The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

what do you guy's think is gonna be the resolution "ceiling" for V.R. and t.v's?? If there gonna make 8K res games and were still buying/saving for 4K t.v's.... what's the limit for our ACTUAL physical vision limitation? I know they have done studies as to our "visual processing speed" limit's, and it seem's we are going to reach our "limit's" very very soon. :confused: I mean I doubt my 7 year old son is gonna have 32K t.v.'s when he is my age.... right? you might as well be looking out the window at 8K??

unless something happens to stimey or stall VR sets, we really do seem to be headed for a "ready Player one" sort of set up. You'll end up with both head sets and TVs having the same "maxed" resolution (it'll even go beyond the resolution and refresh of what the human eye can see, because enough people will pay for **** that doesn't matter).

TVs will make it there as a ubiquitous product first, even if the gaming industry and industry in general develop and implement "perfect" resolution head sets before "perfect" res TV's go to market. I imagine the headsets will eventually become as small and light (or smaller and lighter) than those depicted in RP1, and you'll be able to go through your day with the thing on the whole time, seeing the screen and the world around you (My buddy was already doing that with my VIVE this past weekend).

People will use their preference; likely have both. You'll likely use screens to watch things with family, or with/for young children that can't strap on the VR, no matter how light it is (at least there will be warning labels about how you shouldn't; we'll end up with at least a few kids that have heads shaped like hour glasses from being made to wear goggles with soft skulls). It'll be the features they offer that will differentiate them.

They'll likely both hook to whatever the equivalent of your cell phone is; though this is the bit I'm least certain of. who knows when or if wireless will ever catch up to or exceed hard line connections. I'm skeptical that wireless/cell speeds will ever beat a hard line connection, but I'm not skeptical that wireless/cellphones will become fast enough that most consumers won't have a need for the increased speed of "cable". Only those of us trying to play Quake, or that have competitive MMO addictions will care. We'll shill out for the best connections we can, then blame our inability to survive a raid on the fact that our healer is a friggin scrub, who's still using his cell plan and a friggin flat screen to play. Come on man, kick him out and get a real gamer!

That'll be the way it goes, short of developing direct sensory input into the brain before all that happens, but I doubt it :p. They're still mostly working on getting info out to control stuff

And may god have mercy on our souls.

Last edited:
I actually read and liked that entire post bud (y) but at what point does the UHD 8K ''resolution" max out at? I personally think they will start to develope soon "true" edge less T.V.'S and curved OUTWARD screen's instead of inward. then they can start making a "true" 3D television with no glasses... maybe? :whistle:

ROBOCOP, GTA 5

I actually read and liked that entire post bud (y) but at what point does the UHD 8K ''resolution" max out at? I personally think they will start to develope soon "true" edge less T.V.'S and curved OUTWARD screen's instead of inward. then they can start making a "true" 3D television with no glasses... maybe? :whistle:

Aspect ratio and exact resolution:
1.77:1 - (16:9) 8192x4608 (most monitors/TV's)
1.85:1 - 8192x4428
1.90:1 (Dragon VV and 8K Helium Full Frame) - 8192x4320
2:1 - 8192x4096
2.35:1 - 8192x3486
2.37:1 - (RED 8K Wide) 8192x3456
2.39:1 - (often called 2.40) 8192x3428
2.40:1 - 8192x3413
2.44:1 - 8192x3357

So, I FINALLY upgraded my computer after about 10 years, and now am able to play a ton of games I couldn't play previously. The new rig also came with free copies of a few games, so I'm getting a chance to try out a bunch of new games. So far, it's been...a mixed bag. I'm actually coming to the conclusion that a lot of AAA developers are kind of losing their development chops, and that while games are increasingly visually stunning, the actual gameplay is stagnating. It feels like the industry is poised for a leap, but nobody's leaping.

Battlefield V

I've put in probably 2-3 hours online with this game and I have to say...it's incredibly underwhelming. Oh, sure, it's gorgeous, but the actual gameplay just feels...I dunno...thin and like it's all been done before. Prior to getting the new computer, I'd been playing primarily on XB1, and the last DICE game I played there was Star Wars Battlefront 2, which has rather disappointed me. I'm getting the sense that DICE is losing its ability to effectively develop and manage genuinely good games. Battlefront 2 has a terrific core to its gameplay, but it's languished in terms of actually expanding upon that core. Initially this was due to the loot box fiasco, which some here may recall, and the fact that they'd built their business model on a revenue stream that subsequently disappeared just before launch. That meant no new money coming in for additional development, and they had to shift their revenue source to purchasable skins (although those have been slow to roll out). Only recently has that game seen any significant gameplay content releases, but those have been rather spare.

