Luke Skywalker’s Return of the Jedi lightsabers (a primer)

scarf man

Scarf Signal - "When The Bat Signal just won't do"
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Luke ROTJ sabers, Identification thread

* Glossary located at the bottom of the post.

1). THE V2 ( belt hanger in ROTJ ) ( sail barge, deleted sandstorm, Endor, & throne room scenes )
[ machined aluminum construction ]
{ greeblies; Graflex clamp, Transcriptors reference turntable conical knurled knob, boot stud, computer edge connector card, unknown long lever in graflex clamp, D ring }
[motorized bladed Obi-Wan stunt in ANH]
1608876640627.jpeg

1608876680930.jpeg

1608880772506.jpeg

1608876724731.jpeg

1608876957887.jpeg

1608876782393.jpeg

1608876842115.jpeg

1608876874487.jpeg

1608877010708.jpeg

1608877057749.png

More detailed discussion here:

…and here:

2). The V3 or Shared Stunt ( Endor, & Vader duel scenes )
[ used as stunt in ANH & ROTJ, hence the term “shared stunt” ]
[ cast aluminum construction ]
{ greeblies; Graflex clamp, custom clamp card, D ring }
1608877128384.jpeg

1608877188177.jpeg

1608879445191.jpeg

1608877234096.jpeg

1608877271840.jpeg

[shot into space on the shuttle]
1608877323126.jpeg

3). R2 fired resin stunt ( sail barge scenes )
[ resin cast of shared stunt ]
1608877380650.png

1608879507206.png

4). Climbing resin stunt ( sail barge scenes )
[ resin cast of shared stunt with emitter tip ] *Citation needed
1608877437603.jpeg

1608877478212.jpeg

5)."Yuma" Stunt/ Proto Hero ( sail barge scenes, short bladed stunt )
[ first iteration of the Hero ] [ machined aluminum construction ] { greeblies; triangular belt ring }
1608880246003.jpeg

1608879569322.jpeg

1608879616486.jpeg

1608879711455.jpeg

1608879744769.jpeg

6)."*Hero" (ISYHCANL)
[ second iteration of the hero ] [ turned aluminum & greeblie construction ] [used for pickup shot in the film]
( *redressed yuma stunt )
1608877746704.jpeg

1608877779147.jpeg

7). *Hero ( Magic of Myth tour ) [deleted scene illuminated LEDs & circuit greebiles in control box]
[ third & present iteration of the hero ] [ turned aluminum & multiple greeblie construction ]
( *further redressed yuma stunt )
1608877812507.jpeg

1608878042399.jpeg

1608880302064.png

1608880345271.png

8). Resin Stunt (Magic of Myth tour)
[ cast from hero ]
1608878105403.jpeg

1608878146631.jpeg

* Glossary:

Stunt: Shorthand for stunt prop, or background prop, or fx prop.

Yuma: Location of filming for the sail barge scenes of Return of the Jedi. Yuma, Arizona U.S.A.

ISYHCANL: Shorthand for Darth Vader’s dialogue from the scene where the prop appears.
”I See You Have Constructed A New Lightsaber”

V2, V3: Shorthand for version two & version three.

For more detailed info. on Lightsabers from this, & other characters, check out SethS‘s The Ultimate Guide to Lightsabers eBook
eBook discussion here:

Special thanks to LOM, thd9791, Dewy, teecrooz, BAlinger15, & SethS for helping with pics.

More pics from later in the thread in post #5

Last edited:
I've heard that wooden ones were made, but I've never seen proof.

The metal Yuma saber, from what I've heard has the the same exact body as the Hero. The only differences were the control box and I've recently noticed some paint differences. There appear to be a few black paint flecks on the lower "booster" section (for lack of a better name). And the copper painted neck looks more like a dirty gold with some major paint chips out of it.
lukerotj2tt3.jpg

And here's either a resin or possibly wooden copy:
vlcsnap5331257ly2.jpg

Photos from the rest of the thread: Updated 2020

The V2
1608866023161.jpeg

1608880571073.jpeg

1608880605211.jpeg

1608880643559.jpeg

1609578137286.jpeg

1609578258409.jpeg

1609578303716.jpeg

_______________________________________________________________________________________

The Shared Stunt (V3)
1609578407535.jpeg

1609578355282.jpeg

1609578442712.jpeg

________________________________________________________________________________________

The Yuma Stunt (coming soon)

________________________________________________________________________________________

The Hero (coming soon)

The Mandolukian (coming soon) ?

The Creepy Uncle (coming soon) ?

Last edited:
Okay so the saber used to fight in Yuma was a metal stunt different from the shared stunt used in the end. That shared stunt has no nipple

http://www.baudalign.com/lee/pics/lukevader.jpg

got it.

Do mine eyes decieve me, or is there black paint under the emitter on the Yuma saber under his chin? And maybe...maybe is that the remnants of paint below the control box? could this have been another repainted stunt from A new hope? It's got a tiny emitter that looks re-finished too....ooh...just like the V2...hmm

And without a doubt that saber on his belt is wooden or plastic, the thing is so dull looking and it flops so much as he climbs..

just my 2 cents!

