The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

KrangPrime

Master Member
I don't think we have a free for all thread for video games. if so, please delete.

one of the things i've been wondering lately is if I should bother upgrading to xbox one for battle front.

the 360 still serves my needs, as I mostly use it to download games. i'd only be getting it for battle front.

the other thing that worries me was earlier reports that supposed it 'spies' on you through the kinect camera.
not sure if that was either true or resolved...but something that stopped an upgrade purchase early on.

Personally I like to wait for the for first hardware upgrade, and price drop. By then, any bugs are worked out, and the processors tend to run cooler. I stil have my first gen. PS3 and Xbox 360 and they both sound like 747s. I'm in no rush to play the latest and greatest. I'm living a happy life of cheap games and by the time I upgrade, I'll be able to score some cheap games for that. Of course I'm also still playing games on my Atari 2600 also...

I think the XB1 is just now starting to pick up steam, at least for me. When we got it I basically went from a couple hours a day on my 360 to zero on the XB1.It feels like without backwards compatibility that my favorite games are trapped on the old hardware and I find myself having to use the 360 anyway. Idk I guess my opinion is that this whole generation feels needless and greedy, and that if I was a tiny bit more computer literate I would have done a PC build instead. I hate that 360 controllers and peripherals don't work on it as well. The release of games like Fallout 4 is reassuring, but I can't imagine having purchased XB1 at launch.

I'm a Nintendo loyalist. Only got a PS3 because it was a kickbutt BluRay player and there were about six games I got for the system that were pretty cool. Would never under any circumstances support the XboX. Microsoft may have a player base, but mother of mercy do they make some embarrassing decisions. The Kinect was an interesting idea that failed to live up to it's potential, the 'original' XboX One DRM was downright insulting ("Don't like it? Buy a 360") and their handling of company owned IPs just doesn't seem creator friendly at all. They buy out popular gaming studios along with their IPs rather than create their own. Their biggest IP is Halo, a game that was originally announced for the Macintosh and introduced by none other than the late Steve Jobs himself.

Also? Splatoon. Some of the best and most fun I've had in an online game in a long time.

I have an Xbox360 with a RROD sitting in a box. Should I fix it and sell it or just junk the whole machine?

I have an Xbox360 with a RROD sitting in a box. Should I fix it and sell it or just junk the whole machine?
If you can fix it yourself, I'd say do that. If not, the cost of repair may outweigh any benefit of selling it. Also, probably ought to look into recycling it rather than landfilling it in that instance.

I think the XB1 is just now starting to pick up steam, at least for me. When we got it I basically went from a couple hours a day on my 360 to zero on the XB1.It feels like without backwards compatibility that my favorite games are trapped on the old hardware and I find myself having to use the 360 anyway. Idk I guess my opinion is that this whole generation feels needless and greedy, and that if I was a tiny bit more computer literate I would have done a PC build instead. I hate that 360 controllers and peripherals don't work on it as well. The release of games like Fallout 4 is reassuring, but I can't imagine having purchased XB1 at launch.

I built a PC for my living room recently, having never done much computer stuff beyond swapping memory or hard drives. It's actually stupid easy, provided you can take your time and follow written instructions well. I had a minor snafu where I had connected the power pins wrong and thought I'd biffed it big time, but a very short jaunt through the motherboard manual showed me where I screwed up. Now I have a starter PC that'll pump 1080p to my tv without breaking a sweat.
That having been said, I still do most of my gaming on console, just for convenience sake. I'm sure during the leadup to the XB1 I probably came off as a bit of a Microsoft apologist, but I'm a big gamer who's owned most major consoles at one point or another, excepting the PS4. I really dig my XB1 and with backwards compatibility on the horizon for lots of popular 360 games I think it's getting to be a better deal all the time. Which isn't to say that I hate Sony or think the PS4 isn't good. For me personally it came down to a very simple toss up. I'm more invested in Halo than Uncharted. With Final Fantasy having gone multi-console I am finally in a place where I don't feel like I have to own every system to play all the games I want, I can get my holy trinity (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) fix with Nintendo and play damn near anything else between my Xbox and new PC. Also, video games is why I don't have money for props anymore.