I'm getting the sense that this same development problem plagued Battlefield V (which is why I brought it up in the first place). So far, most of BFV seems focused around infantry and infantry alone. Most of the maps I've played haven't really featured the kind of large-scale infantry-plus-vehicles gameplay I'd gotten used to with the franchise. I played BF1942, BF2, BF3, BFBC1, BFBC2, and all of those games felt a lot more varied in gameplay than this one does. From what I gather, the game only has about 8 maps, two factions, and a bunch of uniforms people aren't that interested in.

I actually uninstalled it last night, given that the whole thing just feels...I dunno...pretty bland. It doesn't feel like a Battlefield game to me. Maybe it gets better as you play, but (1) with only 8 maps, I expect I'd get bored quickly, and (2) I'm REALLY over grinding to unlock stuff. Seriously, the unlock model is just mind-numbingly stupid at this point. I get that some players who know no better love the hamster wheel aspect of it, but games should be more than just Skinner boxes.

COD: Black Ops 4

I've never really been a COD fan, at least online. I have no real desire to spend my time being berated by adolescents. But, I usually could reasonably enjoy the paint-by-numbers single player campaigns. I tried this game for maybe an hour or so, but it doesn't seem to have any kind of single player component beyond some "training missions," and the gameplay setting just doesn't seem to have a point to it so far. Maybe playing more of the training makes the setting clearer and more interesting, but it just seems like generic half-modern/half-future setting where random dudes shoot each other. Meh.

Destiny 2

I got this for free from Battle.net, after getting Overwatch as part of a Humble Monthly bundle. It's...eh...fine. As a generic FPS/RPG hybrid it's ok. I mostly game alone in it, and the single-player campaign has felt fairly dull. I gather its more fun playing alongside folks? I tried some multiplayer PvP, but couldn't get into it. Again, gorgeous game, but the actual gameplay just felt ho-hum. I can't seem to get myself into the lore, and the "story" itself doesn't really grab me, although it takes itself quite seriously. However, I played it for probably about 20 hours or so, so I feel a lot better about my sense of it. It's fun enough, just doesn't really leave me feeling like "Man, I can't wait to get home and play that game."

Anthem

I just fired this up last night. I played maybe 5 minutes. So far, it feels like a Destiny clone. Meh. I may give it more of a try, but I have the distinct sense that the single player game is going to be just as anemic as Destiny 2's was. Maybe there's more lurking under the surface, but I'm not sure.

The above four games were all free for me. I'm glad I haven't paid for any of them. I'd be pretty irritated if I had. But even so, it astounds me that free AAA games are so far not really able to hold my interest, in spite of all of them having absolutely gorgeous visuals. The core gameplay just feels bland. I'll give Anthem more of a try, but a Destiny-where-you-fly-like-Iron-Man game just seems really uninspired. Can anyone comment on the above games and whether my read of them is accurate? I'd like to enjoy them, but none of them are really jumping out at me.

Overwatch

I got this one, as I mentioned, as part of a Humble Monthly. It was fun initially, but started to feel pretty stale after playing for about a month. I deleted it after that. I liked playing with friends, but I'm not interested in, like, joining a clan and playing competitively. Plus there seemed to be a pretty limited number of maps.

The Division

Got this one as part of a Humble Monthly, too, and I like it!! I don't know why, but the game's setting managed to really grab me. It's fun (so far) running around a natural-disaster version of Manhattan, picking off rioters and looters, and helping rebuild the base and such. Sure, it's got the hallmarks of your typical ubisoft game, but at least that's fun in single player, and I can drop into multiplayer/PVP if I want to (which I won't). This one actually gets me wanting to play. I'm less driven by the "accumulate more and more gear" aspect, and far more by the "play through the single player game and complete missions" aspect.

