Doctor Who “The Giggle” Neil Patrick Harris Playing Cards?

Metaluna mutant

Sr Member
Any playing card people out there? The latest Doctor Who episode “The Giggle” had Neil Patrick Harris character using some playing cards in a pivotal scene. I know NPH is a magician & big card person - he even has his own “NHP cards” deck from Theory 11.

Anyone know what was the deck used on screen? I know NPH would probably have had input into that prop decision on set. I suspect it was printed for the show as the King of Hearts looks suspiciously like NPH (his character is a god-like entity, so the King of Hearts would look like the character).

Heres two screen shots with a clear picture of the back and the only two card faces you see onscreen. Any ideas?

IMG_5574.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

They definitely had an antique look to them. Maybe printed on linen stock with no slick, modern finish. Thanks for pointing out the look of the King. I totally missed that, even on the rewatch.

There is a Playing Card Collectors group on Facebook. Maybe someone there will have an idea.

Also there are companies which will produce decks of playing cards to your own design. Many will let you design the backs, but some will also let you design your own fronts. I have done this a couple of times for my own game designs and some Star Wars Sabacc cards (only rectangular shaped).

Last edited:
I'd love to see someone flesh this out into an entire deck. Base some of the other character cards on other characters (Donna, Fourteen, Wilf, Rose, Kate, idk). I'd def pick up a set.

Having a look online, they seem to be based around vintage German playing cards....

I found this link here to a similarly designed pack, which is from the late 1800's....

Which definitely fits the theme of his character, but I have a feeling these were probably custom printed

BioDoctor900

I'd love to see someone flesh this out into an entire deck. Base some of the other character cards on other characters (Donna, Fourteen, Wilf, Rose, Kate, idk). I'd def pick up a set.
Theory 11 does a lot of licensed decks, even big names like Marvel, Disney, Harry POtter and The Beatles. I wish they'd pick up the Who license -- especially since Who is finally pushing to make itself a proper franchise and is no longer solely controlled by the BBC.

A Classic series deck and a Nuwho deck would be a great pair.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back