Studio Scale "Junk Mail" Robot [Classic Doctor Who]

PB Props

Here's a project that's been niggling away at the back of my mind for years now. Most of you won't know what I'm talking about, so let me explain.

DWGSG_cut.jpg

This rather duff (but cute) looking robot comes from a 1988 episode of Classic Doctor Who. A piece of junk mail, in robot form, manages to swerve the TARDIS' defences and land on board the ship.

On the approach, a model is used, but obviously in the studio, a full scale prop was employed. However, when it came to transmission, all the model footage was dropped... because it just wasn't very good for one reason or another. That said, despite the slightly naff design, I rather like it and so during a bout of illness, rather than rest, I decided to make a studio scale replica!

Here's a video:

And here's some pictures...

001_ Day 1_Base PARTS.jpg

We all have to start somewhere, drawings, plastic and various tools - all on the dining table, just to make myself that little bit extra popular at home.

005_Day 2_Inner structure.jpg

So, that plastic eventually starts to form into the base of the model. All fairly simple and quite straight forward.

006_Day 2_Base Assembled and Filled.jpg

Now I have the base sorted, I can start thinking about the rest of it. This is seemingly the most complicated part of the build, the rest will be a breeze. Apparently.

008_Day 3_Spine.jpg

This is the internal armature. Very straight forward. Actually, this is a quick mock up that I made from off cuts as I forgot to photograph what I actually did make before I installed it, but it looks like this - just neater!

009_Day 3_Body with internal spine.jpg

Not much to say here, it's just a ball on a base...

011_Weekend Prep Work_Jig with Parts.jpg

A quick jig to help line up and place parts.

015_Day 5_Head LED mounts_2.jpg

Top part of the head with "holders" made for the LEDS.

018_Day 5_Working on the head_Internal plate.jpg

Bottom of the head with a spacer for the wiring to run through.

021_Day 5_Communications dish assembly.jpg

Radar dish for the top. I wish there was more detail on it - but you have to build what was originally there...

023_Day 6_Head Magnets.jpg

The original one didn't do this, but I wanted to be able to gain access to the electrics that go inside - you know, for just in case.

019_Day 5_Basic electronics.jpg

The very technical LED set up - obviously only those with a degree in electrical engineering will understand what's going on here.

013_Day 5_Solar Panels.jpg

The solar panels, just a bunch of plates stuck together. Nothing fancy.

027_Day 6_Legs.jpg

Now the robot's highly pointless legs are fitted. No detailing required here...

028_Last elements attached.jpg

All stacked up and waiting for paint - once those very prone to breaking legs are welded into place.

029_Day 6_Body priming.jpg

I don't think I need to tell you that this has been primed. The clues are all there for everyone to see!

031_Day 6_Body silver.jpg

Basic pass of space aged silver.

033_Day 6_Airbrushing.jpg

First pass of airbrushed weathering, carding and shading. Loads of filth was added later, but this was the first time that I got to see what this will ultimately look like. Also, I'm employing the mounting system here, so for the first time it gets to "fly" - the ignominy of having a stick up its bum!

034_Day 6_Fixing the eyes.jpg

Adding the LED eye lens covers. Suddenly it has character now. Or at least I think it has!

035_Day 6_Completed.jpg

And pretty much done. I'd like to add in some glossy oil stains to this, but I have to go and buy some varnish first. As it stands, it looks finished. It matches the original as best as I can make it, though I did deviate from the original slightly - those panel details were originally sticky labels and looked like sticky labels, so I changed it to this - which despite my internal protestations about absolute accuracy, I feel this just looks and reads better.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Cool project.
I only saw the Tom Baker WHO so am not familiar with this piece.
Ah, you are clearly an individual with great taste, as there was only one Doctor - and that is Tom Baker... I have several items on my list from his era, but I want to get some of the lesser things out of the way first. Thanks for looking!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back