Battletech

I'd been wanting to play this game FOREVER, and I'm really, really enjoying it. I guess I just dig Harebrained Schemes' game design, because I love their Shadowrun games, too. I'm just getting into the game, but it's a lot of fun so far. Looking forward to more.

Other games I've bought, but haven't had a chance to play yet: The Witcher 3 (debating whether to play 1 and/or 2 first -- leaning towards 2); Fallout 4 -- GOTY (gotta look up which mods I want to run, because I don't bother with vanilla Bethesda games); Mafia III (might play the 2nd one first, or might just get around to this later); Assassin's Creed Unity; Assassin's Creed Origins (got Unity for free, Origins as part of a bundle. I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since I finished the second one, so I'm a little reluctant to dive into the story again until I catch up...but that's also kinda daunting to me, given the sheer number of games I'd need to play -- Brotherhood, Revelations, III and its side games, Black Flag, Syndicate, etc.). I've enjoyed the Assassin's Creed series, but it can be kind of daunting to dive into. Can anyone comment on the single player stories for the AC games, and whether you really need to play the earlier games to "get" the stories moving forward?

I played Witcher 3 without playing the previous two and you can still get a gist of who everyone is and what's going on. You won't be lost. I played the second game afterwards and it's probably smaller than one of the Witcher 3's DLC. If you have the GOTY version and are going to play it straight through, doing all the side missions, you're in for a long ride. I played it all the way through and it took probably 3-4 months at least, playing between 1-3 hours a night.

Fallout 4, I would play through once without mods and then you can pretty much figure out what you want to mod later on. I think the bulk of the ones I used were mostly extra building parts for the settlements.

I just got done playing Battletech through three times (2 campaign and one career). It's extremely fun once you figure out the game play, like movement phases and evasive. Once you get pilots that have their skills at least to 9, you can easily leg or headshot enemy mechs. That's still really satisfying each time I play!

I played Witcher 3 without playing the previous two and you can still get a gist of who everyone is and what's going on. You won't be lost. I played the second game afterwards and it's probably smaller than one of the Witcher 3's DLC. If you have the GOTY version and are going to play it straight through, doing all the side missions, you're in for a long ride. I played it all the way through and it took probably 3-4 months at least, playing between 1-3 hours a night.

I didn't even remember the first two games by the time I played the third. I didn't feel lost at all.

Fallout 4, I would play through once without mods and then you can pretty much figure out what you want to mod later on. I think the bulk of the ones I used were mostly extra building parts for the settlements.

That's what I did. My first time through was done with no mods. After that, I installed a "cheat" mod so that I could get infinite parts for building. I also put in mods to get around the build limits, to enlarge the build areas, etc. I never installed a mod that wasn't for settlement building or for glitch fixing.

Sekiro : shadows die twice
This game is terrible, I’m not joking either.
I’m not complaining On how hard it can be. I have no problem with that. The main issue is it’s not fun. No real enjoyment or a feel that you did anything. You sneak around ( no where like you should be able to do) poorly and can’t grapple anything that should be able to grab. So you lose points on a nod to Tenchu. Then you get into fights with soldiers and bosses. None of it you can truly make the character or style or fight yours. You must learn the others combat move set to block or perry them. Strike them with your crappy weapon once or twice. Redo your move perry or block then strike again. Run away and repeat over and over. I feel as I’m almost playing mortal kombat with each boss. I just need to trade out my controller for a joy stick and smash buttons to do a combo.

Anyway I’m highly disappointed since I hadn’t time to play it until maybe last week. And this is what I got..a beautiful looking game with no playability or fun. Oh well guess I’ll find something else to play again. Yes I have beat it too.

I think if The Witcher 2 is just a smaller version of The Witcher 3, then I'll probably start there and move on when I'm ready.

Anyone here playing or played Battlefield V? Does it actually improve?

How about Anthem? The reviews I've read of it have been...not very encouraging.

I havent played the Battlefield games since BF3, but I'd heard they had really gone downhill. Sorta jumped on the CoD model of pumping out less than stellar games real fast to cash grab.

Of the ones on your list, Battletech is great, and the new Assassins Creeds are damn good. I'd never really played them, aside for maybe an hour of AC2. Played a ton of Odyssey, with barebones knowledge of the real world story stuff and its fine. The Real world stuff is barely in it, and the Greece story elements are awesome. I watched my roommate play Origins and it looked great as well. Since then, I've bought Black Flag on a steam sale, and Unity for free but haven't started them up yet.