I wouldn't upgrade to a new system just for battlefront. You gotta kept in mind that it's being made by EA. which is a total turd company for multiple reasons. Plus the game will be full of little kids telling you how much ewok wang your momma sucks. The game will be buggy and overloaded for about the 1st month. When the hype dies down a bit it will be better. If you really want to upgrade, I would wait for Black Friday / Xmas deals or great trade in rates. I hate the x boxes for lots of reasons that I'm not going into about. If you enjoy that system it's cool. It takes more than 1 game to make me go out and spend some loot for a new system.

I might pick the game up, but not sure yet. With Dark Souls 3 coming out Maybe in Feb. I might just pass on battlefront all together.

the only reason I'd get the One, is if my PC couldn't handle it. but yeah, good point, I forgot it's being made by EA.

Personally, I'm a Nintendo person myself. I never bothered with the playstation. And I waited a LOOONG time to get the XBox...mostly when I heard Turtles and Simpsons arcade was coming out, that was my cue to buy it.

speaking of which...does anyone know who owns the classic turtles game library now? I want one collection with all games. starting with the first two un altered Arcade games. then the NES, Gameboy and SNES/Genesis ones. is that so much to ask for?

Also, the holy grail is a re release of Star Wars Atari Arcade. I'm surprised disney hasn't done that already.

I have just about every system from the Atari 2600 up to the XB1 with very few omissions (and I'm always looking to add retro games to my collection so PM me if you've got something!). I have to say without the slightest hesitation that my favourite console of this generation is the Wii U. SO UNDERRATED! Great games that allow and encourage local multiplayer (I don't play online. Remember when multiplayer was a social experience? That's my jam).

I have an XB1 for the multiplats. I like it a lot. My kids play games on the 360 still but all my modern gaming has moved to the Wii U and XB1. My PS3 has been played maybe 40 hours in it's entire life span (most of that was Metal Gear Solid 4). Personally, I'm really not a fan of the Sony controllers. They were innovative back in 1998 but compared to the layout of the Xbox controllers or even the Wii U Pro controller it's really dated in my personal opinion.

BUT let's not make this another XB vs PS fight. I hate those. Just because I prefer one doesn't make the other bad and vice versa!

My favourite system of all time would probably have to be the SNES. It's got everything!

I don't think we have a free for all thread for video games. if so, please delete.

one of the things i've been wondering lately is if I should bother upgrading to xbox one for battle front.

the 360 still serves my needs, as I mostly use it to download games. i'd only be getting it for battle front.

the other thing that worries me was earlier reports that supposed it 'spies' on you through the kinect camera.
not sure if that was either true or resolved...but something that stopped an upgrade purchase early on.

One of many issues why I went from Xbox and Xbox 360 to Playstation 4 as my first Sony console

so do I, my #9 in the order, I'm on my tenth 360 console since Dec 2005. Better to buy an "Elite" 360.

Personally, I'm a Nintendo person myself. I never bothered with the playstation. And I waited a LOOONG time to get the XBox...mostly when I heard Turtles and Simpsons arcade was coming out, that was my cue to buy it.

Same here, bought a used Xbox in 2004 and the 360 at launch. Skipped Nintendo after the Gamecube since sooo many games I wanted to try never made it to Nintendos console :(

My only console is an XBox 360.
It's my second one, actually - the first one had a crap CD player and I was constantly having to take the thing apart to fix it.
Eventually I just got so fed up with the POS I grabbed the CD tray and ripped it right out. Felt good. Then I had to buy another XBox.

My new XBox 360 is a much better machine - faster, quieter, and this CD player plays double-layer DVDs (the previous one didn't).
But, of course, it's always a trade off with Microsoft, and this one refuses to acknowledge my wired controllers.
So now I have to go buy wireless controllers and chargers.
(I bought a used wireless controller at GameStop last week, and when I got it home the left trigger didn't work. Typical).

The only reason I bought an XBox 360 is because that was what I was familiar with.
A roommate had one, and that's what I learned on.
I wish I'd done some comparison shopping, because I would have bought a PS3 instead.
Then I would have a BlueRay player and wouldn't have to pay for the privilege of using my own internet that I'm already paying for!

