The Demolition of Our Prop Room & Birth of a Mega Den

Boba Debt

Master Member
We have a two story house and we mostly hang out in the Bonus Room on the second floor.

Kitt (my wife) has arthritis and fibromyalgia so going up and down the stairs all day long is too much for her

About a year ago I realized we would have to renovate the first floor. We decided to replace the Star Wars Room and Dining Room with a new 14 x 24 Theater Room and move the Dining Room to the seldom used Living Room.

Kitt was not very happy about this, but soon realized it would be the best solution for our situation.

The Bonus Room will become a Guest Bedroom and our house will finally have 3 Bedrooms which should help if when we decide to sell in our twilight years

I have been selling off a lot of the collection and finally started the demolition today.

It comes down a lot faster then it goes up, this took about an hour

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Most of what was saved for the final display cabinets which will be in our new Theater Room.

004.jpg

This will probably be gutted by the end of the week.

005.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Demolition of Our Prop Room

Quite a task...but you´ll make it!
I´m still impressed by your woodworking skills :thumbsup

Markus

I finished removing the cabinets today, it's off to the land fill tomorrow.

006.jpg

I'll be using 8 panels of grid wall in my new display cabinets but that left me with 10 panels that would have been hard to get rid of.

Luckily I had a friend from work that needed a way to display some McFarland Action Figures so I gave him a good deal now I don’t have to worry about selling them over the net :)

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the progress. Looks like a fun project! Hope all goes well

The one good thing about starting over, is having a chance to start over! Looks like you've get a very special set of props to display. Have fun with it! ::grabs sledgehammer:: :)

I swear, you are like the Bob Villa of the RPF. From the kitchen renovation to this. Amazing work.

I swear, you are like the Bob Villa of the RPF. From the kitchen renovation to this. Amazing work.

You mean "Boba Villa", right?
And was that a riff on Tim Taylor?!:behave

BD, I am always amazed how fast renovations and changing and adding rooms to houses is made in the U.S. Way more flexible than over here.

Looks good so far, and good decision to switch rooms. It´s always amazing what a little rethinking and can create.

Michael

I would have a lot more done but I'm working 10 hours a day at my job and I'm finishing up a kitchen for some friends.

If it wasn't for the rain I wouldn't have gotten anything done on this project.

You mean "Boba Villa", right?
And was that a riff on Tim Taylor?!:behave

BD, I am always amazed how fast renovations and changing and adding rooms to houses is made in the U.S. Way more flexible than over here.

Looks good so far, and good decision to switch rooms. It´s always amazing what a little rethinking and can create.

Michael

Last edited:

BD, just an aside. Give your wife my best, please. Tell her I said she's fortunate to have such a dedicated, handy husband. My wife has Crohn's disease and Fibromyalgia, so I know how tough it can be to play the support role sometimes. Hang in there, bud. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the completed conversion. :) :thumbsup

Wow, what an undertaking. I can't wait to see some progress pics up to the final conversion. Best of luck situating things the way you want. I'm sure it will look fantastic!

BD, just an aside. Give your wife my best, please. Tell her I said she's fortunate to have such a dedicated, handy husband. My wife has Crohn's disease and Fibromyalgia, so I know how tough it can be to play the support role sometimes. Hang in there, bud. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the completed conversion. :) :thumbsup

Thanks I appreciate the sentiment and I wish the best for your family.

Even though the floor won’t be going down for a while I picked up enough do the entire first floor:

008.jpg

How can a garage look that clean? lol. I wish we had some of your skills here, there's a ton of improving to do. I can't wait to see what it looks like finished.

The garage is actually quite messing in that picture, I'm just finishing up a kitchen project and I need to do a total wipe down and re-org.

As for the skills needed, between the internet and cable there are so many resources that can teach you how to do this, all you have to do is be willing to give it a try.

My professional education in renovation is limited to a 9th grade wood shop class.

How can a garage look that clean? lol. I wish we had some of your skills here, there's a ton of improving to do. I can't wait to see what it looks like finished.

Last edited:
Re: The Demolition of Our Prop Room & Birth of a Theater Room

I decided to incorporate home automation into the Theater Room and after very little research I went with Z-wave products.

I hit Ebay and bought the following for less then $700

• Monster Universal Home Theater & Lighting Remote - $75
  • 2 GIG Wireless Alarm & Home Automation System - $250
  • 2 Gig Radio Thermostat - $99
  • Additional 2 GIG Key FOB - $19
  • Four GE Dimmer Switches - $110
  • Four Intermatic Outlets - $100
This a a great start but I'm going to buy a second thermostat and some smoke/fire detectors once I get the system running.

The best part is that it's easy to add on to this system, I can buy dimmers and outlets as needed to expand our "mesh network"

My only issue is that no one makes an inexpensive way to turn on fans, the switch for just the motor is $130 then you have to have a second switch for the lights. I don’t mind paying the price but I don’t have the room for 2 switches. You would think a company would make a Z-wave remote box that fit inside the fan housing but I guess they're still on the drawing board.

Last edited:

I have been working a lot of overtime and finishing up a kitchen for a friend so I haven't made much progress since my last post

I moved a window and reinsulated the entire room with a product that is more efficient and has sound deadening properties.

I built the stub walls that will eventually be the backs for Kitts "Prettys" display cabinets.

All of the wiring is done and that was very time consuming. I didn't do much to the electrical wiring but I did have to install cable and telephone everywhere. I also ran speaker wires for a 8.2 system, currently we have a 7.2 system but I wired up the rear center channel for future expansion.

I also installed an alarm system and a lot of home automation Z-wave products.

I just finished hanging the drywall and I'll start taping it tomorrow.

It' hard to photograph the room but here are a couple shots

009.jpg

010.jpg

Last edited:

BD, your making my back hurt just looking at these pics. I have a 3rd floor Man Cave to drywall and I don't want to do it. Hauling about 20 4x8 sheets of drywall up 2 flights of stairs does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Good luck with that flooring. While I love Bruce flooring, I hate installing it. If I didn't have my own nailguns, I'd hire someone to do it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back