The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Sym-Cha, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

36982194141_27e4dd9421_o.jpg

Please . . . for those of you with completed real vintage parts OB1 ANH lightsabers or perhaps still in the process of collecting vintage parts . . . do feel free to add your precious lightsaber and/or your work in progress pictures :)

Chaïm

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

36935478256_87702547d3_o.jpg

Here's a break up of all the vintage parts involved and their origin in the real world ... I believe this picture was made by James Kenobi 1138 ... if I recall correctly :)

Chaïm

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Shoguno, Jaffa007, Red Hawk and 6 others like this.
  3. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is mine, which if I'm not mistaken was among the first wave of real vintage parts sabers - I acquired it in 2009 from RPF member "Killdozer." He was the gentleman who figured out that the "gear" piece was the Browning ANM2 machine gun recoil booster. When I received it from him it was 99% complete - all I had to do was install the D-ring and the transistors.

OB1 001.jpg OB1 002.jpg

In the years since, I've picked up a machined cone piece for mounting the balance pipe, a faucet knob that's in much better shape (the original has significant chrome peeling), and most recently a pair of shorter transistors. One of these days I'll get around to the upgrades.

OB1 003.jpg

And here are a few pics of the individual parts...

Balance pipe:

OB1 004.jpg OB1 005.jpg

Grenade:

OB1 006.jpg OB1 007.jpg

Booster:

OB1 008.jpg OB1 009.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll have mine up soon... juuuust "finishing" up.

newmagrathea and Sym-Cha like this.
  5. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here´s where I am at currently.

2C7135A0-0FB7-4329-94D5-63F5C76B2C39_zps4ryhk34h.jpg

Shoguno, Jaffa007, Bengrim09 and 13 others like this.
  6. veektohr

veektohr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]

Still looking for that perfect grenade, but it makes me smile every dang time I look at it.

1.5 years from start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaffa007, AndrewJ, ms80444 and 7 others like this.
  7. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Veektohr, that grenade looks fantastic! What more could you ask for?
    Still finishing details on mine so I'll wait a bit longer to post.

veektohr and NeoRutty like this.
  8. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Just post yours now . . . and edit with upgrade pictures lateron ... I for one don't mind :)

Chaïm

Bengrim09 and Panaflex like this.
  9. veektohr

The top won't screw in fully - there's like .75 threads that won't go in, and the windvane isn't crimped (more like a smooth flare out). All super nit-picky things, like I said. You know how it goes! This thread is going to be full of so much eye candy [emoji7]

Panaflex and Sym-Cha like this.
  10. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So here's my contribution collage for now. Still have transistors to weather and some other minor tweaks.
    The main photo shows the BP and cone askew so that also needs adjustments.
    Cant seem to enlarge the photo on my phone. I'll update when I can.

IMG_0350.JPG

11. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This thread is golden

cjchiu and Sym-Cha like this.
  12. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

SW_Saber_Large.jpg

This picture, as seen above, was published in Harry Harrison's Mechanismo, which ultimately set me on my quest to track down the same parts as used in 1976 for OB1's ANH lightsaber ... so for me it's been quite a journey, which started a long time ago . . .

Mechanismo%20cover_zpsivrav6sm.jpg

That said OB1's lightsaber is still a pretty good story to tell my friends and relatives about, who are unknown of the origin of the seperate parts ... for me it's the #1 lightsaber :

SWLightsaber01.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Shoguno, Fusion, thd9791 and 4 others like this.
  13. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

new tab/window for larger.

scottjuaCruciblecustomProps012017025.jpg

scottjuaCruciblecustomProps012017026.jpg

scottjuaCruciblecustomProps012017027.jpg

scottjuaCruciblecustomProps012017028.jpg

scottjuaCruciblecustomProps012017029.jpg

scottjuaCruciblecustomProps012017030.jpg

Shoguno, MakBzh, ms80444 and 15 others like this.
  14. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. NeoRutty

This thread will be the push that gets mine finished this weekend! I wanna play!

Sym-Cha, cjchiu and veektohr like this.
  16. cboath

cboath Master Member

I've got a 2" aluminum tape, but i think it's going to be too thin.

halliwax likes this.
  17. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's my baby. All real parts. Still need to add the transistors and a d-ring. I'm super nervous about drilling the handwheel for the d-ring, though. Not sure I'll ever add that to mine.

ObiANHSaber3.jpg

18. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

19. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I love this thread! :thumbsup
    What's the best way to attach the Armitage sink knob?

