The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook

Ah, i forgot. The back of the emitter is painted in black. Correct?
frjj.jpg

Ah, i forgot. The back of the emitter is painted in black. Correct?
View attachment 1542631

Yes it is. Here is a great thread for you to poke through and gain a bit more info on this saber.

And a general guide to Luke ROTJ saber information.

Last edited:
Hey guys---

So it's time for me to be honest and real about ye ol lightsaber bible. I've gone over a year now without updating, and I feel bad about that, and there's so much information that needs to be added... but it has been exceedingly hard to do this for a few reasons, and I want to share those in hopes of maybe seeing how you all feel.

TIME is the biggest factor, every time I update it takes days. Whenever I add info, sometimes pagination gets changed, sometimes I have to reorganize, sometimes I have all new entries to add, Given that the initial version was thrown together without this much growth in mind, there's no automation of pagination. Every time I add an entry I have to renumber the pages and check all the cross-reference notes. If I were starting from scratch, I could set up dynamic pages, but back when I started this, I didn't, and that is biting me in the ass now.

There's also the time meant making sure I have the best res possible for images, and double checking with all the people who send me stuff I am not sharing anything that I shouldn't because of NDAs and what not.

That brings me to the second big problem-- while I have always made it clear information is mostly supposition, and that it is a living document meant to change as discoveries come to light, I now find myself haunted a bit when people get huffy about the info being wrong. Mainly because some people hold on to older versions, or are not up to date on some of the conversations we have here. There's also conversations in facebook groups and on other forums that I don't participate in. My ability to keep track of facts is hard, and it I get messages (some friendly and helpul, some rude) poking at me to update one little thing for that person's liking.

There's also the fact that with all the new Star Wars productions, there are more people here getting access to archived material, or in some cases, even working on the shows, or getting access to other people working on the shows. This information though sometimes conflicts. I have several cases where people I consider go-tos have very different information, and neither of them can publicly say where they got their info from, and they may not be agreeing with each other. For example, I have been sitting on an entry for Luke's saber in Mando because we still can't agree on the belt-hanger's provenance.

When my experts don't agree, OR, they cannot legally share their information widely, it's hard for me to know what to put in the book. I don't want to put out false information, but I also don't want to lay out a fact without a source, and I definitely don't want to get anyone fired or blacklisted from what they do.

There's also been a lot of growth in the community, and there's some people who want to keep info private. We've seen this a lot more lately when somebody has insider info, and they just don't want to share it. I'm not debating whether this is good for the community, or bad, and again, peoples reps and jobs could be on the line, but at the end of the day, it makes it hard for me to know what I can say, and what I cannot. Also, there's some people who still don't like that I have done this at all because they liked the information being more private (even though I've never put anything in that isn't publicly available in RPF threads.

While I can make entries that list the alternate theories, this again makes entries longer than will fit on pages as I have them. Some sabers, like say the ANH Graflex is really pushing its boundaries, while others sabers are very simple and bare bones. Then there's a simple page like the ANH Obi-stunts or the Pipe stunts that now have so much info I couldn't contain it-- when I can't fit one entry per page it throws of the uniform design and means I have to change the page six, like I did once before, but this means an entire redesign which is a huge job not that we've swelled to over a hundred pages.

I have toyed with the idea of crowd sourcing more of it, asking some of you to write entries-- but this doesn't alleviate the design time. I've thought about making it into a website that is easier to update as things are learned, but I'm not a web designer and would need help. and again, who do I give the keys to to update? Cause the people I have in mind are great, but don't always agree, lol.

I'm open to suggestions as to how to continue to do this without it turning into a full time job that is going to generate cranky emails and arguments amongst us.

Maybe re-envision the entire thing from a PDF file to a small WordPress based website? Then each lightsaber gets the dedicated page and image gallery it deserves, and you don't have to worry about losing image quality, as you then have the full-sized photo right there on the webpage. I suggest this, because it's what I do for the Jurassic Park Encyclopedia (Jurassic-Pedia) that I, and others like SickleClaw, help run, and I've generally found it to be the simplest way to just dump a lot of visual information into one place that's both easily publicly assessable, and simple to edit and format. It might end up costing a little to maintain the webpage name, but you could also add a donation widget to the front page to help with costs associated with the website as well as obtaining information (vintage saber parts don't run cheap). Additionally, you could always expand this to other classic Star Wars prop info like Han's blasters, E-11s, helmets, etc.

