The Video Game Thread - anything and everything...

so is the world war z game any good?, I am also liking the days gone trailer's..

Got a little time invested in World War Z, which follows the movie and not the book if anyone was wondering. It's basically a third person Left 4 Dead. So if you're a fan of Left 4 Dead you're in luck. Fortunately I love the Left 4 Dead games and will be getting the upcoming Back 4 Blood successor when it comes out.

But in the meantime, especially if you're a console player who never got to experience any of the Left 4 Dead games, you can finally have a Left 4 Dead like experience. Like Left 4 Dead, while you can play with bots, it's definitely a game meant to be played with other people. One thing my brothers and I used to do and sometimes still do is play through the Left 4 Dead games on the insane hardest difficulty, usually knowing we weren't going to survive most of the time, but just to see how far we could get or if any of us would make it to the end of the level. The game is one of those games that is still fun even if you don't survive because you always have great stories to tell and once in a while you will be that one guy who makes it out alive.

It has a lot of the same beats the Left 4 Dead games have from spawning hordes, chokepoint defense portions in levels and the typical gather a certain amount of an item to bring to an area or fix a piece of machinery to escape.
Even a lot of the special zombie types are ripped right from the Left 4 Dead special types. The swarm mechanics are pretty neat to see, where hundreds of zombies basically create human pyramids as they scramble over each other to get up walls to get at you, and you'll often be hit from multiple directions at once keeping the tension levels high.

Controls feel a bit wonky at first and you have to get used to the shooting mechanics, especially coming from Left 4 Dead where you used a mouse and a keyboard for hyper accuracy, running and gunning in this game should only be used in desperate times like when you're making that final run to the finish. Otherwise it's good to hunker down and clear out a horde before moving on. Especially with limited ammo and you want to waste as little as possible between ammo cache's.

What it doesn't have from Left 4 Dead is being able to continue to shoot your pistols when you go down and are waiting to be revived. Kinda missed that because sometimes you're down a while waiting to be picked up and in Left 4 Dead you can still fend off the hordes with your pistols.

However what WWZ has that Left 4 Dead doesn't is character classes all with their own progression trees of unlockable skills unique to each of the class types which definitely adds to the replayability of game. Also a much larger assortment of weapons complete with customization options to really help you style up your character with a customized build.

The zombies themselves are more like the infected in Left 4 Dead in that you don't need to shoot them in the head to the kill them. You can hit them anywhere and they will die and they are also fast and pretty super human like the infected instead of Resident Evil styled shambling zombies. But overall it does capture that same level of tension as Left 4 Dead does which is really what I was looking for. Once I get used to the game and all the levels it will definitely be one I try on the hardest difficulty just to see how far I can get.

My copy of Days Gone should be arriving later this week and I am really excited to get into that.

For any of you table top RPG types, I picked up Pathfinder: Kingmaker which I find to be pretty fun. this was my first foray into the Pathfinder world compared to D&D but I find it a lot of fun.

Speaking of tabletop RPG's, if there are any players out there, Shadowrun 6th Edition was just announced to release this summer.

Also a new Earthworm Jim game from the original devs was announced as a launch title for the upcoming Intellivision Amico.

Last edited:
I tried getting into The Witcher 2, but...

- The voice acting was....not great.
- The tutorial bugged out and seemed needlessly complex.
- The in-world lore that you apparently have to know to understand what the hell is going on is off-putting, given the other factors. Like, I don't want to invest my time and energy learning a game system if the game's internal design is already kind of wonky.

Not sure I'm gonna continue with that one, and might just skip to The Witcher 3, which hopefully features less fiddly crap with signs, potions, and other nonsense I can't be arsed to commit to memory at the moment.

I'm losing interest in Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, mostly because it feels very, very, very different from good old Red Orchestra: Ostfront. The learning curve is, so far, not very fun at all, and from what I've heard, it's gonna take some 50(!!) hours to get to a point where the game is actually fun. No thanks. If the core gameplay can't grab me out of the gate, I see no purpose in investing 50 hours just to make it fun at a baseline. Your game is either fun and requires me to learn to make it more fun, or it's work.

More and more I find myself becoming extremely critical of gaming in general. I'm looking for a very specific experience from gaming. My gaming time is limited to maybe -- MAYBE -- 2 hours each day. If I'm gonna spend my time playing your game, you gotta grab me right up front. Your game has to be instantly fun for me. That doesn't mean your game can't require me to learn to play it better, but the base gameplay from the first second I start playing has to be fun enough to encourage me to keep playing. If you can't do that, or if your game is "Well, it's fun, but you really have to slog through the first 20 hours to---" NOPE. Sorry. I'm moving on to something else instead.

Games are entertainment. They are not work. If I'm working to try to enjoy your game, your game is not for me. I should enjoy it from the start, and any work put in yields additional enjoyment, rather than "Ugh. I guess I'll slog through this boring, annoying crap if maybe at the end of it there's a decent game." Nope. Not gonna do that. Plenty of games are able to grab me right from the start. Battletech is a good example. The Divison is another good one. Sure, the games get more complex and interesting and deep the longer you play, but right from the jump I'm invested. That's what I'm looking for anymore.

Not sure I'm gonna continue with that one, and might just skip to The Witcher 3, which hopefully features less fiddly crap with signs, potions, and other nonsense I can't be arsed to commit to memory at the moment.