20. veektohr

I'm a fan of the carriage bolt, washer, & coupler method.

redbutton, thd9791 and russellsch like this.
  21. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I believe a pretty common method is a carriage bolt through the end, which everything else fits over/threads onto - that's how mine is set up:

OB1 010.jpg

22. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Thanks guys! :cheers
    LOWES here I come :cool

23. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The american 1/4" square shoulder carriage bolts are a bit small, but just enough to nearly match the square hole on the sink knob!

where are y'all finding these "training" grenades with paint on them?!

24. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I need to take new photos of mine.

[​IMG]

thd9791, Sym-Cha, veektohr and 4 others like this.
  25. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mine is just a pressure fit and its jammed on there good. It would probably take a lot to get it off the threaded part of the booster.

Sym-Cha and russellsch like this.
  26. veektohr

Yours was the first I ever saw James! It's how I caught the fever...

27. scottjua

Yeah I'm skipping the D ring too... I don't want to risk it. Also my sink knob is just pressed onto the booster... mine is not tight, but it won't fall off either.

28. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Perhaps James Kenobi 1138 could assist? Though you'll have to take the pommel off the saber ... here's James's tutorial :

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=113901

Even if you did get your hands on a real vintage G R A F L E X case D-ring? :$

Chaïm

29. scottjua

But I haven't :(

Sym-Cha likes this.
  30. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

I'm only half way there. :rolleyes

One day I'll get the last couple parts (the really expensive parts) ;)

Sym-Cha likes this.
  31. NeoRutty

I drilled mine and Edraven's and it went pretty easily. Nerve racking, yes, but it's done!

Still don't have an actual D-ring in yet... but the hole is there for it.

Do iiiiit.

halliwax and Sym-Cha like this.
  32. newmagrathea

newmagrathea Sr Member

Oh man drilling is the hard part, putting it on is easy. I'm still scared to drill mine.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  33. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

At times I wished I would have been content with my very, very first ready made OB1 ANH replica lightsaber ... I presume made by Parks (?) ... it already looked remarkebly old and vintage to me before Russrep and Romans Empire took over . . . so before I post my all real vintage parts lightsaber when it will be completed ... here's what made me really excited back in 2005 or so :

Parks-Obi-Wan_zps8018c522.jpg

Now let's return to adding multiple pictures of those real vintage parts lightsabers ... :)

Chaïm

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  34. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Actually both of my display sink knobs are drilled if anyone wants to do a swap for one that isn't drilled... however, both are re-chromed, one has a small flake out of it because the dumba** I see when I look into a mirror accidentally dropped it, and the other is a bath knob and would need to have a hacksaw taken to the inside stem to make the booster fit properly...

35. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

I can't stress enough how much i want a real perts Obi but i know i will never own one due for it's uber-rare and even more expensive parts!
    My wife would kill me... probably at night with a real parts saber hit while i'm sleeping... :lol

Anyway, i can drool over all these pictures at least! Gorgeous!

Panaflex and Sym-Cha like this.
  36. Shinobi

Shinobi Well-Known Member

I can't wait to post in this thread as well. Just waiting for the grenade (it's only been like 8 years :cry) to complete everything. This is what happens when you are picky about accuracy and trying to find a grenade in good condition at the same time. Still holding out hope that it will happen one day :)

Panaflex, veektohr and Sym-Cha like this.
  37. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Shinobi ... you are allowed to show pictures of your vintage saber in progress even if some parts are still replicas as long as you mention it, that way we also get a clear picture how many rpf members are collecting vintage parts and how many are being build at this moment in time :)

Chaïm

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  38. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

And ... did you get yours finished?

Chaïm

39. NeoRutty

Ended up spending most of my weekend looking for a place to live/store my props. heh.

I DID get the D-ring on, but now want to redo that... I cut some of it away to make it easier to get on, and now when it flops to one side, you can see it opened (if that makes sense). My OCD is going to have me redoing it. So I'll get one added into my Roy order in the next weeks.

Tonight I just gotta shave down the bubble strip, and I'll post something as an "in the mean time" version

I also took a bunch of paint off the grenade, and am still trying to get just the right weathered look.

