The 2 Obi ANH sabers - which is onscreen, when?

Here are screen caps from the 2011 Star Wars Complete Saga on bluray:

6155674951_ece415149f.jpg

-Ss

Nice screen caps ssdesigner,

So this must be the stunt version? (See picture in quotes) The ring of holes is missing and the FX beam of light starts also higher up i.e. almost the same as on Luke's ROTJ lightsaber, however the windvane looks quite the same as the ones in the other pictures. Or is that an optical illusion? What's going on here?

-Chaim

What exactly are we looking for here?

THe only real difference I see is that windvane wheel is higher towards the emitter, and there seems to be some round disc covering a majority of the windvane blades. Maybe the windvane wheel was loose and kept moving up during use, so they attached some kind of stopper or spacer.
Ill have to take a better look, im on my phone right now and its hard to see.

Is it possible that the tunisia pic has a resin cast grenade? It looks as though the grenade grooves arent as deep as the other images. Maybe a quick rough resin casting?

Maybe it's the lighting or the angles, but I'm noticing something odd. In the shots from the duel there is the very silver and very obvious "reflector" in the emitter, but there doesn't seem to be one (or not the same one) in any of the other shots. I don't know at what point in the production schedule the duel was filmed, but is possible the reflector was a late addition to the design or part of the "rebuild" that explains the differences in the saber through the film. Or am I just completely off my nut here?

Anytime you see a blade on Kenobi's saber that's the cast stunt saber and not the Hero.

The cast stunt saber has a black emitter. It eventually became the Luke ROTJ V2.

Anytime you see a blade on Kenobi's saber that's the cast stunt saber and not the Hero.

Maybe I should have been more clear... The shots of the hero during the duel sequence vs. the hero in other sequences. When he's holding the saber prior to ignition and when it's on the floor after the duel, the reflector is evident and appears to be very close to the inside edge of the ring of holes. On the other pics the area inside the emitter is not only darker but also appears to have greater depth, as if the reflector is not there at all.

Last edited:

Thanks, but I'm not sure that really answers my question. The entire thread is based on the assumption that there is something in there, that it's in there all the time, and what it might look like (for the purpose of recreating it).

My contention is that the "reflector" that is clearly in the emitter during the duel sequence, may not be in there during other sequences. Like I said, it may be the angles or lighting, but there is a significant difference in the amount of reflectivity within the emitter and an apparent difference in depth as well.

Maybe it's a little late in the process, since the experts have already decided what the answer is, but maybe this merits another look?

I don't think this prop will ever be considered "done", at leas not in my book.
The process of figuring this particular prop out will not end for me until my time here ends.
It wasn't my intention to shut you up with the link I provided, merely to add some info relevant to your question.

With the advent of the bluray releases of the films, I had hoped the discussion of this prop would continue.
I'm glad to see it has.

Now as for your question, I agree that the emitter hole does appear deeper in some screen caps.
Perhaps if there were two hero sabers, one was constructed differently i.e. without a reflector at all.
It may also be that we have been mistaken about the "reflector" being integral to the attachment at the grenade stem, and it was a piece that fell out or was added for the shots where in the prop was pointed towards camera.

I'm a little lost as well, I thought the Yuma sail barge saber was the one with the flat emitter and nipple? The stunt Mark Hamil used in the death star (Known to be the shared stunt) had a flat emitter and a hole for the "blade" not like the one we see in the close up above.

As for the hero prop, It looks like Alec is holding a molded copy of the grenade with a lot less detail in some pics. I don't think that's a fuzzy camera shot. Sometimes our Gut reactions are truer than we think

*slaps forehead
duh! thanks guys

So...if the graflex clamp could slide around on these, does that mean there was some sort of pipe under the grenade? that they painted the bottom black to look like the gear

To state that the graflex clamp could slide around on these I can not, since this Obi-Wan stunt one in above picture is the one that held electronics and a small motor to make the blade spin around to create the light effect, which as we know was eventually abandoned and replaced with an animated lightbeam in post-production.

It is also said that Obi-Wan stunt lightsabers were cast in metal from a mold made after a wooden original that looked quite a lot like the Hero Obi-Wan ANH minus the graflex clamp and less elaborate windvane.

It is seen here behind the autograph of Dave Prowse :

Luke-ObiSharedStunt01.jpg

-Chaim

^ That would be this one correct?

Luke-ObiSharedStunt04.jpg

-Chaim
Correct.

I always think that there were only one hero and a couple stunt Obi's Lightsabers
We just don't know weather the prop was rebuilt after the Tunisa scenes, or a second hero prop was made for the England scenes. We do know there were indeed a couple (2) of stunt sabers, both reused in ROTJ.

*slaps forehead
duh! thanks guys

So...if the graflex clamp could slide around on these, does that mean there was some sort of pipe under the grenade? that they painted the bottom black to look like the gear
What is under the clamp? We will never know, failing the surfacing of the original prop.
Some believe there was a pipe, some believe there was little more than part of the booster, called the bearing(sometimes called the cone), fit against the lower tabs of the graflex clamp and screwed into the gear/booster.
Here are some threads to get you up to speed on what I'm talking about.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/almost-finished-real-parts-obi-wan-anh-saber-58169/#post802939

http://www.therpf.com/f13/booster-missing-piece-obi-anh-saber-update-10-31-mods-please-lock-96410/
It is also said that Obi-Wan stunt lightsabers were cast in metal from a mold made after a wooden original that looked quite a lot like the Hero Obi-Wan ANH minus the graflex clamp and less elaborate windvane.
It is not only said, it is a fact.

On a personal note, I miss Serafino. Anyone have his contact info?

It wasn't my intention to shut you up with the link I provided, merely to add some info relevant to your question.

I didn't think that at all. While there was a wealth of information presented, it wasn't entirely useful for my query. But thanks for the effort nonetheless.

I thought you were asking about the hero prop, sorry, I answered your question following that regard.

As for the stunts, well they were cast metal. The V2 was hollowed out to accommodate the motor for the spinning of the blade, no pipe or anything was necessary to keep the clamp in place. There is a ridge just where the graflex clamp meets the grenade section, the clamp may have loosened, and jumped the ridge, sliding forward.
dsc0049os3.jpg

The shared stunt was solid, save a hole drilled down into the emitter to accommodate a fixed stunt blade.

Photo courtesy of ProbeDroid from Rinzler's Making of Star Wars book.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back