As for concerning yourself with who wants what info out there, I'd say tell 'em to suck laser bolts. I've always despised gatekeeper fans who like to hoard knowledge to maintain some kind of feeling of superiority over the rest of the fandom. Information is meant to be shared, not hoarded for internet points. I'd say put everything you can that's not locked behind an NDA in there, and screw the whiners.

Last edited:
Or....kickstart/GoFundMe the guide and make it a full time job. Get paid for it!
Yeah, but... I don't want to leave my actual job behind. It pays a lot better.
Maybe re-envision the entire thing from a PDF file to a small WordPress based website?
This is what I was thinking, but it would take time to build even with the information being already parsed 1:1 entry wise. It would have to be the perfect template, and TBH, I would likely need help. My history with websites, even via wordpress templates often makes me crazy. Before writing movies I was a print designer for 20 years. I often lose my patience with web design when I can't mke it look the way I want.

I'd also hate to run into the same problems as Graflex bank or parts of Star Wars where something happens and the site gets left behind in the ether.

If I did this and there was a donate problem would people throw in a buck or two here and there to cover hosting costs?

Maybe re-envision the entire thing from a PDF file to a small WordPress based website? Then each lightsaber gets the dedication and image gallery it deserves, and you don't have to worry about losing image quality, as you then have the full-sized photo right there on the webpage. I suggest this, because it's what I do for the Jurassic Park Encyclopedia (Jurassic-Pedia) that I, and others like SickleClaw, help run, and I've generally found it to be the simplest way to just dump a lot of visual information into one place that's both easily publicly assessable, and simple to edit and format. It might end up costing a little to maintain the webpage name, but you could also add a donation widget to the front page to help with costs associated with the website as well as obtaining information (vintage saber parts don't run cheap). Additionally, you could always expand this to other classic lightsaber prop info like Han's blasters, E-11s, helmets, etc.

As for concerning yourself with who wants what info out there, I'd say tell 'em to suck laser bolts. I've always despised gatekeeper fans who like to hoard knowledge to maintain some kind of feeling of superiority over the rest of the fandom. Information is meant to be shared, not hoarded for internet points. I'd say put everything you can that's not locked behind an NDA in there, and screw the whiners.
I’d agree on both points. A Wordpress site would keep the reformatting and length issue to a minimum, and gatekeepers can stuff it. Legal documents aside there’s no reason to have information stay hidden.

I don’t know about websites or book software, but if you need any help with anything I’d love to help somehow. This has been a great resource for me personally and it’d be a shame to see it go.

This is what I was thinking, but it would take time to build even with the information being already parsed 1:1 entry wise. It would have to be the perfect template, and TBH, I would likely need help. My history with websites, even via wordpress templates often makes me crazy. Before writing movies I was a print designer for 20 years. I often lose my patience with web design when I can't mke it look the way I want.

I'd also hate to run into the same problems as Graflex bank or parts of Star Wars where something happens and the site gets left behind in the ether.

If I did this and there was a donate problem would people throw in a buck or two here and there to cover hosting costs?
I would definitely donate. Especially if there was a way to set up an automatic recurring payment

I would absolutely donate a few dollars, and I don't even build anymore.

We’ve got enough factual data for a single page spread on the cave Hero, I think the other experts can corroborate there even if some images are technically locked up.

Honestly what I see is the expansion of a single document has become cumbersome as more “Star Wares” are being added (ok I’m coining that term)

It could be (if considering reformatting…) a division to clean up all the entries by splitting documents into separate prequel, OT, and sequel+.

I know that doesn’t solve the immediate issue but most of the contended data is coming in from the new movies and shows as you mentioned… but perhaps something to consider moving towards in the long run to make it more bite sized as new information gets uncovered

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back