a light cube if that is what you are getting at (also there would be holes from the magnets, which are not visible in the original prop).

Photos in this post show the inner cube: http://www.therpf.com/f9/timelord-e...6-doctors-wife-115937/index3.html#post3002286

Well, I need to glue 5 sides together, I know how to make the light cube and how to hold the bottom on while still getting access to the inside. I am also thinking that I will use clear rod to hold the inner cube in instead of bump on so that it has a more solid hold.

Are you going to turn the acrylic rod into cones? That would be a good way to get the right size cones since we can't seem to find workable rubber feet/bump-ons.

Are you going to turn the acrylic rod into cones? That would be a good way to get the right size cones since we can't seem to find workable rubber feet/bump-ons.

That is my plan as of right now. For the long term replica I think it will be more stable. Not to mention that the pictures of the real prop, it looks like the inner glow cubes are tilted and leaning. I think acrylic rod will help keep it straight.

Just ordered my photo cube. Is there any chance that those cones could have been cut down to fit?

Also, going to order one of these and see how it looks. It's the right size (2.5"). But something I'm wondering: Is it possible that the information we had before (about the cube having been custom-made) wasn't entirely wrong, and was just garbled? The inner cube could have been the one that was custom made, since I can't find a single LED cube that's got a white LED, so what I'm thinking is the production team either built their own using a relatively simple circuit board (battery+resistor+led) or converted some of these over, and built the inner cubes themselves.

Either way, the LED cube will be here before my photo cube, so I'll let you guys know how it looks ASAP.

Last edited:
That's the same cube I bought. It has a single color changing LED inside that is very easy to remove and replace. It does not flicker with the white LED, though.

Considering how easy it is to modify, I can see why they would use an off the shelf item BUT I'm now confident they scratchbuilt the interior cube.

I also thought about cutting the feet. You'd have to cut it at the base, which would remove the adhesive part and im concerned that might make it too narrow.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back