Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I am sick of all the films that have characters with illnesses that either end with:
(A) Character dying
(B) Character being miraculously healed
(C) The character...*gasp* never had the illness after all! Woah! Plot Twist!

But, seriously, as someone who has chronic illnesses... Some people have health problems. Some people have health problems that they just need to live with for all their life. It doesn't always need to be solved somehow.

"Re-sets". Movies which go back and prevent the whole plot of the original movie(s). Terminator, Star Trek, and the X-men
Hate them. I hate them so.
giphy.gif

"Re-sets". Movies which go back and prevent the whole plot of the original movie(s). Terminator, Star Trek, and the X-men
Hate them. I hate them so.

I don't hate the idea per se. But I agree it's overused now.

Terminator has just gotten ridiculous. Basically every single work in that franchise after 1991 has been unrelated. All the movies, the TV show, and the studio ride. Cameron's new flick with be the 4th reboot movie in a row.

A few others that I've noticed lately:
1. Large groups of people who all look like a bus of catalog models got lost somewhere and they took up another profession. Lots of medical shows are like this. I can't even see previews for the show, "Quantico" without snickering at how ridiculous all the actors look. I've worked with the government in the military and have seen some of the type of people in those kinds of shows. None of them looked like that. It's impossible to take that show seriously when you see they casted only from the actors' face cards!
2. The female who can take on anyone and win, even when she's a quarter of their size and doesn't seem to be fighting any better than her opponent. Sure, I'm all for equal opportunities, but I'm supposed to take it seriously that a trained football-player-looking bad guy just got his head handed to him by a female who is the size of a 7-year old boy (and also looks like she stepped off the front cover of a J Crew catalog)? I once saw a woman take on a friend of mine who'd been an Army Ranger, as she thought her Krav Maga skills would see her through and he was simply tired of the all the trash-talking she'd been giving him for almost a year. He made her promise to not hold a grudge after he mopped the floor with her because once he got rolling, he wasn't going to hold back. She laughed, sure that he'd eat those words. When the dust settled moments later (the fight happened so fast, I almost missed it even though I was watching it happen), I don't think he'd even broken a sweat. She had to go to the ER, but her ego was the most seriously injured part (yep, she's holding it against him regardless of the promise not to)
3. Military types, pontificating about "warrior culture" and silly romanticisms like that. Hollywood loves to have military types talk like that because I guess civilians think they do. Even the SEAL movie, "Act of Valor" surprisingly had lots of that. I worked with lots of different types in the Army; Airborne, Rangers, SF, light fighters and heavy mech. I never heard any of them talk like that. I'd have laughed if any of them had (except to any women they were trying to pick up)

Our onscreen heroes using a computer and typing so fast the keyboard should burst into flames. What's worse is they never even look at the keyboard! Almost as if EVERYBODY took typing in high school and mastered the keyboard layout.

I can't type to save my life. I've worn out and replaced the "Backspace" button faster than any other key! ;)

It's even worse if the people responsible for continuity aren't doing their jobs and the length of the stubble changes from scene to scene. If the movie is supposed to take place over the course of, say, seven days and the scruffy male hero's facial hair gets longer as the movie progresses, fine. But when it changes from short to longer to short again, it's pretty clear that someone wasn't paying attention.

Still, I'd rather see that than a poorly applied fake beard or mustache or an obvious wig. This is especially true if the actor has actually grown facial hair or grown his hair out for the role, shaved it/cut it before the movie was completed, then had to have the fake hair/wig attached for reshoots. Most people don't notice things like this, but I find it distracting to the point that it often takes me out of the movie.
An example is Tom Cruise in Collateral. The whole film takes course over one night but the length of Cruise's stubble can change length from scene to scene.
Cruise.jpg

Our onscreen heroes using a computer and typing so fast the keyboard should burst into flames. What's worse is they never even look at the keyboard! Almost as if EVERYBODY took typing in high school and mastered the keyboard layout.

I can't type to save my life. I've worn out and replaced the "Backspace" button faster than any other key! ;)

One of the worst has to be James Doohan in ST:IV putting in the formula for transparent aluminum.

3. Military types, pontificating about "warrior culture" and silly romanticisms like that. Hollywood loves to have military types talk like that because I guess civilians think they do. Even the SEAL movie, "Act of Valor" surprisingly had lots of that. I worked with lots of different types in the Army; Airborne, Rangers, SF, light fighters and heavy mech. I never heard any of them talk like that. I'd have laughed if any of them had (except to any women they were trying to pick up)

Don't forget about your basic grunt, grunts love to talk like that when they think that POGs are around, grunts love talking tough about how badass they are and how anybody that doesn't have a grunt MOS is just a POGm even if they are also combat arms. And even within the grunts, they believe that only those that have a basic rifleman MOS is truly a grunt; heavy weapons, assault man, etc. none of those may be POGs but at the same time, they're not true grunts either.

Movies that sell because of their cast, unnecessary romance stuff, Disney movie deaths (apparently, falling is the only way to die in a Disney movie), generic web search engines no one has ever heard of, explosions that happen for no possible reason, alien invasions always happen in London, New York City, major cities, and the list goes on and on...
Joosh, rodneyfaile, Fiction Engineered, I second yours.