Yeah about that... There's just as much if not more potions, but you get an encyclopedia after your either encounter a monster or read a book about them that tells you what works with what. Really you could probably play and ignore most potions except for health potions and blade oils which give you buffs against certain monsters. There's even a mod that applies the correct oil automatically when you encounter a monster. I also don't think you necessarily need to use signs either. It's been awhile so I can't recall if any of the signs were really that useful. You can make your character totally weapon oriented by upgrading only those.

Oh I would recommend a mod that makes it so you don't need to pay to break down an object. That just seemed idiotic so I modded that my first game, which I usually don't do.

I'm losing interest in Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, mostly because it feels very, very, very different from good old Red Orchestra: Ostfront. The learning curve is, so far, not very fun at all, and from what I've heard, it's gonna take some 50(!!) hours to get to a point where the game is actually fun. No thanks. If the core gameplay can't grab me out of the gate, I see no purpose in investing 50 hours just to make it fun at a baseline. Your game is either fun and requires me to learn to make it more fun, or it's work.

Yeah, Rising Storm 2 has a pretty high learning curve. I can't even remember when I was only 50 hours in. I currently have 761 logged hours in it now and I still haven't reached the 99 level max.
I still like it though. It's the only current Vietnam game out. Just today there was another big update, I'm actually downloading now at 9gigs. New maps and new weapons.

Yeah, Rising Storm 2 has a pretty high learning curve. I can't even remember when I was only 50 hours in. I currently have 761 logged hours in it now and I still haven't reached the 99 level max.
I still like it though. It's the only current Vietnam game out. Just today there was another big update, I'm actually downloading now at 9gigs. New maps and new weapons.

Yeah, it's just hard for me to justify devoting that much time to learning a game that isn't really grabbing me that quickly. I think I'll give it a little more time to see if it can grab me, but if it can't, well, the setting isn't something I'm SO into that I would want to devote hundreds of hours to the game, or even 50 hours before it actually starts getting fun. I want to have fun right out of the gate.

This is a novel and unique idea. I’ll probably get one just because it’s so strange.

Screencaps from Star Trek Online

HUoJqd0.jpg

PwftPoq.jpg

cQyBsIC.jpg

I have been absolutely LOVING Battletech. Even without mods, it's a blast to play. I highly, highly recommend it if you dig giant robots and turn-based combat.

I've also been enjoying blowing stuff up in Far Cry 5. I never take the Far Cry games particularly seriously, but I do enjoy them nonetheless. Far Cry 5 is fun and pretty to immerse yourself in. I'm looking forward to its post-apocalyptic "Sequel" when I get round to it.

Also gonna try Kingdom Come soon.

I went back and am replaying the Just Cause games. Finished 4, almost done with 3 and 2 is already installed and ready to go. I'm just waiting for The Outer Worlds later this year.

I have been absolutely LOVING Battletech. Even without mods, it's a blast to play. I highly, highly recommend it if you dig giant robots and turn-based combat.

I just finished a third game a few weeks back. I'm waiting for Flashpoint to go on sale and the Urban Warfare DLC on Tuesday. It's soooo satisfying to headshot a mech or melee kill one!

your playing them backward's? or is that how there suppose to be played? color me lost lol

I played 4 after it came out in December, then I wanted to keep going so I'm playing them backwards. It isn't like Just Cause is known for it's stellar story or anything. It's just fun.

I tried getting into The Witcher 2, but...

- The voice acting was....not great.
- The tutorial bugged out and seemed needlessly complex.
- The in-world lore that you apparently have to know to understand what the hell is going on is off-putting, given the other factors. Like, I don't want to invest my time and energy learning a game system if the game's internal design is already kind of wonky.

More and more I find myself becoming extremely critical of gaming in general. I'm looking for a very specific experience from gaming. My gaming time is limited to maybe -- MAYBE -- 2 hours each day. If I'm gonna spend my time playing your game, you gotta grab me right up front. Your game has to be instantly fun for me. That doesn't mean your game can't require me to learn to play it better, but the base gameplay from the first second I start playing has to be fun enough to encourage me to keep playing. If you can't do that, or if your game is "Well, it's fun, but you really have to slog through the first 20 hours to---" NOPE. Sorry. I'm moving on to something else instead.

Games are entertainment. They are not work. If I'm working to try to enjoy your game, your game is not for me. I should enjoy it from the start, and any work put in yields additional enjoyment, rather than "Ugh. I guess I'll slog through this boring, annoying crap if maybe at the end of it there's a decent game." Nope. Not gonna do that. Plenty of games are able to grab me right from the start. Battletech is a good example. The Divison is another good one. Sure, the games get more complex and interesting and deep the longer you play, but right from the jump I'm invested. That's what I'm looking for anymore.

Witcher 2 lost me too. I was a bit overwhelmed by the same stuff as you but I also couldn't get the combat down in it. Witcher 3 however, kept my attention and somehow I seemed to pick up the combat MUCH quicker and I continue to enjoy playing it to this day.

Like you, my gaming time is pretty limited basically a few hours a week really. It could be more but I'd rather just really just rather relax than play. I've almost lost interest in gaming entirely, it feels like due to work requirements and it is hard to find something that will hold my attention beyond a few plays...like you said, I think I'm looking for a specific gaming experience and when I don't find it, I stop playing all together.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back