I bought my first 360 for a single game: Borderlands.
I've bought other games, but for the most part they're all "one-and-done", and games are way too expensive to play once and shelve,
so I rarely buy new games anymore. In fact, I'll probably trade most of them this weekend when I take a bunch of crap to GameStop.
Including Borderlands 2 - I hate that game.

for me, the cube started my slow decline of video game love. I felt Mario 64 was a HUGE step backwards after World. I HATE having to replay the same world, just slightly altered. that's not replay value. that's lazy design work. sadly that trend continues with the galaxy games. finally beat galaxy 2 after five years.....I picked it up once, stopped. picked it up twice, stopped after sandy. finally got back to it. it was fun the first time around. it was still fun with the first round of prankster comets. by the time I got to the green star comets, I wanted to throw the game out the window I was so tired of the same old levels.

I also HATE free roaming games. 95% of the time I have no idea where I'm supposed to go, and by the time I figure it out, I'm so bored or frustrated I quit the game. The new Zelda games are impossible to play without a guide and that sucks the fun out of it. The only Zelda game I can replay is the first one and get any sort of enjoyment out of it. all the others are one and dones. I STILL haven't gotten around to beating skyward sword yet. I just found the damn cat and stopped the game cold. 20 minutes to find and rescue a cat.
I put the game in again just last night now that Galaxy 2 is taken care of, and the last time I played it was last march. What works for the japanese audience doesn't always work for the american one.. it feels like a big waste of time with all these long pointless side quests..some you have to do in order to advance.

I've always waited for revised versions and general bug-fixes. On the downside, that's meant I've often missed out on initial launch fever, when it's easy to find folks to play something with, and I don't know what everyone's talking about. But it's also meant I get games after there are patches, I don't invest in multiplayers that go nowhere (like just about anything but WOW), and that I've never gone through multiple copies of a given console. I'm still on my first (second-gen) PS2, and it works great. Ditto my xBox and Sega Genesis. I've put the most hours on my Star Wars 360 Elite (the Star Wars Kinect game is actually really fun, even if I don't have the space to actually use it right now), between gaming and Netflix, and it's still purring along just fine. All the mess surrounding the evolution of the PS3 has seen me so far not get one, but I will at some point. Backward-compatibility is important, and I like the Little Big Planet games. I like the black Wii Elite, as it goes with the rest of my consoles (barring the R2-D2-decoed 360), but have zero interest in the Wii-U. I'm probably going to get a DS or 3DS to see how multi-screen gaming works for me, but in concept I'm not too keen on it.

I like being multiconsole, as enough games have different content depending on the console. Onimusha and The Force Unleashed spring instantly to mind.

ETA:
I also HATE free roaming games. 95% of the time I have no idea where I'm supposed to go, and by the time I figure it out, I'm so bored or frustrated I quit the game. The new Zelda games are impossible to play without a guide and that sucks the fun out of it. The only Zelda game I can replay is the first one and get any sort of enjoyment out of it. all the others are one and dones. I STILL haven't gotten around to beating skyward sword yet. I just found the damn cat and stopped the game cold. 20 minutes to find and rescue a cat.
I put the game in again just last night now that Galaxy 2 is taken care of, and the last time I played it was last march. What works for the japanese audience doesn't always work for the american one.. it feels like a big waste of time with all these long pointless side quests..some you have to do in order to advance.
I don't think it's Japanese vs. American. Free-roaming can be handled well or badly. I love how Bethesda handle it for Elder Scrolls and Fallout. In Skyrim, for instance, I'm pretty high-level, I've maxed smithing, alchemy, and enchanting, I've made some badass Legendary Daedric armor and the best weapons, all double-enchanted for max effect... and now I'm ready to get back to the main story. *chuckle* I've scouted nearly everywhere on the map, I've completed one of the two DLC side stories, I've bought all the purchasable houses in the various cities, and all three properties outside of them, all built and decorated to the rafters. I've married and have two kids, and I still haven't met Parthornax yet -- which, for those that haven't played, is about five percent of the way into the main quest. I love the side quests and getting to know the territory. I've never felt lost, and I've never had to do something to not stay stuck at a particular place in character progression. My only negative experience with it is one side quest that glitched right at the end, so I can never complete it.