Okay so the saber used to fight in Yuma was a metal stunt different from the shared stunt used in the end.
Correct.
Do mine eyes decieve me, or is there black paint under the emitter on the Yuma saber under his chin? And maybe...maybe is that the remnants of paint below the control box? could this have been another repainted stunt from A new hope? It's got a tiny emitter that looks re-finished too....ooh...just like the V2...hmm
Unlikely to the point I would say no. The ROTJ hero (Yuma) saber doesn't show up in any behind the scenes pics, or on screen until circa ROTJ production.
And without a doubt that saber on his belt is wooden or plastic, the thing is so dull looking and it flops so much as he climbs..
It may be a resin cast of the Yuma. I don't think there is enough information about this particular saber to make definitive statements.

Last edited:
Correct.

Unlikely to the point I would say no. The ROTJ hero (Yuma) saber doesn't show up in any behind the scenes pics, or on screen until circa ROTJ production.

It may be a resin cast of the Yuma. I don't think there is enough information about this particular saber to make definitive statements.

I would say it (resin cast) is most likely a re-cast of the V2, that neck is rather thick. From what I've seen and heard the Yuma stunt was slightly smaller in most dimensions, including that bell shaped emitter. Edit: albeit actually looking longer as well.

As for the others, haha I might have gotten carried away there, thank you.

I might be necro posting, but I tried to make a new thread and it was deleted due to the fact it wasn't a "new Topic" per se

So, here are some screencaps, taken by robn1 of the duel in the death star. Shared Stunt? Most likely --> the saber has a copper-ish neck, dark gray emitter and gray body (except it looks like where the clamp should be it's all black/scuffed)

Anyways, much like the "luke practice" shots Parts of SW has on it's website of a gray and dark copper saber, this looks one and the same.

ROTJ Lightsabers pictures by robn1 - Photobucket

Just to clarify a couple things...
The master for the "Shared Stunt" and "V2" was made of wood. Those two ANH stunt sabers were cast copies from aluminum.
The wooden master saber was never seen on screen. Propstore had it on display at Comic Con last year. Old timers may remember it when it was up for auction many years ago. Several other prop bits were made from wood and cast in aluminum for ANH like R2's blue flipper arms.

The lightsaber on Luke's belt as he climbs up the barge. I used to think it was the Shared Stunt, but I've recently found that the Shared Stunt was missing the emitter nipple in scenes shot earlier so it can't be the same saber. Most likely the barge saber is an older cast of the Shared Stunt (nipple intact). It's clamp has holes drilled in it and the standard Graflex lever which matches the Shared Stunt and not the V2.

Just to clarify a couple things...
The master for the "Shared Stunt" and "V2" was made of wood. Those two ANH stunt sabers were cast copies from aluminum.
The wooden master saber was never seen on screen. Propstore had it on display at Comic Con last year. Old timers may remember it when it was up for auction many years ago. Several other prop bits were made from wood and cast in aluminum for ANH like R2's blue flipper arms.

The lightsaber on Luke's belt as he climbs up the barge. I used to think it was the Shared Stunt, but I've recently found that the Shared Stunt was missing the emitter nipple in scenes shot earlier so it can't be the same saber. Most likely the barge saber is an older cast of the Shared Stunt (nipple intact). It's clamp has holes drilled in it and the standard Graflex lever which matches the Shared Stunt and not the V2.

Very cool, I never knew. Thank you!

I always figured it was from A New Hope somehow, and not the same. It looks like the grip was painted and deteriorated/browned over time.

Necro Posting! After this shot cropped up on facebook, looks like a post production shot documenting props, It looks like this is that same metal ISYHCANL prop. I can't see, not sure if the control box is addled yet, this looks like something from the 80s. Looking at the emitter/neck and the ratio's in dimensions I would have to say the this is NOT the same as the Yuma, can't be. Looks dead on to the Hero prop though.

It's Labeled Luke 2, Luke 1 might be the V2 or one of the Yuma or stunts used in the Death Star,

Just some more 2 cents :)

PS If I may add, the thing I can't explain is the difference in the Yuma and others - the small diameter emitter, bell shaped with a taller mid section, and smaller "small steps" and a longer neck with smaller diameter windvane - It's all general feeling I don't have exact measurement proof, just looking realistically. - Actually the "Barge Saber" made form wood or resin has the same look as the Yuma, with the small emitter and such. Not quite the same as this photo.

Last edited:
so, I found this clearer picture of the "mystery" barge climbing saber - Picture 46.png

I'm eating my words. The neck on that above is nearly black...

Here's a picture of that "dummy" box on the metal one
Picture 47.png

Last edited:
Here are some extra pics

R2 Dome saber - elstreecrapcm1.png

ISYHCANL - jedsab3.jpg

The "Luke 2" is a good finished Hero form the archives.

Resin stunt - hotheqpt.jpg

check.

Does anyone have any idea if the little red and green lights and well as the two black buttons next to them on the resin stunt prop were resin pieces or plastic pieces?? Thanks!!

On my first generation cast of the hero, the buttons & arrows (red & green lights) are part of the cast. I think it's a safe assumption that the prop dept. molded the saber whole. So, resin would be my answer.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back