So all that said... nope. :D

But I'll post something tonight, cuz now that I have to be moved in 3 weeks, I may not get to mess around with anything for a bit.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Sym-Cha and newmagrathea like this.
  40. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Why not add a piece of the same size wire with some JB weld inbetween to cover that gap in your D? That's the prop-makers way of fixing your OCD :wacko Looking forward to your pictures :)

Chaïm

41. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

Hey NeoRutty ! When I installed the D-ring on my Roman's MK1 FX I just spread it open with a set of needle nose pliers just far enough open to slip over the cube, and then I crimped it back shut with the inner jaw grooves of some Channel Lock pliers and the round cutouts of my crimping needle nose pliers. Didn't cut any of the D-ring ends off or anything. Works just fine! In fact, I can tell it's not 100% parallel in there because it hangs up ever so slightly, which is fine by me because it means that it cannot flop around at all! It moves when I want it to, but not on its own. ;) I only wish I had wrapped the pliers before crimping the D-ring back shut as they bit into the D-ring somehow. I thought I was being careful, but it's nothing I couldn't fix with a little sand paper. I keep meaning to ask Romans Empire if the D-rings are stainless steel or just chromed mild steel. I guess I could just slap a magnet on it and see if it sticks, hmmm... well, that settles that, it's chromed mild steel. Maybe that's why I never sanded it? Oh well, I'm better prepared for the next one I suppose!

42. NeoRutty

The last D-ring I tried it on, the pliers chewed holes in it while trying to seperate. This I was able to open easily once the cuts were made cuz I could hook on of the ends on an edge and pull.

When I squeezed it back together it went so easily I realized that if I could just pull it open without the cuts, this would work much better... and I figured a way to pull them apart... just need to get another D-ring (the others I have are slightly too thick to get into the hole)

43. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

EEEK!!! Just put a set of needle nose pliers inside the D and open them. VOILA!

44. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Question : Which position of the pommel cubes would you prefer and why ... the ones as seen on the Tunesia lightsaber (1st in below picture) or the ones seen in the after production pictures?

[​IMG]

Chaïm

45. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

Hey Sym-Cha ! I have my Roman's MK1 FX set up more like the Chronicles version where there is a cube lined up with the Bubble Card and the D-ring Cube is about 5 Booster Fins from the Lever-side edge of the Clamp Card Holder.

Reason: It orients both the Bubble Card and the Transistors out away from my leg when hanging on my lightsaber belt so that both are visible to anyone looking at it while I'm wearing it. Even if it is mostly just me looking at myself in the mirror.

It also allows the D-ring to act as a kickstand for the lightsaber and points the Bubble Strip straight up when I set it down on my shelf. ;)

Sym-Cha likes this.
  46. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Thanks Ridire Firean ... perhaps I should have been more clear since I also refered my inquiry to the position of the longer vs. shorter slope/angle of the pommel cubes itself :)

The Tunesia lightsaber has the original postion as they came on the water tabs ... whereas the Mechanismo/Chronicles pictures have them turned 180º as seen here :

[​IMG]

Chaïm

47. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

Ahh! In that case, Chronicles there too.

Reason: It makes the lightsaber more aerodynamic when Force Locked On and thrown at the enemy.

No, really, I guess it's just because that's the way it looks in the Chronicles photo. I continue to forget that the cubes are oriented differently in the On Screen Shots. I guess mine is a real mess, 'cuz I have two washers on mine as well. I really like how scottjua has his single washer on top of his rear Transistor. I have to remember to check for his thread to see what he used for it!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  48. Ridire Firean

Ridire Firean Sr Member

I just thought of an argument for setting up the cubes with the longer edge towards the emitter as seen in the On Screen Shots that has nothing to do with the fact that it was seen that way on the screen...

When the lightsaber is viewed from the emitter end, the angle of the cubes seem more symmetrical. Kind of like how Michaelangelo carved his David with a giant head and hands, since it was meant to be viewed from below while the statue was high above on a pedestal. In doing so it made David's head and hands look like they were the correct size, and not wee bitty Whopper Jr. Hands and head. Thus, if you were more inclined to show your lightsaber from the business end, the emitter, you could orient your cubes On Screen Shot Style to convey to the viewer/fool them that the cube edges were symmetrical.

Or something like that. BEER!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  49. NeoRutty

Okay so here's where I'm at, missing one pretty important part... the bubble strip... and this JUST happened today!

So we're moving, and when showing our place to the people who ended up buying, our realtor moved a few things around in my area just to make it look a little more presentable. No biggie. I knew that was a possiblity... BUT NOT THAT DAY.

I had my bubble strip on the work station with tape and ready to sand down... I went looking for it for this pic, and I can't find it ANYWHERE on my desk.

Not gonna panic, I'm sure it will turn up as I pack over the next few days. But if it IS missing... oh man. The search will go on?!

ANYWAY, with a temp Wannawanga bubble strip, here's where it's at...

[ 33811076232_bfe7e76527_c.jpg

I may bug my dealer (Teecrooz) for lower profile transistors... but for the most part, all parts are accounted for (well... one is MIA... but it's here)

I'll update with proper pics down the line.

50. veektohr

Stunning!