To be fair, the generic web browser/search engine thing almost certainly has a lot to do with the way product placements work. Could the film's producers use, say, Google, in their film? Sure, but they would probably have to securre permission from Google first, which would take time, and on top of that, Google would probably ask the producers for money for the right to use Google in their film. So at the end of they day, it's just cheaper and easier to make up their own search engine/browser rather than going with an extant one.

As for the stubble thing, when Miami Vice the show was popular, Don Johnson's stubble was, too. They even made electric shaver heads that were adjusted to a specific stubble type. I never understood why Hollywood stylists didn't buy truckloads of those.
One of the worst has to be James Doohan in ST:IV putting in the formula for transparent aluminum.
That was especially odd considering that Scotty might have read about keyboards once as a Starfleet cadet but clearly never would have used one before then. Kind of like someone being handed a mechanical typewriter today. Yeah, they can use one, but it's not going to be fast!
Don't forget about your basic grunt, grunts love to talk like that when they think that POGs are around, grunts love talking tough about how badass they are and how anybody that doesn't have a grunt MOS is just a POGm even if they are also combat arms. And even within the grunts, they believe that only those that have a basic rifleman MOS is truly a grunt; heavy weapons, assault man, etc. none of those may be POGs but at the same time, they're not true grunts either.
I never heard that once from any of them (mind you, I was Army, so maybe the Marines do that?) except to girls they were trying (and usually, failing) to pick up at bars.

Speaking of grunts... Bad guys that always have their "muscle" next to and surrounding them during a negotiation or tense situation. The muscle usually breathes heavy, stares the Hero or associate up and down and gives them a death look...

What's worse is how the Hero always, during a fight scene, walks through them as if they weren't even there. UGH

Last edited:

What is a POG and a MOS?

I never heard that once from any of them (mind you, I was Army, so maybe the Marines do that?) except to girls they were trying (and usually, failing) to pick up at bars.

To be honest, it's more of an online thing, I see it on various forums and comments sections all over the place. Online, grunts are typically quick to point to let everybody know that they're a grunt and often times will proceed to tell everybody how they're so much greater than anybody that's not a grunt.

What is a POG and a MOS?

A POG is a slang (often derogratory) term used to refer to people who are not combat arms, and by grunts for anybody who's not a grunt. It's pronounced pohg (rhymes with rogue) and is sometimes spelld pogue or pouge; some people feel that POG is an acronym for Person(s) Other than Grunt(s) while others don't agree, there's no concensus on how to properly spell the term of where it comes from.

MOS stands for Military Occupational Specialy which is mlitary shorthand for your job. Each branch calls it something different (MOS happens to be the Marine Corps term and possibly Army as well) and uses a different naming system/code for each MOS. For instance, when I was in I was a 7242 (Air Support Operations Operator) and officers in this field would be 7208s. The infantry field are 0300s with the last 2 digits in the code designating what type of infantryman they are with 0311 being a basic grunt.

The Army, on the other hand, uses a combination of lettets and numbers in their MOS coding with a basic grunt being an 11B and a different letter after the 11 would indicate a different specialty within the infantry beyond being just a riflefman.

To be honest, it's more of an online thing, I see it on various forums and comments sections all over the place. Online, grunts are typically quick to point to let everybody know that they're a grunt and often times will proceed to tell everybody how they're so much greater than anybody that's not a grunt.
Yeah, I know the pogue/grunt thing very well. I was a REMF; Ordnance in heavy mech units.
I was referring that that whole "warrior culture" thing. I have never heard anyone pontificating about that flowery nonsense with other people in uniform before.

Ha! When I took the typing class in high school, way back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, it was completely voluntary. In my class I was one of three male students among 20-30 female students, and by the end of the first week I was the only male left in the class. I took it because I thought it would be an "easy A", and it was (for me, anyway), but it turned out to be the only class I took in high school that was useful in my post-school working life.

...Kind of like someone being handed a mechanical typewriter today. Yeah, they can use one, but it's not going to be fast!...
Especially when they get two or three "type arms" jammed together and can't figure out what went wrong or how to fix it. :D

Ha! When I took the typing class in high school, way back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, it was completely voluntary. In my class I was one of three male students among 20-30 female students, and by the end of the first week I was the only male left in the class. I took it because I thought it would be an "easy A", and it was (for me, anyway), but it turned out to be the only class I took in high school that was useful in my post-school working life.

Especially when they get two or three "type arms" jammed together and can't figure out what went wrong or how to fix it. :D

When I was in high school, a long time ago in someplace far off, we had the typewriters with the mechanical arms and I'm really surprised any of them lasted through the whole year with they way people banged on them. I learned the hunt and peck method and never really learned the layout until I became a programmer and finally learned the layout of the keyboards.

I know this going off in a tangent, but I collect WW2 war correspondent items and own several pre-war typewriters (some of which work as the day they were made).

38792142212_7d5f08b486_o.jpg

I've given lectures to school kids, showing them off and how they work. When I tell them that the 'shirt' and 'tab' (which meant an actual metal tab on a track on the back of the carriage you had to lift up and place where you wanted it) buttons refer to mechanical devices on old manual typewriters (and how those worked), it blows their minds.

Last edited:
People in sci fi movies needing to disable a door going to control panel and piping it open with there bare hands and pulling out all the wires to shut it down. First of all you would need at least 5 minutes and a screwdriver to get that open and why would u just break the door sometimes they do it on there own ship and I must ask why that’s going to cost tons of money to fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back