The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Keep in mind that I don't own a vintage handwheel and am not trying to assemble a real-parts Obi, but I would personally never consider rechroming a handwheel that has the majority of the chrome left. Of the ones there, I'd only even entertain the idea of rechroming the one on the left, which is missing substantial portions. There are no rules, but this feels like refinishing vintage furniture that looks worn, but really only needs a clean and minor repairs to stabilize it.

If you want a perfect handwheel, I'd get a replica and display the vintage ones next to the saber. But the character of the vintage ones is better anyways.

Keep in mind that I don't own a vintage handwheel and am not trying to assemble a real-parts Obi, but I would personally never consider rechroming a handwheel that has the majority of the chrome left. Of the ones there, I'd only even entertain the idea of rechroming the one on the left, which is missing substantial portions. There are no rules, but this feels like refinishing vintage furniture that looks worn, but really only needs a clean and minor repairs to stabilize it.

If you want a perfect handwheel, I'd get a replica and display the vintage ones next to the saber. But the character of the vintage ones is better anyways.
That’s a good point tbf.. I’m not keen on restoring a Hales for that exact reason.

Yes I don't think you are going to find a lot of people here in favour of "restoring" a vintage obi part. There was a whole thing quite a few pages back with a very cleaned up balance pipe :lol:
Most of those you showed are pretty nice looking :)
Choose the best one for you, I'm sure that people will be happy to buy the others if the price is right ( the market is a bit saturated right now)

Yes I don't think you are going to find a lot of people here in favour of "restoring" a vintage obi part. There was a whole thing quite a few pages back with a very cleaned up balance pipe :lol:
Most of those you showed are pretty nice looking :)
Choose the best one for you, I'm sure that people will be happy to buy the others if the price is right ( the market is a bit saturated right now)
Noted haha! It’s okay. I like the weathered look anyways :) a cleaned up balance pipe wouldn’t be my gag either. Long as that RPFer is happy though!

If you intend to add a D-ring in the near future, then perhaps it would be wise to keep any of the screen-accurate handwheels at hand in case you'd need a spare, when the drilling of your handwheel should result in any damage done to the plastic cube intended for the D-ring.

Here's the tutorial how to drill a hole for a D-ring by the honorable James Kenobi 1138 :

Chaïm

P.S. Also do make a mention in your sales post when you'd want to sell the incorrect larger Bath handwheels so as not to attract buyers who want to build a screen-accurate ANH lightsaber, yet rather those that want to create a custom lightsaber instead ;)

Last edited:
Hi ChrisRWars ... welcome to therpf ... I'm very curious to see the grenade section that goes with your windvane after repairs ... meanwhile here's an overview of all the vintage all real parts lightsabers currently posted in my new Obi-Wan ANH Lightsaber Picture Index :

View attachment 1794436
View attachment 1794437
View attachment 1794439

Chaïm
Pardon my ignorance, and maybe it's been addressed before, but about what percentage of existing real parts Obi sabers would that represent? Asking for a friend ;-)

I have about 60 owners in my list, some of which have more than one lightsaber either compleet or as display parts, some have been sold already ... in all between 65 and 70 all vintage parts Obi-Wan ANH lightsabers are known :)

Chaïm

Slightly different approach but as far as I know, there has been 8 motors found so far were all female BP were sold, so around 72 female BP out there.
Then there is the 9th motor find by Franck in France but it's incomplete and he hasn't put the parts for sale yet as far as I know.

Now obviously some of those 72 female BP were used as standalone display pieces, but a few people will also have vintage lightsabers with male BP as well.

It doesn't give a really clear estimate but I thought it was cool to discuss this as well :)

Thanks eethan ... yeah ever since parfatelumiere and Romans Empire started the converting of male Balance Pipes into female versions many more owners were able to complete their precious all vintage parts lightsabers ... so that makes at least over 70 possible lightsabers worldwide ;)

OB1 - ANH.jpg

Chaïm

Still a rare prop to own.

I remember, when a SET of male/ female BP´s from the first (or second ?) motor was offered at 750usd...and I refused to buy, because I found it too expensive back then *LOL*

corliss1 ... I just checked your pictures this afternoon before you posted your reply, alas they are to low in resolution to use in my template ... so make certain they are large JPG ;)

RoyDeckard a grey background is fine too ... A3 or better A2 in size should suffice :)

Chaïm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back