On PC it does seem that big AAA games can be really hit or miss, but the smaller studios and indie teams can put out amazing stuff lately. Battletech is a good example, but stuff like Stardew Valley is made by one guy and its one of the best games I've ever played.

My problem with the Battlefield games is that they are pumping them out too fast. I got super excited for BF3 because it was 6 years after the second game. I played BF4 a lot, but I got bored after the first DLC came out and never played the others even though I had them all. They are a LOT of fun if you find a great group to play with, but it takes a lot of time to unlock everything even if you're a good player.

I think if The Witcher 2 is just a smaller version of The Witcher 3, then I'll probably start there and move on when I'm ready.

Anyone here playing or played Battlefield V? Does it actually improve?

How about Anthem? The reviews I've read of it have been...not very encouraging.

I'd avoid Anthem. The long term plans for that game are literally unraveling by the day and I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to cut their losses and abandon it since the player base has dropped down to a fraction.

I skipped Battlefield V this installment due to the far removed "artistic license" they decided to take with history.

I, too, am getting a new PC. It’s currently being built by Puget Systems. My last system was a water cooled PC only 5 years old and, as far as I could figure, the pump kept failing but not before my cpu roasted slowly in the background. I’m going back to trusty old air cooling. Puget Systems are pricey but I like they test even individual parts and do thermal maps to configure for optimal cooling. 1TB enterprise level M.2 SSD drive, EVGA RTX 2080 XC. This one’s going to last.

I’m looking forward to Sekiro, World War Z and Wasteland 3 as well as more VR.

Last edited:
I don't mind the "artistic take" on history (e.g., having a lot of female combatants), but I have to say that Battlefield V just feels completely underwhelming. And the hamster wheel of grinding for unlocks anymore...I dunno. I just have a hard time doing it if the curve is too high. I can tolerate it in moderation, but to be perfectly honest, I think the mechanic is stupid, archaic, and is meant to create a kind of addiction to the game that masks otherwise crappy design or uninspired gameplay.

In a way, Battlefield V reminds me a lot of what Civilization V was upon initial release. It felt hollow, it felt like they changed something fundamental (although in BFV it's a bit tougher to pinpoint what that is, whereas in Civ V it was one unit per tile), and it just soured me on the whole thing.

In positive news, I also picked up a copy of Kingdom Come, which I'm hoping will be a rollicking good time. And since it's set in Bohemia, I suppose I'll just have to pour myself a glass of Pilsner Urquel while I play. :)

ROBOCOP, GTA 5

Aspect ratio and exact resolution:
1.77:1 - (16:9) 8192x4608 (most monitors/TV's)
1.85:1 - 8192x4428
1.90:1 (Dragon VV and 8K Helium Full Frame) - 8192x4320
2:1 - 8192x4096
2.35:1 - 8192x3486
2.37:1 - (RED 8K Wide) 8192x3456
2.39:1 - (often called 2.40) 8192x3428
2.40:1 - 8192x3413
2.44:1 - 8192x3357

Dude, what the hell did I watch? A russian made Robocop on a PS3?

I build my current PC with a liquid cpu cooler and just last year (about 4-5 year mark) it also died. from what I can tell, they just don't last as long as fans. My cpu survived well enough and I just bought another one to toss on it and its running great, though I do now keep a temperature monitor program running at all times with warnings and auto shutdowns at dangerous temperatures hehe

I built my current PC about 3 years ago and I used the Corsair H100i liquid cooler. It's a closed system because I still don't trust watercooling where you pipe it yourself. That just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Anyway it's still working fine. It does have a program to shut it down if the cooler goes out.

I started playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution again and I like this game so much more than the sequel. The only flaw, IMO, is that you have to play nonlethal to get the most XP. That is one thing the sequel did better. I think they need to rethink stealth games, because I'm pretty sure a military or paramilitary organization would notice pretty quick if one sentry isn't checking in.

Still playing Battlefront II. I mostly play Starfighter, so I've been frustrated that that mode has not received new content since TLJ came out, except for a ship or two and a hero showdown mode, and even those were a year ago. Someone told me the contracted developer that did the starfighter stuff, Criterion, isn't working on the game any more so don't hold my breath. :(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back