--Jonah

Last edited:
I don't think it's Japanese vs. American. Free-roaming can be handled well or badly. I love how Bethesda handle it for Elder Scrolls and Fallout. In Skyrim, for instance, I'm pretty high-level, I've maxed smithing, alchemy, and enchanting, I've made some badass Legendary Daedric armor and the best weapons, all double-enchanted for max effect... and now I'm ready to get back to the main story. *chuckle* I've scouted nearly everywhere on the map, I've completed one of the two DLC side stories, I've bought all the purchasable houses in the various cities, and all three properties outside of them, all built and decorated to the rafters. I've married and have two kids, and I still haven't met Parthornax yet -- which, for those that haven't played, is about five percent of the way into the main quest. I love the side quests and getting to know the territory. I've never felt lost, and I've never had to do something to not stay stuck at a particular place in character progression. My only negative experience with it is one side quest that glitched right at the end, so I can never complete it.

--Jonah

To me, that's too much real life stuff. I don't care about getting married in a video game, I want to bust some heads! ;o). In the time I spent trying to rescue that cat, or now going after my loftwing, I could have gotten three 3D scenes finished and rendered ;o).

heh, I was watching Big Bang THeory repeats the other night, and there was an episode where Penny started to get addicted in these world encompassing games. she finally realized she needed help when she made a virtual date to go to a virtual bar ;o). that about sums up my thoughts on these free roaming games ;o)

You can trade it in to GameStop as-is, actually. They'll take off a chunk of the worth for it needing the repair, but it's probably still a decent amount. When I did it, it was during a bonus trade-in, and I ended up with enough money between that and the other trade-in credit I had, that I only had to pay about $20 for a replacement system and 3-year warranty.

I need to figure if my 360 freezes up connecting to the net due to a bad cable or the HD being bad. I need to get another one but the elites are worth more now than to start with and even the middle of the road 360s are expensive still.

I don't really play video games anymore. It kinda saddens me. Anyway, the only games I enjoy now are Red Dead Redemption and Zelda:Ocarina of Time. They're the only ones that I can manage to play without hesitation. Zelda:OoT is the videogame that I've played most. Kinda grew out of playing video games but that one has been with me since release date, twice more on promotional Gamecube releases, on the Wii virtual console, and 3DS. Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game. I couldn't believe it. It was recommended to me by a guy at work who was supposedly the #1 player in the world online for that particular game. Bought the game of the year edition in 2012 for $30. Didn't like it at first because of my hesitation with gaming. Requires me to really put in effort to play. Gave it a shot about 6 months later and it is Rockstar's best game, in my opinion. Story is good so single player has loads of replay value for me, and online multiplayer was just so much fun.

When I tried Skyrim, another one highly recommended to me, I got headaches. lol. Haven't gotten past the part where you select which class your character is or something. I'm waiting for another Red Dead game to consider buying a PS4. While I'd really like to try Super Mario Maker, I know I won't in the end.

My first gen PS3 got a "ylod" (PS3 equivalent of rrod) after 8 and a half years. I fixed mine since it is still useful for me. Anyway, in case you want to fix it, I suggest buying the RROD/YLOD repair kit from IFixIt. Has the tools required and everything else. You'll end up paying a few bucks less buying the kit than if you were to buy each thing individually. The kit has quality thermal pads and paste for the overall price and quality pads&paste are important. They're surprisingly expensive if you were to buy them separately.

Anyway, I assume the process for Xbox is the same as PS3. You have to open the console and remove everything that is removable from the motherboard. It can be time consuming but it is best to take all the time you need to ensure you'll do it right. Then you have to remove the old thermal pads and clean everything. And then heat the entire thing up with a heat gun, mainly the CPU&GPU and soldering underneath. After a few times of heating it up and letting it cool, you apply new paste and pads and put it all back together. Easy process. I fixed my PS3 on the first try and runs quiet now for about 2 hours before the fan really kicks in. And it took me around 2.5hrs fixing it. If you want to have it fixed, I'd recommended you do it yourself because the people who offer repair services charge $80+. Last I remember, the kit was $30.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back