The Mandalorian (TV series)

Has anyone pointed out that that's Frank Ippolito as that Mon Calamari??

Has anyone pointed out that that's Frank Ippolito as that Mon Calamari??

I knew it had to be a cameo! The first time he spoke I said “I wonder who’s playing him”

The knit is a visual shorthand for fisherman lol. Star Wars has always included some bits to make it more relatable but I admit this might be a bit too much.
Yea, that's all I figured it was. it's a visual que to let us know who this guy is. I mean, he's a mon cal, on a mostly water world... why's he even wearing a sweater? It's there to conform to our preconceptions about a fishing village, and keep us from getting to yanked out of the element.

eggs.jpg

I agree with some of the criticism but I do enjoy the show.
I'm afraid this show may be turning into a live action Clone wars and rebels. I just could not get into those shows, I tried twice.

So I had no idea who Bo Katan was, Moff Gideon with the dark saber was a WTF moment for me and from what I've read people are expecting someone known as Rex. These were just a couple of things I had to do a little research on to understand.
So they are bringing characters I have no connection with or care about.
If needing to watch these cartoons becomes a requirement to fully understand the Mandalorian show they are going to loose me.
Maybe the inclusion of these characters in the Mandalorian is the type of spark you need to develop a connection with them. Maybe you'll like them enough to give TCW or Rebels another chance. I was in your position, sort of. I always liked TCW. But I held out on Rebels for years because I didn't like the animation style. It seemed too "kiddie" for me. When I got D+ and was bored with other stuff I started watching it. I really enjoyed it. It's a great show. These are TV series so some episodes here and there fall flat. But overall, its some good stuff. The Filoni shows catch some heat sometimes. In my opinion, it is some of the best SW we've had since 83.

I don't think its a requirement to see the other shows. Everything you need to know about Bo Katan was given to you in this episode, or will be revealed later in the season. You may miss out on the fact that the characters have a whole story that you are only seeing a small piece of. But I think that the small piece is the only part that's relevant to the Mandalorian.

In 1977, we were introduced to Obiwan Kenobi. His character made sense, even though we didn't know all his back story yet. We can all enjoy the Alec Guiness character more now that we've seen his earlier Ewan McGregor incarnation, but that wasn't a requirement before SW '77. I liken the Mandalorian's inclusion of Ashoka Tano, etc., the same. They're fine without the extra backround from the animated series, they're better with.

I would say that if anyone wants to get a feel for any of the "cartoon" characters, just watch the last 4-5 episodes of the Clone wars TV show. it's slightly better animation, voice acting, etc than the rest of the show; has zero "oh look, it all kind of worked out because we need everything back to the status quo for the next episode" , and includes Bo, Ashoka, Dark Saber, etc, all kind of nicely wrapped up in a bow, and takes place almost exclusively on Mandalore in the final week of the clone wars, and covers the death watch being thrown off of mandalore (the folks that appear to have become Din's culture). It's written and "filmed" more like a 4 part mini series, and as a person who could never really get into the cartoons, I still highly recommend it. If you like mandalorian culture and stories, you'll like those 4 episodes.

In 1977, we were introduced to Obiwan Kenobi. His character made sense, even though we didn't know all his back story yet. We can all enjoy the Alec Guiness character more now that we've seen his earlier Ewan McGregor incarnation, but that wasn't a requirement before SW '77. I liken the Mandalorian's inclusion of Ashoka Tano, etc., the same. They're fine without the extra backround from the animated series, they're better with.

100%, even skipping the last 4 episodes of clone wars, a person will be just fine watching mandalorian.

The difference is that I don’t hate Obi-Wan, and Ewan McGregor is a great actor despite the bad scripts and direction he was given. The same can’t be said for these other characters.

Little different when that backstory didn't really exist other than in George's head.

The difference is that I don’t hate Obi-Wan, and Ewan McGregor is a great actor despite the bad scripts and direction he was given. The same can’t be said for these other characters.
I guess my question would be, why do you hate the characters?

Do you hate their character arcs, because they actually do have one?

Do you hate them just because they were in shows that you hate?

Or do you just hate them because you have issues with their existence at all?

I'm not asking you to justify your opinion, I'm just legit curious.

I took my son to see The Clone Wars movie when it first came out in theaters, & I absolutely HATED Ahsoka. I equated her to Ewoks. Today, I'm more excited to see her in this show than anyone that's been rumored.

That's why I ask.

I guess my question would be, why do you hate the characters?

1. Do you hate their character arcs, because they actually do have one?

2. Do you hate them just because they were in shows that you hate?

3. Or do you just hate them because you have issues with their existence at all?

I'm not asking you to justify your opinion, I'm just legit curious.

added numbers to help clarify answers. a lot of us that are a bit bummed about these characters tend to come from the same places.

First and foremost, a lot of us mostly just don't want to see them in mandalorian, because LIKED mandalorian without them, it's a change, that seems unnecessary, and they are characters from shows that had completely different tones from mandalroian; so there's great concern that to make the cartoon characters seem "right", they will have to change the tone of the mandalorian.

1. a lot of the frustration for me, comes from the long running serial nature of the cartoons. they are meant to be watchable by young kids, so long term serious consequences are few and far between, there are a lot of "kids show" plots, etc. also, everything needs to be back to "normal" after 1-2 episodes, so they can tell the next little story. This has a tendency to simplify the characters, and to make it where they are accomplishing ludicrous feats in 15 minutes. it makes them very mary-sueish, just so they can get through an episode.

2. see my first point, we didn't care for the shows, and these characters showing up signals a higher chance of mandalorian being LIKE those shows. so we'd rather the characters just not show up.

3. the character's existence is fine, they functioned within the logic of the shows they were created for. we just don't want those characters bringing stuff from those shows over with them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back